6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2013 11:39 AM by rjs324s

Font Point Size Arrows in Ctrl Panel Not Working

M_G6 Level 1

My first InDesign question!

In the Control Panel's type point/type size field, there are up and down arrows (at left of the size display field), and of course, a drop down point size selector (to the right of the display field). Well, drop down selector on the right works, but the up & down arrows on the left are grayed out and unusable, even when the text box is selected, or when the text is clicked on, or when the text is highlighted. Why?

If it helps to know, all of the other adjusters' up/down arrows in the Control Panel (line spacing, kerning, etc.), are functional. Seems wrong that I cannot adjust the type size with the up/down arrows, as well.

Thanks-

(MacBook Pro, OSX, InDesign CS5)

• 1. Re: Font Point Size Arrows in Ctrl Panel Not Working
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There are a couple of possibilities, and a screen shot would help.

First is that you have type of mixed sizes in your selection. Is there a size shown in the size field? If not, that would be confirmation.

If that's not the answer, is this restricted to one file? If so, try exporting to .idml (see Remove minor corruption by exporting) If it is happening in lots of files, try trashing the prefs (see Replace Your Preferences) or even just restarting the computer.

• 2. Re: Font Point Size Arrows in Ctrl Panel Not Working
            M_G6 Level 1

Thanks Peter. Well this is weird. I left my problem doc open, then opened another previously made doc next to it. The arrow buttons work in this newly opened doc, so I switch back to my first doc and the arrows now work as they should in that doc, as well.

To address your specific questions, there were no mixed fonts, no mixed sizes, and a font size was shown in the display field.

• 3. Re: Font Point Size Arrows in Ctrl Panel Not Working
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Yup, that's pretty weird. At this point, I'd just reboot and move on until it happens again.

• 4. Re: Font Point Size Arrows in Ctrl Panel Not Working
                Richard Groff Level 1

I have this happen occasionally, too, and it doesn't make sense. Usually if I quit and start ID back up the problem is gone. Then again, sometimes it's still there.

• 5. Re: Font Point Size Arrows in Ctrl Panel Not Working
                  APC-Patrick Level 1

I understand the EXACT issue (or "bug", rather) which you are dealing with, and it's one of those little things that will drive you BONKERS if you can't resolve it!

This bug will render the up/down arrows to the left of the Text Size box (at the top of the screen) useless. Oddly enough, the arrows beside the Text Size box in the character palette work just fine. Likewise, a numerical value entered in the Text Size box will effectively change the font size as well.

I call this a "bug" because, to the best of my knowledge, it is not a feature of the program that you can turn on/off (purposely or by mistake) from a menu or by pressing a keyboard shortcut.

Restarting the program doesn't [usually] correct the issue, and trashing your prefs is a pain. However, I do believe I have the solution to this bug. It works for most people, anyway.

Follow these steps:

1. Draw a text box (2" x 2" is plenty big)
                  2. Fill it with some text - just make sure the text doesn't overflow the box....yet.
                  3. Select a portion of the text.
                  4. Enter a number in the Text Size box that is large enough to make the text overflow (500 pt. should do the trick)
                  5. Click outside of the text box to finish editing the text.
                  6. Click the Selection Tool (Keyboard Shortcut "V")
                  7. Re-select the type tool - the arrows should now function properly.

Hope this helps!

God bless,

– Patrick

• 6. Re: Font Point Size Arrows in Ctrl Panel Not Working
                    rjs324s

That worked Patrick! So strange. Thank you!