8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2012 12:10 AM by manimatters

Hybrid extensions Signing and Aliases

manimatters

I've been trying to package a hybrid extension ( a CSXS extension as well as my indesign plugin). What I notice is that if I try and create a hybrid extension, it copies the originals in place of the aliases in the plugin, so the file size is increased greatly. This happens both by using the Signing toolkit as well as using the Extension Builder. However, if I create an unsigned extension using Extension Manager (package zxp extension), the plugin and aliases in it are intact. Can anyone point out where I'm going wrong? Is there a setting somewhere that I'm missing? Any help would be appreciated

• 1. Re: Hybrid extensions Signing and Aliases
          manimatters Level 1

I tested it out more and it seems that its suppose to happen that way on Mac. Can anyone confirm by trying to include an alias and trying to create a signed zxp. The alias gets replaceed by the original file. Is that intended?

• 2. Re: Hybrid extensions Signing and Aliases
            manimatters Level 1

I'm still stuck with this signing issue, while messing around, I just saw the command line options for the zip command on Mac. There is an option:

-y   store symbolic links as the link instead of the referenced file.

It seems that the ucf.jar used to create the zxp package does not use this option, hence the alias gets replaced by the referenced file. Are there any other command line options for the ucf.jar tool, other than the ones listed in "PkgSignDeployTechNote.pdf"? Is there any way I can keep links as links, and not let them get replaced by the referenced file.

• 3. Re: Hybrid extensions Signing and Aliases
              Harbs. Level 6

I haven't played with hybrid installer in a while (we use custom installers).

IIRC, you only need to sign the CS Extension part of the zxp. Why are you signing the whole hybrid bundle?

Harbs

• 4. Re: Hybrid extensions Signing and Aliases
                manimatters Level 1

If I dont sign the whole bundle, the extension manager shows a warning about  an unsigned extension while installing. The user can choose to install anyway and hide future warnings, but this seems less than ideal. I read in another thread that we only need to sign the CS Extension part, but does that not result in a warning for anyone else?

• 5. Re: Hybrid extensions Signing and Aliases
                  Harbs. Level 6

manimatters wrote:

I read in another thread that we only need to sign the CS Extension part, but does that not result in a warning for anyone else?

IIRC, it doesn't...

• 6. Re: Hybrid extensions Signing and Aliases
                    manimatters Level 1

First off, thanks for your help here. I really appreciate it .

Are you sure have the "Show warning while installing unsigned ZXP extensions" checkbox in Extension Manager preferences checked?

If it doesn't cause a warnign for anyone else, I must be going wrong somewhere in between. Here's a sequence of what I do to create the whole bundle:

1. Create the CS Extension seperately using the CS Extension builder and export it, signing using a self-signed certificate. So this "CSExtension.zxp" is signed. Installing this alone works perfect, no warnings at all.

2. Create the InDesign plugins.

3. Create an mxi file with has the lines:

<file destination="" file-type="CSXS" products="" source="CSExtension.zxp"/>

<file destination="$indesign/Plug-Ins/MyPlugin" file-type="plugin" platform="mac" products="InDesign" source="MyPlugin.InDesignPlugin"/>

<file destination="$indesign/Plug-Ins/WebProof" file-type="plugin" platform="mac" products="InDesign" source="MyPluginUI.InDesignPlugin"/>

4. Put the plugins and the Extension in the proper place and Package the "CSExtension.zxp" and the plugins together using Extension Manager, creating "HybridExtension.zxp" using the above mxi.

Installing this "HybridExtension.zxp" causes the warning about the unsigned extension.

Can you see anything wrong in the procedure?

Also, though a little  off topic, I would like to ask about how we can get rid of the "Publisher cannot be verified" warning while installing. Do we need to purchase a codesigning certificate?

the document at http://cssdk.host.adobe.com/sdk/1.0/docs/WebHelp/getting_started/Deploying_the_Extension.h tm says:

"If the certificate does not belong to Adobe or a verified company, you are warned that the publisher cannot be verified". I am unsure about what a "verified company" means. Does buying a certificate from say, GlobalSign, makes it "verified"?

• 7. Re: Hybrid extensions Signing and Aliases
                      Harbs. Level 6

manimatters wrote:

Can you see anything wrong in the procedure?

No. That looks about right. Like I said: I use custom installers and avoid Extension Manager altogether...

Have you tried using Extension Builder to package your hybrid extension?

Does buying a certificate from say, GlobalSign, makes it "verified"?

Yes.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Hybrid extensions Signing and Aliases
                        manimatters Level 1

Yes, As I said in my OP, I did try the Extention Builder to package my hybrid extension(so it is signed). I also tried the Signing Toolkit. Both do the job fine, but the only problem is that on Mac, the aliases in my .InDesingPlugin files get replaced by the referenced files/folders.

(like using the Mac zip command without the -y option which   stores symbolic links as the link instead of the referenced file.)

This causes the plugin size to increase (almost triple).