9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2011 5:49 PM by A.T. Romano

VIDEOS DON'T OPEN IN PRE10 ORGANIZER

EPHRAIM GITELMAN Level 1

I am using Classroom in a book. I get media from lesson 4 -mp4 files into the organizer. The selections come in but there is no video. In the classroom in the book page it shows videos displayed in the organizer. I can view the videos in the Premiere Elements 10 projects/media area. I am using Windows 7 professional 64 bit. What is the problem?

• 1. Re: VIDEOS DON'T OPEN IN PRE10 ORGANIZER
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It MAY be that you do not have the correct codec installed

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below

For PC http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ or http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

For Mac http://mediainfo.massanti.com/

• 2. Re: VIDEOS DON'T OPEN IN PRE10 ORGANIZER
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Ephraim Gitelman

I suspect the problem is a mix of video compression and wrapper format and Organizer undocumented compatibility. It would be good to know what the video compression is for those .mp4 sample files that came with the book as well as their other properties of frame size and frame rate.

I did a little first hand look at this with an AVCHD.mp4 (1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 file) that I created in Premiere Elements 10. Interesting results:

a. AVCHD.mp4. In Organizer, black thumbnail, but I could get video and audio playback in the Organizer by double clicking that thumbnail there.The file in Premiere Elements 10 workspace had good video and audio.

b. If I took that file and changed the file extension from .mp4 to .mov, the thumbnail in the Organizer was a gray design, but I could get video and audio playback in the Organizer by double clicking that thumbnail there. The file in Premiere Elements 10 workspace had good video and audio.

c. If I took that file and changed the file extension from .mp4 to .avi, the Organizer thumbnail for the AVCHD.avi was perfect, and I could get video and audio playback in the Organizer by double clicking that thumbnail there. HOWEVER, in the Premiere Elements 10 workspace the AVCHD.avi video was green, solid green, but the audio was perfect.

Still a work in progress to determine what workaround if any.

ATR

• 3. Re: VIDEOS DON'T OPEN IN PRE10 ORGANIZER
              nealeh Level 5

I had a problem with some video clips (only getting sound) and the working solution I received from Adobe was to install the GPL ffdshow DirectShow decoder. The reason they gave is that there is no native DirectShow filter in PRE 64-bit.

Install it and see.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: VIDEOS DON'T OPEN IN PRE10 ORGANIZER
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Neale

I would ask this about what you described:

a. What was the video compression and file extension and other properties of your problem videos?

b. Where were you observing the "only getting sound"....in Elements Organizer play back of the video thumbnail there or in the Premiere Elements 10 (64 bit application) workspace?

ATR

• 5. Re: VIDEOS DON'T OPEN IN PRE10 ORGANIZER
                  EPHRAIM GITELMAN Level 1

Here is=the gspot result

mp42: MP4 v2 [ISO 14496-14]

- mp41: MP4 v1 [ISO 14496-1:ch13]

Recommended Display Size: 1280 x 720

Created:           2011 Aug 04   09:15:04

Modified:           2011 Dec 26   16:53:07

• 6. Re: VIDEOS DON'T OPEN IN PRE10 ORGANIZER
                    EPHRAIM GITELMAN Level 1

I tried the download ffdshow DirectShow decoder.   It didn't make any difference.  This problem only exists in the Organizer.

• 7. Re: VIDEOS DON'T OPEN IN PRE10 ORGANIZER
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Ephraim Gitelman

Just curious...what did the gspot readout show for Video Codec Status?

In my mini test I used an AVCHD.mp4 as well as AVCHD.mov and AVCHD.avi (all 1920 x 1080); whereas you are working with an MP42.mp4 (1280 x 720) according to your gspot readout. In your specific case, what happens if you make a copy of one of your MP42.mp4 sample videos, change the file extension of that copy from .mp4 to .avi, and observe Organizer thumbnail/playback and Premiere Elements workspace thumbnail/playback?

Please remind me if your Organizer problem is solely in the thumbnail, that is, can you get playback of the MP42.mp4 in the Organizer by double clicking its thumbnail there?

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: VIDEOS DON'T OPEN IN PRE10 ORGANIZER
                        nealeh Level 5

(This is mostly from memory)

It was from a Hitachi budget camcorder and I was testing its various modes for PRE compatibility. All the clips played well in EO10 and included the thumbnail but only the sound was there in PRE10 (showing the generic sound icon).

The detail I provided to Adobe was:

The files are from the Hitachi DZ-HV575E. This is I think a standard Hitachi camcorder rebranded for a particular retailer.

The main oddity I have found with it is that:

# PRE9 would import the video, but not the accompanying sound.

# PRE10 only recognises it as a sound file and doesn't import the video.

The Elements Organizer 10 successfully imports the clips and plays both video and sound. However even using the 'Edit with Premiere Elements Editor.' Option PRE10 still only recognises the audio - the video track remains blank.

From my remaining test clip the codec details are:

1.png

Installing ffdshow did work and PRE10 then included both Sound & Vision (© David Bowie ). Editing was jerky, but shares were fine.

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 9. Re: VIDEOS DON'T OPEN IN PRE10 ORGANIZER
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Neale

I am still in the process of sorting all this out.

This is what I wrote previously in this thread:

"I did a little first hand look at this with an AVCHD.mp4 (1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 file) that I created in Premiere Elements 10. Interesting results:

a. AVCHD.mp4. In Organizer, black thumbnail, but I could get video and audio playback in the Organizer by double clicking that thumbnail there.The file in Premiere Elements 10 workspace had good video and audio.

b. If I took that file and changed the file extension from .mp4 to .mov, the thumbnail in the Organizer was a gray design, but I could get video and audio playback in the Organizer by double clicking that thumbnail there. The file in Premiere Elements 10 workspace had good video and audio.

c. If I took that file and changed the file extension from .mp4 to .avi, the Organizer thumbnail for the AVCHD.avi was perfect, and I could get video and audio playback in the Organizer by double clicking that thumbnail there. HOWEVER, in the Premiere Elements 10 workspace the AVCHD.avi video was green, solid green, but the audio was perfect."

These are the recent developments:

At this time, I am working trouble free with regard to the Elements Organizer video image in thumbnail issue for:

AVCHD.mp4, AVCHD.mov, AVCHD.avi (all 1920 x 1080 with the base file being AVCHD.mp4 from Share/Computer/AVCHD and renaming that base file for a .mov and .avi file).

and

MPEG4.mp4, MPEG4.mov, MPEG4.avi (all 1280 x 720 with the base file being MPEG4 Movie Video.mov from Share/Computer/QuickTime and renaming that base file for a .mp4 and .avi file).

So, why earlier problems and now no problems? Right now my thinking is trying to work around the automatic Activation feature that is required for many of the Premiere Elements processes. This thought is being encouraged by my observation that the problems resolved after I saw the Activation dialog in the Premiere Elements workspace for the first instance of the AVCHD.mp4 and MPEG4.mp4 files. Maybe, just .mp4 activation, but the subsequent results suggested more.

When problems such as these pop up, it makes me follow the path of importing these files into Premere Elements and letting them get into the Elements Organizer automatically in the Premiere Elements import process rather than go the route of import into the Elements Organizer and then opting to "Edit in Premiere Elements".

But, to add to the mix: because of the MP42 video history with .avi file extension, I recently suggested to Ephraim Gitelman that he try changing the file extension of this problem file from .mp4 to .avi. That seems to have resolved his Organizer video image in thumbnail issue without creating more problems.

ATR