3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2011 1:08 AM by Jax24135

Why is there no sound in Preview ?

ryan_khoo Level 1

Hi there,

I opened up an old project file. How, when I previewed it, it has no sound.

I have checked, the sound file is NOT muted

Any ideas why ?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Why is there no sound in Preview ?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Audio compressed? If so, this may relate to the mediua cache. Flush it from the prefs. Also check your other audio settings.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why is there no sound in Preview ?
            ryan_khoo Level 1

Mylenium wrote:

Audio compressed? If so, this may relate to the mediua cache. Flush it from the prefs. Also check your other audio settings.

Mylenium

Thanks Mylenium.

But what you mean by audio compressed ?

What is media cache ?

How do I flush it from prefs ?

I am sure the audio can be heard earlier and the audio was not muted.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Why is there no sound in Preview ?
              Jax24135 Level 3

Media caches are the short-term renderings that AE does to help with playback. They typically end up in your 'Roaming App' data folder on your hard drive. You can find out/determine where your caches are kept when you start a new project. There are the regular tabs for what your new project settings will be, as well as a second tab that lists your 'Scratch Disks' - follow the path to find your cache.

You can flush it by deleting the files in the 'Scratch Disk' folder. They are just temporary files and AE can easily rebuild the ones it needs for your current project. I also make a shortcut on my desktop to get back to my cache folder, so I can flush it regularly without having to hunt for it every time

I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but that's the only way I know of so far.