9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2011 12:09 AM by Tai Lao

where are my 'trashed' files?

Surfergirl_SD Level 1

I'm working in ACR 5.1, and CS4....when opening my raw files in ACR I used to be able to click the trash can icon at the top to 'delete' a file - but could still recover it from my recycle bin...but a couple of days ago, I noticed that the files are not in my trash bin, in fact, a search on my hard drive came up with nothing.  Where could the files have gone??

• 1. Re: where are my 'trashed' files?
          Level 4

Not clear whether you are on a Macintosh ("Trash") or Windows ("Recycle Bin").

Further details would be helpful, such as exact version of Photoshop, ACR and the OS.

Please read this FAQ for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers: 

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

Thanks!

• 2. Re: where are my 'trashed' files?
            Level 4

If you are on CS4, you should be using ACR 5.7 (not 5.1) and Photoshop 11.0.2.

• 3. Re: where are my 'trashed' files?
              Surfergirl_SD Level 1

ok I can upgrade to 5.7 correct?  That still doesn't help me find the files that I 'trashed'   I'm sort of having heart failure because I need them for a client

I'm on a PC - Windows XP

• 4. Re: where are my 'trashed' files?
                Level 4

Surfergirl_SD wrote:

ok I can upgrade to 5.7 correct?…

It's a simple, free update not an "upgrade", and yes, you MUST update to ACR 5.7 and Photoshop 11.0.2.

Can't help you with finding your lost files in a Windows box.  I don't do Windows.  Sorry.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了      

• 5. Re: where are my 'trashed' files?
                  Yammer Level 4

Any files deleted from Bridge or Camera Raw are sent to the Recycle Bin, where they can be retrieved.

If you have emptied the bin then it's extremely difficult to retrieve them - though you may have a chance if you know a hacker and you haven't overwritten the old file space in the meantime. Likewise, you may be able to retrieve the files from your camera's memory cards.

Alternatively, you may not have "trashed" your images at all. You may have "rejected" them, in which case you can "show reject files" in Bridge, by selecting the option from the View menu.

• 6. Re: where are my 'trashed' files?
                    Level 4

Yammer P's post brings me to the realization that you may be talking about "trashing" the files through Bridge, not ACR*.  On the Mac side, when Bridge sends a file to the trash can, the trash can doesn't show any signs of actually having received the files, but they're there.  You can see them only after double-clicking on the trash can to open it, without the trash can icon showing any balled up or crushed papers externally.

* At least in CS4, there is no trash can icon anywhere in ACR.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 7. Re: where are my 'trashed' files?
                      Surfergirl_SD Level 1

I 'trashed' the files (with the little trash can icon) in ACR (not bridge) but they are not showing in the recycle bin (??) - even after opening the trash bin, and doing a search on my hard drive...

when clicking on the 'trash bin' icon on the top menu in ACR a red box appears in the top left of the photo and says 'image will be moved to trash'

is this making any sense?  I really appreciate the help!

• 8. Re: where are my 'trashed' files?
                        Surfergirl_SD Level 1

ok so weird development....I tried opening the folder of original files (on my card that weren't showing in ACR) in Bridge and everything is showing up - PHEW!  But, that begs the question, why am I not seeing them in ACR?  Doing the update right now...hopefully that will fix things!

• 9. Re: where are my 'trashed' files?
                          Level 4

Surfergirl_SD wrote:

…tried opening the folder of original files (on my card…) in Bridge and everything is showing up…

Yikes!  

It is very, very unwise to point the software at the card, except once to download the image files to your hard drive.  Never browse or open the images while they are still on the card.

You run the risk of the software writing to the card, destroying the formatting and losing everything.

Just download the images from the card to your local hard drive in one fell swoop using a card reader, then immediately make copies and work on the copies only.  Never touch the originals.  Make as many copies as may be necessary.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了