1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 26, 2011 8:12 AM by Frustrated in AZ

Unable to transfer ebooks from my Barnes & Noble library to Adobe Digital Editions.

jacquesroman

I am using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) with the Barnes & Noble (BN) NOOK .  I am unable to add books that have been downloaded from BN to my ADE library.

I receive the following prompt:  "Document is licensed for a different user account."  Be advised that I am correctly activated and have a valid user account.  The books that I have purchased from BN have been uploaded to my Nook without difficulty and can be read on the device.  I am able to read PDF files that I have transfered to the NOOK via ADE on ADE without problem.  The problem is with the downloaded books that have been purchased from BN.    They cannot be transfer from my computer to ADE.

I am able to read all ebooks on my Nook, since they are automatically uploaded to the Nook; however, I cannot get them onto my Adobe Digital Editions for reading there on my computer.  I talked to Barnes & Noble, but they cannot help.  They stated that only Adoble can fix this problem.  Am I prohibited from reading purchased BN books on ADE?  BN says no, I should be able to read them on ADE also.  Please advise.

• 1. Re: Unable to transfer ebooks from my Barnes & Noble library to Adobe Digital Editions.
          Frustrated in AZ Level 4

The issue is with the way - and the user ID - that B&N uses when you

transfer ebooks from their site.  Each ebook has a small file with data

about it and where it came from , including the user ID.  That user ID is

different from the one that Adobe expects to find, and ADE won't do

anything with them.  So, the answer to at least a part of your question is

that, when you download purchased ebooks from B&N, you cannot transfer them

to your computer via ADE because they were downloaded with a different user

ID.  This frustrating situation is due in part to the digital rights that

have been implemented under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act of 2000 by

B&N.  ADE just follows the rules.....

B&N people you spoke with were incorrect in saying that this is Adobe's

problem - they assign the digital rights and implement them through their

software.

===========