6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2011 3:38 PM by Frustrated in AZ

Digital Editions and Kobo Vox

dfkettle

Does anyone know if there's a way to transfer purchased ebooks licensed through Digital Editions to the Kobo Vox? It's not on the list of supported ereaders, although other Kobo ereaders are on the list. Is there a work-around, or will it be supported eventually?

I just installed and activated Digital Editions on my desktop computer (under Windows 7) and I'm able to read an ebook on the desktop. But when I plugged in the Vox with a USB cable and started up DE, it didn't seem to recognize it. I didn't get any error message or ask me if I wanted to activate the Vox, it just started up normally. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to turn on USB storage on the Vox or not, so I tried it both ways, but it didn't make any difference.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Digital Editions and Kobo Vox
          dfkettle Level 1

Found another thread on the same topic. Sorry for the duplication, but when I searched for "Vox", nothing came up. It wasn't until after I posted my question that I found another thread listed under "More Like This".

By the way, I tried online chat with an Adobe support person, who after about 20 minutes suggested I buy another ereader. Not a very helpful response, IMO. I said I liked the Vox, and wouldn't be using Digital Editions. Not al publishers force you to go through Adobe for licensing ebooks, although it would be nice if Adobe supported the Vox. Maybe some day.

• 2. Re: Digital Editions and Kobo Vox
            Frustrated in AZ Level 4

To your last point: new ereaders and devices that claim that you can load

and read ebooks come on the market all the time.  ADE is sort of an orphan

product at Adobe, and I think that they could devote more resources to it

to make it support more current devices.  That said, Digital Editions has

been adopted as a 'de facto standard' by the publishing industry for

independent ereader support, which puts more pressure on Adobe to support

more new devices.  Amazon, B&N and SONY have decided to do it differently,

so they deal with a much more limited set of devices.

========

• 3. Re: Digital Editions and Kobo Vox
              dfkettle Level 1

Some publishers allow you to choose from two or three different formats. For example O'Reilly (http://www.oreilly.com) allows you to download in PDF, ePub or Mobi formats (or all three, if you want), and you don't need Adobe's permission to read the material you purchase. Once you've paid for the content, it's yours. That's the way it should be. Hopefully, more publishers will come around to that way of doing business.

• 4. Re: Digital Editions and Kobo Vox
                Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Your closing comments need some clarification, because today's digital

publishing world is quite different from that of hardcover paper books.

This isn't a lecture, nor am I disagreeing with you, but the world has

changed a lot.

The publishing community got together in the 1980's and tried to establish

an approach to the digital world that did not fall apart as did the music

industry, with Napster and others offering webspace for the redistribution

of copyrighted materials.  They came up with the specifications encoded in

the Digital Millenium Copyright Act of 2000 (DMCA), and the software

industry went to work on implementing those specifications.  Several

software manufacturers have products that implement the digital rights that

adhere to the DMCA, including Adobe, Bluefire and Overdrive.  The results

are that the industry seems to feel that the copyright laws have been

implemented well - there's no clarion call for the basics of digital rights

to be overhauled.

What we have is a system where publishers, resellers and distributors

(including libraries) have the ability to restrict how many digital copies

of epublications you can make, whether you can print portions or all of it

and whether you can share them among several people.  That system is much

more restrictive than paper publishing, but it deals with many issues that

paper doesn't have, such as the ability to make humongous numbers of copies

of digital works - and make a profit from selling them without paying

royalties or copyright fees.  Sorry - there ARE crooks out there that do

just that.

Some large distributors have decided to go farther, and implement the

standards of DMCA in even more restrictive fashion.  Amazon has bound its

ereaders to its site, while Barnes and Noble has created a slightly less

tight linkage with its Kindles.  SONY has a loose version tied to its

Readers.  Other distributors, such as WH Smith, Borders and libraries, use

the 'standard' formats for the materials, but set the digital rights

according to their interpretation of how the end use is allowed to use the

material.  If you go to mass media, such as newspapers, you get similar

strata of tightly-bound to 'standard'.  The New York Times doesn't want you

printing a version of their newspaper, for example, so they set digital

rights so that you can't do that.

All of this may not be to your liking, but welcome to the digital world of

epublications.  Until we change as people from the mindsets that allow

violations of somebody's rights to be common - and go unchallenged, we're

going to get such structures.

(soapbox mode off)

===========

• 5. Re: Digital Editions and Kobo Vox
                  dfkettle Level 1

How does restricting the types of devices (not the number of devices) you can copy an eBook to, help to protect anyone's rights? I don't think this is about DRM, it's about the conflicting interests of two parties, Adobe and Google (the creator of the Android OS). I don't think it's a technical issue either. The Kobo Vox is perfectly capable of displaying PDF documents. Is it just a coincidence that the non-Android Kobo models are supported, and the Kobo Vox isn't? Does Kobo have to pay Adobe some sort of fee in return for their support of the new model? I'm not trying to cheat anyone out of their copyright fees, I just want to be able to view an eBook I legitimately purchased on the device of my own choosing. Is that too much to ask?

• 6. Re: Digital Editions and Kobo Vox
                    Frustrated in AZ Level 4

I think you're off on a tangent here.  You have intermixed two subjects -

digital rights management (which seemed to be the topic you closed your

last message with) and technological interfaces.

Adobe Digital Editions is designed to interface with two types of operating

systems - Windows and MAC.  Android devices work very differently, and they

require additional interface software for ADE to interoperate with them.

The transfer of epublications from ADE to an Android device requires that

the two interoperate.  Adobe has not yet indicated that they have this

interface software in place.

I have no idea whether there is some sort of fee paid to Adobe by device

manufacturers.  Maybe someone else who works/worked for Adobe could address

that question.  Personally, I doubt it, from my 35 years of experience in

the software arena.

=============