3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2012 3:59 PM by ElsHiro

how to export portions of a sequence for usage in future projects

ElsHiro

Hello guys,

I was wondering if you could help me with this.

I just finished a first episode of a documentary series. I need to use the opening and closing of this first episode for future episodes.

Could you please kindly tell me how I should go about saving/exporting the opening & closing portion of the sequence as a separate file so that i can use it or import it into future projects of the documentary series.

Both the opening and closing contain photo images, videos and audios including the soundtrack - they represent my jingle and more, so i dont want to lose anything while exporting it

I use premiere pro CS5.5 which i bought 3 weeks ago, so i am still very much a learner.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Many thanks

• 1. Re: how to export portions of a sequence for usage in future projects
          Stephen_Spider Level 3

When I finish the first in a series or want to save graphic elements for future use, I save the project under a new name. Then I de-construct the project, deleting from the project all the assets that won't be used again in the future. I clean and organize the sequences and bins, then use Project Manager to create a new self contained  "trimmed" project in a new folder. It is usually named something like "Project X TEMPLATE". The project Manager can copy all of the assets to the new Project X TEMPLATE folder.

So when it is time to do "Project X episode 2", I create a new folder for it, then open the "Project X TEMPLATE" and then immediately save the project as "Project X episode 2" in the "Project X episode 2" folder. That way the Template project is never changed, and each project going forward will be self contained in one folder that I can back up or deleted without fouling up any other projects.

It may also be a good idea to back up the whole""Project X Template" folder to a data disc, either DVD-R or Blu-ray.

You can also save some graphic sequences to an Uncompressed codec (with Alpha Channel if needed), or something like the Lagarith lossless codec, which can be downloaded for free.

• 2. Re: how to export portions of a sequence for usage in future projects
            ElsHiro Level 1

That's awesome Stephen! will try that straight away and keep you posted.

Thanks loads

• 3. Re: how to export portions of a sequence for usage in future projects
              ElsHiro Level 1

Hello Stephen, just a quick note to say thanks again. Your answer was really spot-on!

Cheers.