37 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2012 9:19 AM by the_wine_snob

Adobe premiere elements

8tharmy

has anybody managed to get this product to work? running windows 7. Dowloaded trial of photoshop 10 and decided to buy. Took offfer of combined package. Photoshop works fine can not get premiere to work. tried uninstall and run as trial still does not run from welcome screen. Tried to contact tech support by phone no chance, telephone contact imposible. When presed for tech suport only get message press 1 for 1 2 for 2 etc no matter what button you press voice returns service not available. Phoned sales they put me through to support and surposedly reported fault with telephone system. stillsame today. Gave up waiting for an answer after 45 minutes. Tried chat but they could not help as they did not support premier. told methere was no email support. Overall I have spent two days trying to get this product to work. Adobe is the worst company I have delt with for support. Is there anybody out there that can solve the problem. Computer is toshiba satellite c660/c660d with 6 gig ram. Finally got through to Installation support, worked with them for about an hour, problem not resolved. They have arranged for elements tech support to ring back. Still a problem with telephone lines if dialing 02073650733 and trying to get through to support. 02073650735 works

• 1. Re: Adobe premiere elements
          Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

8tharmy I apologize for the inconvenience.  Did you receive any type of an error message while trying to install Premiere Elements?  Also which version of Windows 7 are you using 32-bit or 64-bit?  Perhaps if you can also post with your case number I can review the notes of what our support team has done so far.

• 2. Re: Adobe premiere elements
            8tharmy Level 1

Hi Jeff

Thanks for replying sorry for delay in replying but your mail went into spam. I have actually asked for a refund after I did not receive the arranged call back at 16:00 yesterday. I thought nobody at adobe cared. I am happy with photo shop but have had to uninstall that too. The case number is 0182891018. Looking around the net a lot of users are having the same problem. If it helps I can tell you what we have done. I run win 7 home service pack 1. 64bit, chrome browser

intel p6100@2 gig 6gig ram 5.8 usable.

Installed and uninstalled myself twice first using serial number then as trial. Ran from shortcut and exe file

Added apple quicktime

On instruction from help

Turned off virus (avg)

in no particular order.

uninstalled and installed

uninstalled quicktime

created a new user with admin rights

installed again

played around with files in all users

This guy was helpfull he spent about an hour with me on the phone. Said it was beyond him and arranged the call back from expert in that software. No problem with that he knew his own capabilities and probably went through the full check list he had.

Last night I uninstalled the program, went to my account clicked on 64 bit downloaded the assistant and program and went through the install process again using the serial number given on order ref AD000953446UK. Program seems to load ok. Wellcome screen comes up. Organize works presumably from photoshop, click new stripped bar apears and file name apear in top left corner comes to quicktime prm and stops. If you can solve the problem I will re order elements 

At the moment I use Pro show gold 

ttfn

johnb

• 3. Re: Adobe premiere elements

8tharmy I am confused do you now have the 64-bit version of Premiere Elements 10 installed?  Are you then having difficulties when you open Premiere Elements?  Is it only when you open a particular file?  Did you receive any error messages while installing the 64-bit version of Premiere Elements?

• 4. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                8tharmy Level 1

Hi Jeff

Sorry for the confusion I can be long winded, as far as I know I have the 64 bit, I downloaded it from my account and chose 64bit. This is name of downloaded file PremiereElements_10_LS15_win64. No  error messages on install or any other time. The only thing that appears when I click on elements short cut is the welcome screen that gives 3 options, organize, new project and open, click on new project striped band appears, files start being named in top left corner of welcome screen. stops at quicktime.prm. File name the goes and left with welcome screen with the loading bar gone. I have now deleted elements and photoshop from my PC as instructed when I asked for a refund. Tech suport has since rang me at about 11:30 today, I asked why they had not rang yesterday as arranged, they apologised and stated they could talk me through the problem as he was an expert. As I was going out he delayed the refund and promised to ring at 16:00 monday. If you or he

can solve the problem I will be happy to cancel the refund, I only requested the refund as I was very frustrated with Adobe and its lack of response. I had spent several hours on getting nowhere. 

ttfn

johnb

• 5. Re: Adobe premiere elements

9tharmy it sounds like you are having difficulties with the functioning of the software itself.  I would recommend either working with the support team or posting your inquiry to the Premiere Elements forum.

• 6. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                    8tharmy Level 1

Hi Jeff 

Will give support team a chance. If they can not help or do not ring on Monday I will transfer the problem. Can I do that, transfer discussion between groups or does adobe have to do it.

ttfn

johnb

• 7. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                      8tharmy Level 1

Hi Jeff

Just checked out elements forum, member there with same problem, both using Toshiba's, could that be the problem?

ttfn

johnb

• 8. Re: Adobe premiere elements

Possibly it might have to do with the image on the computer.  For your convenience I have moved this thread over to the Premiere Elements forum for you.

• 9. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure how much help we can be when both Adobe tech support and an Adobe employee have thrown in the towel!

Sorry for your challenges. In most of our experience, version 10 is quite possibly the best build of Premiere Elements since version 1!

• 10. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                            nealeh Level 5

It sounds as though you have tried all the 'normal' tweaks but check the following to be sure: PrE Hanging, or Crashing - Some Tips

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 11. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                              8tharmy Level 1

Thanks Jeff, replies arriving already

ttfn

johnb

• 12. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                                8tharmy Level 1

Hi Nealeh

Been through the forum you recommended. Toshiba seems to not update its video drivers which could be the problem as another member of premier elements is also using a Toshiba. Do not know how to prove this but it does seem coincidental that others have had problems with these lap tops. Perhaps Adobe has a Toshiba lap top lying around that they could try loading the program on.

ttfn

johnb

• 13. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                                  8tharmy Level 1

Just posted a message on toshiba site re display drivers, latest available is dated 2010, downloaded and tried it makes no diferance. For tech minded here is full spec of my laptop.

Intel® HD Graphics (Pentium)

Report Date:                              12/31/2011

Report Time[hr:mm:ss]:                    17:15:29

Driver Version:                              8.15.10.2189

Operating System:                    Windows 7  Service Pack 1(6.1.7601)

Default Language:                    English (United Kingdom)

DirectX* Version:                    10.0

Physical Memory:                    5938 MB

Minimum Graphics Memory:          32 MB

Maximum Graphics Memory:          1696 MB

Graphics Memory in Use:                    57 MB

Processor:                              Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5

Processor Speed:                    1995 MHz

Vendor ID:                              8086

Device ID:                              0046

Device Revision:                    02

*   Accelerator Information   *

Accelerator in Use:                    Intel(R) HD Graphics

Video BIOS:                              1994.0

Current Graphics Mode:                    1366 by 768

*   Devices Connected to the Graphics Accelerator   *

Active Notebook Displays: 1

*          Built-in Display          *

Monitor Name:                              Generic PnP Monitor

Display Type:                              Digital

Gamma Value:                              3.55

DDC2 Protocol:                              Supported

Maximum Image Size:

Horizontal:                              11.42 inches

Vertical:                              06.30 inches

Monitor Supported Modes:

1366 by 768 (40 Hz)

1366 by 768 (60 Hz) workingat 60

Display Power Management Support:

Standby Mode:                              Not Supported

Suspend Mode:                              Not Supported

Active Off Mode:                    Supported

Raw EDID:

00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 51 F3 91 50 00 00 00 00

02 14 01 03 80 1D 10 FF 2F 00 00 A0 57 49 9B 26

10 48 4F 00 00 00 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01

01 01 01 01 01 01 E7 1B 56 87 50 00 14 30 30 20

25 00 25 A5 10 00 00 19 8E 12 56 87 50 00 14 30

30 20 25 00 25 A5 10 00 00 19 00 00 00 FD 00 00

3C 00 9D 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02

* Other names and brands are the property of their respective owners. *

• 14. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you running Windows 7 64 bit on a Pentium D!?

How much, free, clean, defragmented space is on your C drive?

Between the operating system and this intensive software, your computer may just be overwhelmed.

It's even quite possible that your 1366 x 768 screen isn't large enough to allow the interface to load!

(The minimum specs on the box are usually lower than what's really required. I usually recommend doubling the minimums to get TRUE minimum hardware requirements. And in my books, I recommend at least a 1280x1024 screen in order to display the whole interface.)

• 15. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                                      nealeh Level 5

Almost certainly going to be the graphics drivers - drivers from 2010 can be considered obsolete!

You could try generic ones from http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/graphics/hdgraphics and see if they work better.

And I hope the entry for Video BIOS is a version number and not a year.

Cheers,
                                      --
                                      Neale
                                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 16. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Unless things have greatly improved, Toshiba is horrible at video driver updates, and they repackage the drivers, so that one cannot just go to the nVidia, or ATI/AMD site, then download and install the latest driver - it seldom works. For some years, I had to "roll my own" nVidia drivers for my Toshiba, from this Web Site.

Out of curiosity, I recently checked, and Toshiba had never updated the video driver for my old Satellite. It was the original, and was over 9 years old. That means that it was approximately 100 versions out of date!

Sorry for the bad news, but that is why I would never buy a Toshiba again. Nice computers, but only for about a month.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                                          Ted Smith Level 3

I too have given up trying to download and use a 64 bit version of PE10, having wasted gbs of download data and time in the process.

Adobe seem to be just pig headed with their downloading system.

No doubt they think they are smart but to me and obviously many others, they are just dumb.

Why they can't just simply let you download a simple file like everybody else does I dont know.

My problem is that I only use an old 32bit XP computer connected to the internet and there seems to be no way I can download the 64 bit version to this.

For safety reasons, I never connect my 64bit software writing and video editing computer to the internet and do not have a virus detector in it. I check everything downloaded from the internet before connecting the network cable.

• 18. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                                            8tharmy Level 1

174 gig last defrag 2 days ago

ttfn

johnb

• 19. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                                              8tharmy Level 1

Agree about Adobe, do as I say or tough. Like the idea of isolation, might try with my uld steam powered pc. this forum appears to have identified the problem, why could their tech support not. We must not be the first with toshiba problems. Am going to try the other two ideas about drivers, see were that gets me

ttfn

johnb

• 20. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                                                8tharmy Level 1

sorry forgot processor.Intel (r) Pentium (r) p6100 2 gig

ttfn

johnb

• 21. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                                                  8tharmy Level 1

Sorry Bill do not understand "roll your own"

ttfn

johnb

• 22. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                                                    8tharmy Level 1

no joy system did not like generic

ttfn

johnb

• 23. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                                                      8tharmy Level 1

sorry forgot processor.Intel (r) Pentium (r) p6100 2 gig

ttfn

johnb

• 24. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, because Toshiba has decided to wrap the nVidia, or ATI/AMD video drivers into a proprietary package, precluding using the updated drivers from the chip mfgr., and then decided to offer no updates, or support, one is left holding a "Toshiba bag." That site, that I linked to, allows one to rewrap, say the latest updated nVidia driver, to the specs. set forth by Toshiba. Basically, it will help you get the newest driver, but then change it to the specs. required by Toshiba.

For general computing, updated video drivers are not all THAT important, but with programs, like PrE, or Photoshop, or 3D animation programs, the video driver is much, much more important, and needs to be updated. By refusing to allow direct updating of the video drivers, Toshiba has made a decision that their users will be excluded from driver updates, and this can be a major problem.

Things might have gotten better, but I found Toshiba's support to be totally non-existant. I think I still have 3 cases open with them, from about 9 years ago, and never got one response. That Satellite is now long gone, so it became moot with me, but when I needed new laptops, I would never even consider a Toshiba, based on my personal experiences.

Good luck, and I only wish that Toshiba would "see the light," and begin to support their otherwise good laptops.

Hunt

• 25. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                                                          8tharmy Level 1

thanks bill will give it a try

ttfn

johnb

• 26. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                                                            8tharmy Level 1

Hi bill

Tried it, no different, looks like Toshiba and adobe premiere do not mix. Will await Adobe's tech support call back tomorrow at 16:00 but I do not think they will do any better than this forums members.

ttfn

johnb

• 27. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

It is not just Adobe, but any program that interfaces closely with the video driver. I had the same issues with AVID/Pinnacle and several 3D programs of that era. Back then, Photoshop did not use the video driver as much as it does now, but the Toshiba was only really good for general computing, such as Web browsing, e-mails, word processing and spreadsheets. Get much beyond that, and it was horribly handicapped by the lack of video driver support.

What happened when you re-wrapped the latest video driver into a Toshiba package, and installed it?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 28. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                                                                8tharmy Level 1

driver unpacked and installed, no change to non running of elements. tried inels own too machine would not accept

ttfn

johnb

• 29. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, so you have an Intel graphics chip in your Toshiba?

From my personal experiences, and from those of many users of Intel graphics chips, that is like having two strikes against you, when you "step up to the plate." Intel makes good chips, but historically, their driver support is almost non-existant, just slightly better than Toshiba's driver support. It is very likely that the very latest Intel driver is no better, than the one you had installed from Toshiba.

As I had an nVidia chip in my Toshiba Satellite, I was just re-wrapping the very latest nVidia driver to fool the system into thinking that it WAS a Toshiba driver. With Intel, you are probably relegated to a driver that is at least a year old, if not much older. Video drivers can be rendered obsolete by simple things, like an OS update, or even hot-fix. That is the main reason why nVidia and ATI/AMD issue so very many - about one per month, to keep up with changes in the OS.

Sorry for all of the bad news, but that is why I strongly recommend either an nVidia, or ATI/AMD graphics chip. Not sure how the new Intel Sandybridge (or similar) graphics chips will play out, but until Intel steps up and begins releasing updated drivers with a frequency matching nVidia's, or ATI/AMD's, I will not recommend their graphics chips. You already know how I feel about Toshiba's driver support, so will not beat that "dead horse."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 30. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                                                                    8tharmy Level 1

As expected tech support did notring back again yesterday. They a) can not resolve this problem, b) do not want to addmit their program does not work on Toshiba's. If an adobe moderator reads this message will they pass on my disgust at adobe's tech support. I would not mind them addmitting defeat but to ignore their appointments is beyond belief. Does tech support even look at this or any forums, maybe they should! Thanks to the forums members, I think the solution is the drivers. Will give up with trying to get elements to work and instruct the tech support that rang, back friday, 24 hours late to process the refund.

• 31. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve Grisetti is our MOD here, but he's just like the rest of us - a user, with no direct ties to Adobe, so we do not have any conduit to Adobe. Now, from time to time, there ARE some Adobe employees, who drop by the forum, but I do not believe that any are "assigned" to monitor it. They just drop in, when they have a moment, and often respond in threads. Most have "Employoee" in their Profiles, though not all do. [Personally, I think that it is a good idea if they all would have that Employee badge.]

In this case, however, I do not think that there will be anything that Adobe can do. They do not write drivers for video cards - their programs just interface with them, and PrE and PSE, much more intensely, than most other programs.

First, driver support is the total responsibility of the mfgr. of the graphics chip. In the case of Toshiba, Dell, HP and a few others, there is a shared responsibility, as they re-wrap drivers from nVidia, ATI/AMD and Intel, for improved performance. In the case of Dell and HP, they are very quick to re-wrap all new drivers from nVidia, or ATI/AMD, and post them onto their Web sites. As Intel does not believe in much driver support, there is not much that even Dell, or HP can do.

Now, Toshiba has not historically been good at re-wrapping new drivers, like Dell & HP do.

This is just my speculation, but is built from years of working with computers in graphics situations: some mfgrs. calculate that a majority of their customers are only doing general computing, and in that usage, updated graphics drivers are far less important. They just turn their backs on any customer, who might be doing graphics work, such as newer Photoshop work, and video editing, or any 3D creation/editing. They figure that the numbers are just too low to bother with. Pretty much the same for Intel - if it works for most of our customers, fine, but if it does not, "too bad - so sad."

This is why I would ONLY have a graphics display card from nVidia, or ATI/AMD. It is also why, if I were to buy a computer from a company that re-wraps the video drivers, it would ONLY be from Dell, or HP, as they seem to take video driver support (actually other drivers as well) very seriously.

Have you contacted Toshiba C/S, or T/S and asked for their help with new video drivers? The ball is in their court. It is their responsibility to help you here. I wish you better luck there, than what I experienced.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 32. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                                                                        8tharmy Level 1

Have contacted toshiba, so far no response. I do realize it is toshiba's responsibility to update their drivers but also Adobe has a responsibility to keep appointments they make. Tech support did ring back again today again 24 hours late. I feel it was in response to my notes I attached to my open cases. Their rep was very apologetic but that did not help me you guys did. Adobe needs to get its act together

ttfn

johnb

• 33. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

As for Adobe T/S, it HAS gotten better, but Adobe let T/S slip badly, so it is not yet up to the level that it once was.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 34. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                                                                            8tharmy Level 1

Hi Bill

Toshiba's reply and it WORKS on my machine, elements runs fine. Laptop reverts to basic display after restart and I used the graphics adaptor that loads with the download in advance mode to alter refresh rate to 60. The default is 40

ttfn
                                                                            johnb

----- Forwarded Message -----
                                                                            From: Call Center UK CS <laptop@toshiba.co.uk>

Sent:
                                                                            Wednesday, 4 January 2012, 9:14
                                                                            Subject: Re:Toshiba Computer Systems Enquiry

Dear Mr Bray

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                            Toshiba Reference Number:      
                                                                            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your recent enquiry.
                                                                              Please try uninstalling the present display driver and updating it with the latest driver from Intel, to uninstall the present driver please boot the Notebook to the Windows desktop screen, open the Start Menu and type Device in to the search line, select Device Manager from the list above where you typed. In the Device Manager click the arrow to the left of the line saying Display adapter, then right click the Intel display adapters name and select Uninstall. When prompted whether you want to continue the uninstall, make sure that you put a Tic in the box where it says Do you want to delete the software for this device.

Once the driver is uninstalled restart the notebook and download the driver,

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/2067 6/a08/Win7Vista_64_152252.exe&lang=eng&Dwnldid=20676&keyword=%22HM55%22

Install the driver and then test the Adobe software, if you are still having issues please contact Adobe support at http://www.adobe.com/support/photoshopelements/  .

If you require any further assistance please contact us on 0844 847 8944 (UK) or 01248 1248 (Ireland), Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm or reply to this email.

Regards,

Ian
                                                                            Toshiba

Connect with Toshiba: Facebook / YouTube / Twitter / Toshiba Life

--
                                                                            • 35. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

So it was the default refresh rate, that was causing the issue? Great news, and so glad that Toshiba got back to you. I was actually not expecting them to, but maybe they have gotten their T/S on track.

Thanks for reporting the fix, and happy that Tosiba stepped up here.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 36. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                                                                                8tharmy Level 1

Not sure if it was default refresh rate, or the new driver. Suspect it was new driver as the old driver refresh was set at 60. Lets hope adobe gets their ts up to speed.

ttfn

johnb

• 37. Re: Adobe premiere elements
                                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Got you and thanks for that clarification.

Appreciated,

Hunt