14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2012 8:43 AM by Ed_Elliott

Audio LKFS plugin for BS.1770 loudness monitoring

CLVPRO Level 1

Does anyone have any reccomendations on how to monitor and measure the audio singal in LKFS in Premiere Pro CS5? Perhaps there is a plugin such as a BS.1770 meter that will work inside Premiere Pro?

• 1. Re: Audio LKFS plugin for BS.1770 loudness monitoring
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm not aware of any such plug-in, but you can scrounge around and check yourself.

https://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/extend.displayTab4.html

• 3. Re: Audio LKFS plugin for BS.1770 loudness monitoring
            neil wilkes Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes.

Pop across to http://products.zplane.de/index.php?page=ppmulatorxl and grab the trial version to be sure it works.

Remember that it must be installed *not* to the usual VSTplugin location, but the one inside the Premiere folder.

This is a truly great tool, and I find it invaluable.

• 4. Re: Audio LKFS plugin for BS.1770 loudness monitoring
              shooternz Level 6

Thanx for that Neil.

It is something I have urgent need of as well.

We have new "gatekeepers" to our broadcast system and their rules have become very strict about video and audio levels.

• 5. Re: Audio LKFS plugin for BS.1770 loudness monitoring
                CLVPRO Level 1

Thanks for the link Neil. However I did some preliminary tests with the PPMulater, and it appears that it only monitors peak levels. Broadcasts and the FCC monitor perceived loudness of dialog or anchor element using the ITU-R BS.1770 recommendation.  As far as I can tell, this plug-in would not measure audio that way the stations and the FCC will be monitoring, and instead shows the peak loudness. The reading I got from the plug-in were much higher than the what the reading should have been.

Neil what settings are you using to get this plugin to work for monitoring levels in occordiance with the CALM act?

Here is a link to some info on the FCC loudness mitigation act, for those of you interested: http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-11-84A1.pdf

• 6. Re: Audio LKFS plugin for BS.1770 loudness monitoring

Ah - I think I know what the problem is here (and I only know because I made the same mistake on first using this meter)

Also, have you set up the reference levels correctly? The plugin has several built-in presets with the correct channel weighting, and is also capable of generating test tones if required.

Check out pages 17-19 in the manual for details.

I wager your meter screen is looking like this screenshot:

LU scale.PNG - notice the scale underneath the lower right of the first value in the meter.

What you should be seeing is this one instead:

LUFS scale.PNG

To switch scales, simply mouse over the "LU" legend, and click on it - this switches to the LUFS scale instead (it will highlight in a light grey colour when you mouse over it).

PPMulator 3 XL is very clever, as it also allows for True Peak values, as well as full logging.

Hope this helps - if not, please post back a screenshot of what you are seeing.

Another possible scale you are looking at might be this one:

Alt LU scale.PNGHere you will see just a bar graph LED style readout, and again we can switch to LUFS by mousing over the LU legend under the main number readout. We can also switch to the triple combined meter style by clicking on the little dot to the right of the + symbol (this invokes setup options) underneath the large numerical readout - then you will get the display in the first set of screenshots.

Hope this helps.

EDIT - apologies for not sahowing this in Premiere Pro, but as the main DAW is a 32-bit OS, I am only at CS4 on this system - the main video rig has the CS5.5 build, but that rig is not powered up yet & we always Post in Nuendo anyway......

• 7. Re: Audio LKFS plugin for BS.1770 loudness monitoring
                    CLVPRO Level 1

Yep that worked Neil...clicking on "LU" to change it. I was using the standalone demo application.

I couldn't get the plug-in to work in Premiere Pro. I'm physically patching it from Premiere Pro to the PPM Demo program. I don't have Neundeo and was hoping to find a plugin that works with Premiere Pro. This way it's more convenient, saves time and overall cost, and makes sure that levels and other specs don't get mixed up between programs.

Do you have this plug-in working in any versions of Premiere Pro?

I installed it in the Premiere Pro VST Plug-in folder.

• 8. Re: Audio LKFS plugin for BS.1770 loudness monitoring

I will check it in CS5 & CS5.5 this afternoon when I get back - just going out in 15 minutes time.

I remember having difficulty getting PPMulator recognoized in an earlier version, and will get back to you later today on this one.

What OS are you running?

If I have trouble here, I can write to the developers as they are great people, very fast to help & extremely quick if there is a bug to fix (new builds often within days of reporting the problem)

I agree with you that it needs to work in Premiere though, that really goes without saying!

• 9. Re: Audio LKFS plugin for BS.1770 loudness monitoring
                        CLVPRO Level 1

I am running Windows 7 at 64 bit.

• 10. Re: Audio LKFS plugin for BS.1770 loudness monitoring

This is a mess, isn't it! (Premiere Pro's "handling" of VST Plugins, I mean).

I can get PPMulator 3 to show up in the list of "Audio Effects" in the EFFECTS Bin, but not as an actual plugin.

I also had to set the permissions properly as well - simply copying it into the Premiere folder does not work.

Additionally, from the Audio Effects bin, I get a message telling me it is available in 5.1 master outputs only, which is a nonsense.

I am having trouble getting ANY 3rd party VST Effects to run in Premiere, so am thinking this is a premiere problem.

DMG's EQuality is not showing either, nor a few others.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 11. Re: Audio LKFS plugin for BS.1770 loudness monitoring
                            CLVPRO Level 1

Well maybe the upcoming CS6 release will have included meters for loudness using those new FCC standards, instead of the simple old school peak meters (yeah right).

For the mean time I'll have to patch the audio into another program and cross my fingers that nothing gets changed in the process. I've actually been doing this for years just to see dB accurate levels with dynamic peaks.

Was hoping someone developed a product to keep up with the stations and FCC practices for use within Premiere, but it appears not yet for the CS5 releases.

Thanks for doing some tests and your input Neil.

• 12. Re: Audio LKFS plugin for BS.1770 loudness monitoring
                              shooternz Level 6

Was hoping someone developed a product to keep up with the stations and FCC practices for use within Premiere, but it appears not yet for the CS5 releases.

The post facility where I master my broadcast media uses some software that checks Video and Audio levels.  It creates a log (report) on screen.

It does not appear to be a plug in.  It is somewhere else in the pipeline and can be observed real time..

It kind off looks like an enhanced version of this

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/ultrascope/

I will ask them what it is and report back in case it is of interest or value.

• 13. Re: Audio LKFS plugin for BS.1770 loudness monitoring

@CLVPRO - I am beginning to think that the PPMulator plugin is a 32-bit one only, and since there is no BitBridge in Premiere it is not going to work.

I hear you on CS6 though - fingers crossed!

Another one that might be of interest is this one from TC Electronics http://www.tcelectronic.com/lm6.asp

I will be dropping them a line today for more information - looks promising

There is also http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-ebuloudness/ but I have no experioence with it

EDIT.

PPMulator 3 is definitely a 64-bit plugin, but uyou are correct - it simply does not work in Premiere Pro at all.

I am trying to find out why with the guys at Zplane, as we need this working too.....

• 14. Re: Audio LKFS plugin for BS.1770 loudness monitoring
                                  Ed_Elliott

Audition CS6 offers another alternative: Audition CS6 > Window > Match Volume will compute Loudness in LUFS (LUFS=LKFS as of BS.1770-2) and True Peak per BS.1770-2.