3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2011 8:06 AM by drkstr_1

Skinning Tool

Abhishek Chaudhary

What is better as a skinning tool in Flex?

Illustrator or Catalyst?

As far as I know Illustrator gives SWFs as o/p formats and Catalyst can give SWFs/Skinning Code for basic components..

• 1. Re: Skinning Tool
          drkstr_1 Level 4

I use both in tandem.

AI is for editing and creating artwork, FC is geared more towards taking that artwork and organizing it into a format useful to your app (a skin).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Skinning Tool
            Abhishek Chaudhary Level 1

Yes Correct, my main problem is  skinning MX components with AI or FC

Consider a case where I have AI Artwork, now I can import my artwork and convert it to skin code.

This skin code can be applied to spark compoents ONLY.

Can I create graphical skins using AI (like SWF Assets and Symbols) so that it can be applied to MX components?

Or

Can I create graphical skins (like SWF Assets and Symbols) from AI artwork imported into FC so that it can be applied to MX components?

Or

Can we generate programmatic skins for MX components like that of Spark components in FC?

• 3. Re: Skinning Tool
              drkstr_1 Level 4

Well I don't know if FC would be very useful for Flex 3 (does it even support FXG? not sure if they back ported it when it was added to 4.x).

I actually don't use FC to generate skin code however. I just use it to import my graphics so I can easily "mock up" the skin and organize the graphic assets (EG: this component requires a graphic for up,down, and over states, and these are the symbols that contain those graphics). In this regards it may still be useful, but it's certainly not the end-all.

You may want to give this a read: http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/skinning_extensions_flex3.pdf

It has some useful info on using AI to create skins for Flex 3.

1 person found this helpful