11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2012 1:33 PM by Steve Grisetti

converting in premiere

imhal Level 1

I found thru this forum an artice by Steve Grisetti in MUVIPIX about converting files etc. This is the best article I have seen explaining not only the converting of files but how Premeier 10 handles these.  Thanks Steve.  With that said I have a question or 3.  I did what was explained in this article by doing this in Premeire, I took some files from the "Classroom in a Book" and brought them into Premiere.  It told be the presets were wrong so I let premiere change it and brought them in.  When I went to render the file it just burped and told me it was shutting down. So i did it again , but this time the presets were correct from my previuos attempt and all worked and I then had a AVI file.  Seems if the presets are wrong Premeier does not like it at all.  I did not know what the presets were for these files. What I would like to know is will this work with MPEG and AVCHD files as imputs also? It seems like such a simple solution to a problem I have been discussing in another thread , finding a replacement for my worn out camcorder, not many options other than AVCHD that i can get into my computer. And I would rather edit with AVI files as my animation programs output to AVI.

Thank You

Hal

• 1. Re: converting in premiere
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Hi, Hal. Glad we've been able to help you!

I wish I could help you with the Classroom in a Book files, but that's an Adobe publication and I've no idea what format they're in.

But I do know that sometimes MPEG files confuse the program and the program sometimes incorrectly offers to change the project settings to fit them, messing things up.

Premiere Elements can certainly work with AVCHD, M2TS and even MPEG files in a project properly set up to work with them. So, if you know what the video specs are, set your project up to work with your video and ignore its attempts to change the project settings.

The true test is if, once you've started your project, the video clips you add to your timeline have red lines above them. If when you add your clips there are no red (or green) lines above your clips, you've got an ideal match between source video and project settings.

Does that help at all?

If you need help identifying a files resolution or codec, you can open the video file in a program like G Spot or Media Info and it will list the files video and audio specs.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: converting in premiere
            imhal Level 1

This is all helping a bunch.  I have been looking at different camcorders , the one that was leading the pack is a Panasonic sd800k , which you have pointed out some problems.  I have asked Panasonic about the different AVCDH files and they seem to not know.  While I know the 1080p files wil not work with PRE , i have not been able to determind if the AVCHD files it can use will work enough to convert to AVI.  I am looking hard at the Sony's , lots of them can use either AVCHD or DV files so these are looking good , I just like the 3 sensors on the Panosonic, seems the video quality will be much better with it.  But the idea of converting to something PRE can use on my not al that powerful computer has to be a big consideration.  All you have told me has been a great help . to this caught in the stoneage video person

Hal

• 3. Re: converting in premiere

I owned a 3 CCD Panasonic once and, in my experience, it didn't produce any better picture than my Sonys (my favorite brand).  In fact, the Sony was much better in low light. But that's your call. Panasonic, Sony and Canon are all excellent brands.

The one challenge with Panasonic is that many of their camcorders now shoot in 60p (despite the fact that your TV only shows 30 frames per second -- so ultimately any benefit you get from twice as many frames per second is muted once you put the video on a DVD or BluRay).

Fortunately, many of these cams do have the option of also shooting in 60i. (60i means 60 interlaced frames to second, which is 30 actual frames. So 60i and 30i mean the same thing.) So check the specs, whichever brand you decide to go with. If you can shoot in 60i/30i, you'll be fine. But 60p 1920x1080 video can now only really be edited natively in professional programs.

Does that help?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: converting in premiere
                imhal Level 1

Again Steve , more good info.  So of course more questions.  About AVCHD, does it have a certian format such as 1080i ? I have tried finding info on this with no luck.  And does any AVCHD use 1080P?

Most of the camcoders say they are , I am looking in Videomaker Magazines buyers guide, MPEG-4 AVC/H.264  . I assume this is the compression it uses.  The HD resolution is 1920x1080.  So how do I determind if its 1080i or 1080P.  Is any AVCHD in 1920x1080P or is these 2 totally different ways of recording. For instance in the Panasonic site it list its compresions as:

1080 / 60p : MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (original format)

HA / HG / HX / HE : MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (AVCHD standard compliant)

But does not say what  resolution the HA/ HG etc is. While Sony lists :

High Definition

MPEG AVC/H.264

1920 x 1080p, 1920 x 1080p, 1920 x 1080i (60/24/60 fps)

High Definition

MPEG AVC/H.264

1440 x 1080i (60 fps)

Standard Definition

720 x 480i (60 fps)

So by looking at the Sony its MPEG has lots of options.

I guess what I am trying to determind is what I can use in Premiere, using the method you have of bringing in a file and converting it to AVI.   I know I cannot do this with a1080P file , so its important to know before I get a new camcorder if i can use the files in Premiere, You might say I am confused.

The Sony has the option of 720x480i , which in itself would make life a bit easier , but will this give me the best quality DVD of the options avaible in the Sony.

Thanks again Steve, you have been incredibly helpful.

Hal

• 5. Re: converting in premiere

I'm not sure what you mean by " bringing in a file and converting it to AVI".

But, yes, with that multi-format camcorder, there are usually at least a couple of formats you can record to in order to create a video Premiere Elements can edit.

AVCHD comes in both 1920x1080 and 1440x1080. These are virtually the same resolution and they produce the same size picture (the 1440x1080 uses TV pixels, which are non-square). And, as long as you see an "i" listed in the specs, the cam is producing interlaced video, so you'll have virtually no problems editing it in Premiere Elements.

• 6. Re: converting in premiere
                    imhal Level 1

Hi Steve  Thanks again.  What i meant by "bringing in a file " was to bring it into premeire's timeline  and then save it as an AVI file. 

I now know what i need to determind what camcoder to get , I am leaning towards the Sony's, there are a  lot that will do a good job. 

Hal

• 7. Re: converting in premiere

I'm a Sony man myself. I've owned 5 of them over the past 20 or so years and I've never been unhappy!

• 8. Re: converting in premiere
                        imhal Level 1

Steve.  I have been looking at the Sony line alot, I have used for the last 10 years or so a Digital 8 sony and I have loved it , its just getting old,   Of the 3 I am looking at one as a 1/4 " CMOS sensor and the other 2 have a 1/2.88" CMOS sensor ( which seems to me to be a 1/3" CMOS sensor)  In you opinion , is there a seeable difference in these sensors?   The models I am looking at are the HDR-CX160, which has the 1/4" sensor and the HDR-CX560v and the HXR-CX50U, which is most likely a dream  more than a reality .

Thank you  Hal

• 9. Re: converting in premiere

As a general rule, the larger the CMOS, the better the camcorder will work in low-light.

But you may not see much difference between a 1/4" and a 1/3" CMOS. It's a pretty subtle difference. And, in my experience, Sonys are especially good in lower light situations anyway.

You really can't pick a lemon, when you go with a Sony.

• 10. Re: converting in premiere
                            imhal Level 1

Thanks Steve , I ordered the Sony HDR CX160 , it has the ability to output in 720x480 and has the abilty for higher resolutions if I ever need it. 

• 11. Re: converting in premiere

Excellent!