11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2012 3:43 PM by alanst2

'Flickery' Roller and Crawl titles

alanst2 Level 1

For some reason, Title 'crawl' and 'roll' have become flickery, almost as though the field order is wrong (It isn't but I've tried swapping just in case). The underlying video is fine. I'm in the UK so aim for PAL output. Just for 'fun' I tried Project Settings set for NTSC 720x480 and then rolls and crawls seem fine. I recently upgraded from PrEl 9 to PrEl 10 and the same applies. I see the same on two different PCs. Do others see this effect? I've played some DVDs created earlier and they are OK.

I wonder whether I've changed some 'buried' setting but have checked everywhere and can find nothing amiss.

Can anyone point me in a useful direction? Thanks and a Happy New Year to all.

• 1. Re: 'Flickery' Roller and Crawl titles
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you rendered your timeline?

If you render your timeline (press Enter) whenever you see red lines above the clips on your timeline (the red lines will turn green), your playback will look much more like your final output.

• 2. Re: 'Flickery' Roller and Crawl titles
            alanst2 Level 1

Thanks for the response, Steve, but I have rendered the timeline. There is a green line over the roller, the video is imported from mDV, via Firewire, and is PAL throughout. What seems odd is that if I set the Project Settings to NTSC and 'Share' to mDV NTSC then all is well with the roll and crawl. For  the NTSC test I had no available video so used a plain colour background. Similar arrangements in PAL flicker, rather like film effect, as described.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Alan S.

• 3. Re: 'Flickery' Roller and Crawl titles

What project settings did you select when you first set up your project, Alan?

(You can see -- but not change -- them under Edit/Project Settings.)

Can you confirm that your project settings are PAL DV, your video is from a tape-based PAL miniDV camcorder and your output is PAL DV?

• 4. Re: 'Flickery' Roller and Crawl titles
                alanst2 Level 1

I can confirm that Project Settings are PAL DV, my video is from tape based PAL mDV camcorder (Sony VX1000) and Output is PAL DV. Just for the record, the situation is the same when no tape is used, purely roller/crawler over black/coloured background. Also, it's the same when output is to mpeg for subsequent DVD use.

Thanks again for your time.

Alan S.

• 5. Re: 'Flickery' Roller and Crawl titles
                  alanst2 Level 1

For consistant results, I just did the  following tests.

1. Project Settings: DV NTSC Standard : 11 second roller over black : output to AVI NTSC Standard

Result: perfectly smooth roll

2. Project Settings: DV PAL Standard : 11 second roller over black : output to AVI PAL Standard

Result: flickery roll, very similar to field order being wrong

I also produced mpg 2 versions of each. Same results. These are about 8mb each. I've uploaded them to my website server, in case it's useful to see what I'm banging on about:

http://www.aspal.co.uk/alantest/mpeg_1_ntsc.mpg

http://www.aspal.co.uk/alantest/mpeg_1_pal.mpg

All the best,

Alan S.

• 6. Re: 'Flickery' Roller and Crawl titles

Sorry, Alan. I've no idea what this is happening. Hopefully you or someone else can figure it out.

• 7. Re: 'Flickery' Roller and Crawl titles
                      alanst2 Level 1

After a lot of  head scratching, I think I have found an answer. I have had this problem on v9 and v10. However, I knew that it used to be OK. So, having found my original v8 program I installed it. Problem not evident!

Might I venture to suggest that Adobe 'broke' something from v9 onwards, with roll and crawl titles?

I like working with v10 so, for the time being, I can export to v8 fo adding rollers or crawlers. A bit inconvenient.

I understand that Adobe 'lurk' in these forums. If so, would they care to comment?

• 8. Re: 'Flickery' Roller and Crawl titles
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Alan,

Do you get the same issues, if, instead of using the Roll/Crawl Presets, you Keyframe the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position?

Good luck, and thanks for reporting your observations,

Hunt

• 9. Re: 'Flickery' Roller and Crawl titles
                          alanst2 Level 1

Thanks for your thought Bill. Answer 'no', that shows good smooth results but, unless I'm missing something, only a visible screensworth of text can be made visible. Anything off the still screen is not visible. Am I being daft?!

Alan

• 10. Re: 'Flickery' Roller and Crawl titles
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Alan,

One can create a Rolling Title up to 4000 pixels tall, or a Crawling Title up to 4000 pixels wide. Though one can do that in Titler, because of its display limitation, I find it easier to do in Photoshop, as a PSD with Transparency. Then, with Keyframing on Motion>Position, you can position that off-screen, and can animate to end up off-screen in the opposite direction. Now, when adjusting the coordinates, one might need to scrub a bunch, or just click-type in the attributes. One can type in positive, or negative attributes.

Once one gets the hang of Keyframing, they will likely never go back, because of the extreme power. Note, when Keyframes are created, their Interpolation will be Linear, but can easily be changed to various forms of Bezier, to smooth things out.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: 'Flickery' Roller and Crawl titles
                              alanst2 Level 1

Thanks very much for the information, Bill. I'm certainly familiar with keyframing so will give it a try.

Alan S.