5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2012 6:37 AM by noswad300

Problems with Cross Dissolve and Additive Dissolve Transitions

noswad300

Running Premeir Elements 9 on an iMac Intel i5 processors and OS X 10.7.2.  Very new user so may be doing something dumb??

Tried the "Cross Dislove" and "Additive Dissolve" transitions and right in the middle of the transition the video flashes to bright red????

I have used the "Dip to Black" transition with no problem.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

• 1. Re: Problems with Cross Dissolve and Additive Dissolve Transitions
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Additive Dissolve adds a flash in the middle of the dissolve. That's why it's called Additive Dissolve!

Likewise, Dip to Black fades to black before dissolving into your next clip.

Cross Dissolve should not. It should simply dissolve from one clip to the next. But it depends on what's going on beyond the end points in the clips you're adjoining.

BTW, have you checked out my free 8 part Basic Training tutorials at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com? They're a great way to get up to speed on the basics of the program.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685

• 2. Re: Problems with Cross Dissolve and Additive Dissolve Transitions
            noswad300 Level 1

Thanks Steve,

I have been playing with the Cross Dissolve using the same video cuts.  Sometimes when I make it it flashes red and other times it doesnt?  I can't figure out any reason for it.  As far as I can tell I'm doing it the same each time.  Just with different timing.  Seems like a software glitch.

I will check out your tutorials, and thanks for the help.

Gene

• 3. Re: Problems with Cross Dissolve and Additive Dissolve Transitions
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Gene,

Welcome to the forum.

When one gets anything unintended, with a Cross-Dissolve, it is almost always because there are not adequest Handles in the Trimmed Clip. This ARTICLE goes into much more detail on Handles, and how they affect most Transitions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Problems with Cross Dissolve and Additive Dissolve Transitions
                Ted Smith Level 3

An additive dissolve works by progresively replacing parts of the outgoing picture with the lighter parts of the incoming picture as it is gradually increased in video level.It gives a sort of chroma key effect where the incoming picture is the keyer irrespective of the color. It is effective when slowly dissolving a face on a darker background into a previous well lit background scene as it seems to appear before the less bright parts of the incoming picture.

A cross dissolve merely reduces the whole level of the outgoing picture equally as the incoming picture is introduced, the total video level of the added pictures being constant throughout the dissolve period.

Red flash. I used to get that sometimes on my old PC with a motherboard video output but only when previewing.

Render and Step through your dissolve in the timeline, frame by frame, to see if there actually is a red frame and not something that only shows when you are previewing the dissolve at normal speed.

If the frames are OK then it's something wrong in your previewing.

It might be an issue with your computer video output adapter or it's driver.

Have you the latest quickime installed?

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Problems with Cross Dissolve and Additive Dissolve Transitions
                  noswad300 Level 1

Ted,

Thanks very much for the suggestions and info.

It seems to be working now.  May have been a preview problem.  I think I'm pushing the capabilities of my little iMac but as I learn more and more it's doing a pretty good job.

Thanks again,

Gene