22 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2011 6:21 AM by cantorsimon

Reduced quality of .vob and avi files

cantorsimon

Hi Guys

I need some help please.

I am working on a trail version of adobe elements 10 on a new macbook pro lion.

No problem installing application.

When I import video either in vob from dvd or avi format, the quality of the video is reduced tremendously, there are no white black lines, no jumping, just low quality.

On the bottom right hand side, the application tells me that it is doing something called conforming.

When I play the same video in vlc on the mac, or on my pc, the video runs fine with no problems and the picture is crystal clear.

I tried the things suggested in support:

1. Rendering

2. Checked the fps are the same as the original video ie 25 fps

3. Tried using application to convert vob file to mp4 of all different levels of quality using external program (wondershare video converter ultimate for mac)

Elements looks like a great program, the closest to the magix I used to run on my pc, but the problem at the moment is that the quality is reduced.

Is there a codec problem?

The vob and avi files are not recognized by quicktime.

Please let me know asap

Thanks

Simon

• 1. Re: Reduced quality of .vob and avi files
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Much has to do with which project settings you've selected in Premiere Elements when you set up your project. (For DVD video, you should be using the Hard Disk Camcorder/standard definition settings for your project.) You also should not mix DVD and AVI footage in a project. They interlace very differently and this can cause problems in your output.

Much also depends on where your AVIs are coming from. Unless your AVIs are from a miniDV camcorder, captured over a FireWire connection, you are likely working with a codec that is not fully compatible with the program. Where did these AVIs come from?

Conforming is an important part of the process of the program rendering non-workflow formats (such as DVD VOB files) into editable workflow formats. Allow the program the fully conform your DVD video and use the proper project presets and you should get results that are virtually identical to the original footage.

Parts 1 and 2 of my free 8 part Basic Training tutorials at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com will help  you understand how and why project set-up and proper footage formats are so important.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Reduced quality of .vob and avi files
            cantorsimon Level 1

thank you for your quick reply.

1. I already had the project setup as you suggested.

2. I only tried using the avi files after I saw that I had a problem with vob files, just to see whether the problem was only with vob.

3. the vob files are coming from a dvd and play just fine on vlc on mac and on the dvd player on mac and on pc in high quality, it is only when they are imported that they are recuded in quality.

Could this be an encoding issue within premiere? If yes, how or where do I get the encoding from? and why when it plays in vlc, is it such good quality?

I tried saving the video in high quality from premiere, and it successfuly saved, however quicktime couldnt play it and tells me a required code isnt available. So it plays in premiere in low quality, it doesnt play at all ni quicktime, and plays fine in vlc.

thanks

Simon

• 3. Re: Reduced quality of .vob and avi files

What are you outputting your video as when you judge its quality?

If you output a DV-MOV from a properly set up project (Share/Computer/MOV with the DV preset) and compare it side-by-side with your original footage, it should look identical.

If not, could you be more specific about "quality"? Is there less resolution? weaker color production?

I can't comment on your AVIs since I don't know what kind of camcorder these files came from or how they were captured.

• 4. Re: Reduced quality of .vob and avi files
                cantorsimon Level 1

hi

before I even output it, the video plays within premiere in low quality

when i say low quality, the best comparison would be to say that it is the difference between watching a video on youtube in hd format to 240 format.

Lets just focus on the vob files at the moment. BTW the vob files do not open at all on imovie where as the avi files play fine in high quality on imovie.

I dont know whether this helps you to help me....

I really appreciate your help, I had a look at your site and registered, the vids are great

thanks

simon

• 5. Re: Reduced quality of .vob and avi files

Have you rendered your timeline? (Press Enter if there are red lines above the clips on your timeline. When the red lines turns green, you'll see a cleaner preview, more like your final output will look.)

• 6. Re: Reduced quality of .vob and avi files
                    cantorsimon Level 1

Hi Steve

I have rendered and indeed the red line turns to green, but alas, not luck.

Still blurred.

I mentioned in my first post that I am using the trial version.

do you think this will make things blurred?

Simon

• 7. Re: Reduced quality of .vob and avi files

And how does it look when you output it as an MOV at DV quality, as I suggested above?

How does the output compare, side by side, with the original footage?

• 8. Re: Reduced quality of .vob and avi files
                        cantorsimon Level 1

Hi Steve

Well I think I may have two clues to solve this problem.

1. When I dragged a new vob file 950mb into the project area and then into the timeline the application told me that the "something rate" not sure if it was frame rate, but it told me that the project settings were different from the video and do I want to change the project settings to suit the video. When i clicked yes, the video then played in the program crystal clear, but only until I imported another video, and then everything played blurred again.

2. When I hold the scroll blue arrow and drag through the video, the video is crystal clear, when I click play the first second is clear and the it goes all blurred again.

this is driving me nuts and I have to prepare this video.

any more suggestions what it might be?

Simon

• 9. Re: Reduced quality of .vob and avi files

If you set up the project as I suggested above and don't let the program change those settings, and then you render and output your video, your original should be virtually identical to your output. I'm not sure how else to say it, Simon.

• 10. Re: Reduced quality of .vob and avi files
                            cantorsimon Level 1

Dear Steve

i did exactly as you said.

Please find attached printscreen of the video playing as you can see the video is still blurred.

I will try and upload printscreens of entire process

Thanks

Simon Screen Shot 2011-12-28 at 9.00.39 PM.png

• 11. Re: Reduced quality of .vob and avi files

Because you are using the trial version of the program, rendering has been disabled. This is why  you see the watermark across the screen.

Sorry. Should have noted this earlier. Since you didn't mention the watermark, I assumed this was not the case.

On the fully registered version of the program, your performance would be entirely different. It would be as I described.

Hope that helps.

• 12. Re: Reduced quality of .vob and avi files
                                cantorsimon Level 1

the blurr area is not just where the watermark is, its over the entire screen of the vid, also I think the rendering did work as I saw that the red line turned green.

i dont want to spend $80 only to find that it doesnt work.

I have prepared 7 printscreens of the setup process, can I email them to you?

thanks

SimonScreen Shot 2011-12-28 at 9.00.10 PM.png

• 13. Re: Reduced quality of .vob and avi files

There's no point in sending me the screen caps. If you're using the trial, you won't see the results.

Adobe unofficially offers a money back guarantee within a couple of weeks if you buy the program from them and are completely dissatisfied. But I can pretty much guarantee that if you follow my instructions you will get the results I described.

It's your call though. Depends on how much you're willing to trust me.

• 14. Re: Reduced quality of .vob and avi files
                                    cantorsimon Level 1

ok, here goes.....

• 15. Re: Reduced quality of .vob and avi files
                                      nealeh Level 5

As you are working in standard definition you should burn your project to a DVD and view it on a 'real' DVD Player and TV. With modern hi-res screens your window may actually be displaying more pixels than standard definition. Then your video card has to expand the image to fit that window. In these cases where pixels are being added blurring is inevitable when viewing on your monitor.

Cheers,
                                      --
                                      Neale
                                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 16. Re: Reduced quality of .vob and avi files
                                        cantorsimon Level 1

Hi Steve

Well, I paid for the license, and the bloody program still plays blurred even if I have rendered!!

This is so frustrating.

Any ideas??

Simon

• 17. Re: Reduced quality of .vob and avi files
                                          Ted Smith Level 3

The preview window is not intended to be used as a judge of picture quality. The resolution is normally reduced somewhat because the computer is doing a whole lot more than just viewing when you preview an effect.

There is a normal or higher qiality setting for the preview (I think right clciking on the pic or one of the settings) Try the higher quality

The faster the computer, video card and more memory, the better will be the preview even when not rendered.

Also try previewing full screen.

The important thing is the quality of the final product. Is this poor too in your case?

• 18. Re: Reduced quality of .vob and avi files
                                            nealeh Level 5

Did you follow the FAQ entry "How can I remove the watermark from projects created with the trial version of the program?" for removing the watermark?

Also, as I mentioned earlier, when working with Standard Definition for a DVD project PRE previews are not representative of final quality.

Cheers,
                                            --
                                            Neale
                                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 19. Re: Reduced quality of .vob and avi files

And what are the results of your side by side comparison of the DVD you output from this project with your original DVD video?

How does this new DVD look when you play it on your TV?

• 20. Re: Reduced quality of .vob and avi files
                                                cantorsimon Level 1

Mazel tov !!!

Finally found it!

So simple.

nothing to do with rendering.

Steve you deserve a big hug for all your hard work in trying to help me, and I feel like I owe you big time, however the solution was so simple and provided by Ted Smith, on the playback screen one right clicks and changes the playback quality to highest, and the quality is 100% crystal clear.

Thank you all for your help.

btw who knows how to export an mp3 from a video?

Thanks

simon

1 person found this helpful
                                                • 21. Re: Reduced quality of .vob and avi files

>who knows how to export an mp3 from a video?

Simon, now you've asked that same question in THREE threads! Please don't do that.

Share/Computer/Audio

• 22. Re: Reduced quality of .vob and avi files
                                                    cantorsimon Level 1

sorry, I was more interested in saying thank you and didnt notice I had it on the end of the letter.

thanks for all your help

btw, now you see the answer, did you know that one could right click??