16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2011 8:01 PM by Keith_Clark

Time Lapse video

geldslaw

I wanted to make a time lapse video and I recorded 19 hours of video but now find I import it into adobe premiere pro but cannot edit it. Is there a way around this as I want to compress the 19 hours down to 10 minutes?

• 1. Re: Time Lapse video
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>import it into adobe premiere pro but cannot edit it

What does that mean... what error message(s) do you see?

• 2. Re: Time Lapse video
            Mortimer IOU Level 2

There is a way to do time lapse using the posterize time effect, althogh to go from 19 hours to 10 minutes will need some editing as well. So first resolve the "cannot edit" issue. As John said, some more information about your problem might help you get some help here.

• 3. Re: Time Lapse video
              geldslaw Level 1

I can import the avi file but cannot drag and drop it on the time line, I get a with a no entry symbol. Also the durartion of the film property says just 3:14 mins etc when I know there's 19 hours of footage there. I wanted to film a Sunrise, Sunset and Sunrise, but the weather became bad so stopped at 19hours.

• 4. Re: Time Lapse video
                geldslaw Level 1

I can import the avi file but cannot drag and drop it on the time line, I get a with a no entry symbol. Also the durartion of the film property says just 3:14 mins etc when I know there's 19 hours of footage there. I wanted to film a Sunrise, Sunset and Sunrise, but the weather became bad so stopped at 19hours.

• 5. Re: Time Lapse video
                  geldslaw Level 1

• 6. Re: Time Lapse video
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I get a with a no entry symbol.

That's most likely operator error.  You're doing something wrong, rather than there's something wrong with the video.

List out the exact steps you take, beginning with starting Premiere Pro.

• 7. Re: Time Lapse video
                      Powered by Design Level 4

It sounds like your trying to drop your footage without a sequence open

Make sure you have a sequence open that matches your footage.

Drag your video to the New Item button and Premiere with create a new sequence matching your footage.

GLenn

New-Item.jpg

• 8. Re: Time Lapse video
                        geldslaw Level 1

Premiere Pro is too simple to make a mistake in. well you can if do not know what you are doing. But obviously I would think that I do. not so long ago I found out that the biggest file that you can edit on premiere pro on windows is 3.? gigs which relates to how much memory windows can address.

I was wondering if there was a simimlar issue here with my macbook pro or was it a design issue with premiere?

1 I open premiere pro

2. I create a new project

3 bring in my footage

4 create a new sequence

but still cannot drag and drop my footage onto the time line. this has happened on two occasions

prem.jpg

I still after creating a new project, canceling on creating a sequence until I import my movie and then drag it to the new button to create sequence, I am unable to then drag it to the time line

• 9. Re: Time Lapse video
                          Powered by Design Level 4

Since you dragged the video to the new item button I can see it created the sequence for you.

You dont need to drag the footage there.  It should just appear there on the timeline.

Im wondering since its so HUGE that maybe its conforming the AUDIO and the computer is just going slow ???

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WS9FAF538A-BEE3-4925-B45A-DF8BE7F2A2E5.ht ml

Can you play the video in the Source window ?

GLenn

• 10. Re: Time Lapse video
                            geldslaw Level 1

good point about it should've have thrown it onto the time line but it doesn't and no it doesn't playin the source window. I think there's  limit to the duration of the film that can be placed on the time line. But there has to be a a way around this, what if you were editing a video from a security camera or footage from some science project or basically as I am doing, wanting to creating a times laps movie over of the winter to spring over the next few months?

• 11. Re: Time Lapse video
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Premiere Pro is too simple to make a mistake in.

Hardly.  Premiere Pro is a very sophisticated piece of software, and people have trouble all the time because they're not doing things properly.

I found out that the biggest file that you can edit on premiere pro on windows is 3.? gigs which relates to how much memory windows can address.

That's simply not true.

• 12. Re: Time Lapse video
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

Given the specs of your media file, the problem may simply be that PP can't work with this file.  You should try a normal video clip as a test, to be sure all is well with your installation.

• 13. Re: Time Lapse video
                                  geldslaw Level 1

premiere pro works ine with the other films I have recorded with the same digital camera, It's not that I am using a pirate version as I have a legitimate suite that's not even 7 months old. I've been using premiere for the past three years going on 4 years. My use of premiere is simple, you can do complicated things in it but it is simple to use.

Your right, I stand corrected about the file size, it's not premiere but windows that cannot cope with certain files szes, as I had problems copying a hd film that was 10 gigs onto the hard disk and then editing, but I never had the same problem with final cut pro. I will try filming and setting the camera to film at a different quality and see what happens.

thank you for your support so far, happy new year

• 14. Re: Time Lapse video