3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2011 9:17 AM by osgood_

Redirect confusion

steelycal09 Level 1

If I want sitea.com to redirect to siteb.com does there have to be an actual site at sitea.com? Like just an index page with the redirect on it. Or is ownership of the domain alll that's required?

• 1. Re: Redirect confusion
          osgood_ Level 8

steelycal09 wrote:

If I want sitea.com to redirect to siteb.com does there have to be an actual site at sitea.com? Like just an index page with the redirect on it. Or is ownership of the domain alll that's required?

I keep an index page on sitea.com with a redirect in it.

If you have use of php all I do is stick the below at the top of the  index page.

<?php

Header( "HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently" );

Header( "Location: http://www.bbc.co.uk" );

?>

Obviously change the url above to that of the site you want to be redirect to.

Should mention it can be done by altering your DNS records in your control panel. No idea how to do that...gets a bit too technical for me.

• 2. Re: Redirect confusion
            steelycal09 Level 1

Thanks, osgood. That's what I have now, but sitea hosting is coming up for renewal on GD, so if I don't renew it then the redirect will disappear, huh? I was wondering if you could make a redirect from a domain name rather than from the site.

• 3. Re: Redirect confusion
              osgood_ Level 8

steelycal09 wrote:

Thanks, osgood. That's what I have now, but sitea hosting is coming up for renewal on GD, so if I don't renew it then the redirect will disappear, huh?

Yes, unfortunately  redirecting would disappear.

I was wondering if you could make a redirect from a domain name rather than from the site.

Nope I don't think so. The domain as far as I can see has to be 'active' for there to be a redirect attached to it.