5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2011 9:52 AM by Dave LaRonde

Bad video quality

Shiva Gurung Level 1

Hi,

I was trying to render a very short video with some animation effects but the output video quality is too bad to be accepted.

Square and rectangle broken shapes could be seen on the attached clip.

Could anybody please advise a workaround to get rid of this. I use CS4.

Bad Video.jpg

Thanks,

Shiva

• 1. Re: Bad video quality
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Read the help files on rendering and encoding. Make sure you understand the Render Cue, Output Module and Render settings. Render to a high quality codec (like PhotoJPG or Animation) with high quality settings and then render for the web using another app.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Bad video quality
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is the format and codec of the footage you're using? My guess is that it's MPEG or some variant of it.

AE CS4 and earlier versions had issues with long GOP footage like h.264. If that's your problem, transcode it to a lossless file and use that in AE instead. 

If that's not your issue, Rick's answer should help.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Bad video quality
              Jax24135 Level 3

If changing the rendering options doesn't help, make sure your composition viewer window option is set to 'Full'.

A few months back, I set mine to '1/4 quality' for faster playback, but my exports looked awful 'til I changed it back to 'Full' - regardless of my rendering options.

• 4. Re: Bad video quality
                Shiva Gurung Level 1

Thanx all ...

It required conversion of the source vid. I had m2v which seemed not friendly with AE.

And of course the FULL option made some difference.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Bad video quality
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

Shiva Gurung wrote:

I had m2v which seemed not friendly with AE.

That's correct: NO kind of video containing long-gop compression is friendly to AE 9.  It should all be converted to a lossless codec for use in AE.