1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 27, 2011 9:58 AM by Frustrated in AZ

Is it possible to loan or transfer ebooks.

nzreader56

My wife and I have individual computers, ereaders, email addresses and ADE accounts. Is it possible for us to share/loan/transfer ebooks we have purchased between ourselves?

• 1. Re: Is it possible to loan or transfer ebooks.
          Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Unfortunately, an ebook can't be thought of as just an electronic copy of a

paper book.  Industry standards set up under the Digital Millenium

Copyright Act of 2000 give publishers, libraries and resellers options to

share copyrighted materials or not.  Depending on how they set up the

digital rights for the ebooks you have, you may - or may not - be able to

share.

In ADE Library view, put your cursor next to the title of the ebook you

want to share, and click on the small arrow that appears.  A drop-down

panel will appear, and in the middle of that panel is a section that shows

the digital rights.  If copying is allowed, then you can copy the ebook

from your computer to another device.

ADE will support two computers and up to four ereaders on each one.  You

can authorize your wife's ereader to your computer and vice versa, so that,

if you have an ebook you can share, you could download it to both ereaders

from only one computer.  It's a great feature - and one my wife and I

'discuss' often, as she has 'technical difficulties' downloading ebooks

from time to time.  If this 'issue' is important in your household, then if

the digital rights permit copying, you could copy the ebook from your

computer to hers, use ADE to load it into her library, and she can take it

from there.  Just copy the file from your Digital Editions library to hers

(via whatever method works for you), open ADE, click on the small arrow

that appears in ADE Library mode next to the word 'Library', and choose

'Add Item To Library' from the drop-down menu.  A normal system screen will

appear that will let you locate the ebook, and you can choose it from

there.  It should appear in the ADE library immediately.

Hope this helps!

=============