3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2011 4:38 AM by Rick Gerard

Transform animation problem.

JoshCanario

As you can see in the video (gif), I am trying to duplicate a ribbon and text and move it slightly right, but for some reason, I can't get it to move the animation too!

I am just beginning to use AE,

Thanks!

Image may take a little while to load

http://localhostr.com/file/n2hg6x3/lunapic_132502574910759_1.gif

• 1. Re: Transform animation problem.
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

That's because you didn't DUPLICATE  the layer and move it.  You animated the layer's position.

Huh?

Well, you're new to AE, and you'll find that AE doesn't work like other applications.  You need a little AE schoolin' before you jump into the deep end of the pool.  Sorry.  That's just how it is.  Trying to learn AE intuitively is a very, very bad idea.

So where do I go to get that schoolin'?   This is an excellent place.

• 2. Re: Transform animation problem.
            JoshCanario Level 1

Helllo Dave,

thanks for your reply, I will have a look at all of those videos you linked me, I am also reading an extensive ebook

I have a quesiton though, you said I didnt duplicate the layer, if you look at the gif, you will see Ribbon and Play, and another Ribbon and Play, the one that isn't locked is one I duplicated before the recording, I selected and Ctrl + D, thus the 4 same layers.

• 3. Re: Transform animation problem.
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It took about 10 minutes of looking at your animated gif to finally see what's going on. I also was not understanding what was going wrong because it looks like you've moved the animation.

Here's what I think you wanted to do. I think that you wanted to move both the text and the ribbon graphic to the right. You selected the text, but when you moved your mouse over and clicked you were not accurate enough to grab both the text and the ribbon. Instead only the ribbon moved.

Since the ribbon and the text are supposed to be tied to one another I'd set the text as the parent of the ribbon and then lock the ribbon layer. Now when you move the text, the ribbon follows.

The other thing that I think you wanted to do was to keep the movement lined up. Instead you created a new keyframe in the middle of the animation and ended up with a curved path. To move all keyframes you must reveal all keyframes in the timeline, select them all, then grab the path in the comp window and move the entire path. I hope that makes sense.