11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2012 9:15 AM by howard.z

Footage and Formats

howard.z Level 1

Hi Folks,

Well, I've got another question for you guys! I've just got my system up and running, and it's MUCH faster than the laptop I was working with previously. I'm still pretty green when it comes to Adobe, but I've been finding the videos & forums quite useful. I'm using Adobe to do color correction on commercial DVD's that are bad quality, or noise reduction on VCD's. I'm working with pretty obscure movies, and the sources sometimes stink or the DVD production is on the cheap side. I've been very happy with the results I'm seeing so far, but I was wondering: When working with footage taken from a DVD, what format should I be converting the footage to for work in Adobe? Should I be ripping the DVD to an AVI file, making the corrections, and then transferring back to MPEG? Should I demux the DVD and work with the MPEG footage? When re-authoring the DVD, should I be using Adobe or should I be using something like Muxman? How would the Adobe Jedis approach this kind of thing?

Thanks!!

Howard

• 1. Re: Footage and Formats
          Harm Millaard Level 7

If the .VOB files were created 100% in line with DVD standards, then all you need to do is importing the VOB files into your project.

If the .VOB files are not 100% DVD compliant, your need to convert them externally to MPEG before editing.

In general it is much better to get the source material, because you will take a clear quality hit when editing DVD material, apart from the legal aspects.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Footage and Formats
            SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Hi Howard,

As Harm said, edit the .VOB files directly, but just wanted to note that you should copy them to your VIDEO hard drive first, don't try to edit right off the disc for obvious performance reasons.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 3. Re: Footage and Formats
              howard.z Level 1

Hi!

Thanks for the help! When exporting the VOB, what format should I be exporting to? MPEG? Is it possible to export as a VOB?

Thanks again!

h

• 4. Re: Footage and Formats
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't think PPro has VOB as an output... that type is created when you author in Encore

• 5. Re: Footage and Formats

Hi Howard,

John is correct, .VOB files are only created by the DVD software when creating the actual DVD. So EDIT the .VOB files from the DVD that you need to color correct, then from the Premiere timeline, Export to DVD again. You can either use the Dynamic Link to Encore, or use Adobe Media Encoder to export to MPEG-2 for DVD and then Import those assets into Encore for authoring.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 6. Re: Footage and Formats
                    Jim Curtis Level 3

Harm Millaard wrote:

In general it is much better to get the source material, because you will take a clear quality hit when editing DVD material, apart from the legal aspects.

If you haven't needed to use VMS' wonderful surveillance grade video from terrestrial broadcasts in a while to cut a PR piece, you probably won't be shocked to learn that the way to get their footage now is on DVD.

This situation was actually my entree into Premiere Pro a few years back, as it was the only Mac NLE that could use VOB files natively.  Seems to me, that's still the best way to preserve what little quality remains.  Either that, or transcode to uncompressed, which seems like keeping a Yugo in a gold-plated garage.

• 7. Re: Footage and Formats
                      howard.z Level 1

Hi Guys!

Thanks for the input. What I have been doing is de-muxing the video with PCG demux and then loding the video sans audio into adobe. PGC creates an MPEG-2 of the entire film. I'd make my changes, and then re-mux. Am I losing quality by demuxing and then remuxing? Would you recommend that I import each VOB into a single timeline and then make my changes or should I be treating each VOB as a separate project?

Thanks!

h

• 8. Re: Footage and Formats
                        Jim Curtis Level 3

Yes, you are losing quality.  You are converting from a highly compressed source to a highly compressed intermediate, and then re-compressing to another highly compressed destination, losing quality every step of the way.  No need to demux as has been pointed out very clearly in this thread, unless as Harm said, they don't import successfully.

Treat each VOB as a single CLIP.  You can put them all in one project, and in one timeline.  Depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Footage and Formats
                          howard.z Level 1

Hi Jim!

I think I understand now. Import each VOB one at a time, as part of a single timeline. Then, I would render the file as an MPEG-2 for DVD? Do I have it right?

Thanks for the help!

Howard

• 10. Re: Footage and Formats

Hi Howard,

Correct, import the .vob files and assemble end to end on the timeline and that will provide the entire movie. Color correct as needed. You are working on the ORIGINAL files at this point, there has been no conversions of any sort. When complete, export to MPEG-2 for DVD. The DVD will of course need authoring, I don't know of any way to rework all the footage yet keep the original menus.

Are you doing this for personal use, or remastering for commercial purposes?

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 11. Re: Footage and Formats
                              howard.z Level 1

Hi Jeff,

This is for personal use. I do have a process of keeping the original menus, which involves some freeware. I will be creating new menus, though, becuase it's fun to play around with this stuff. This is all being done for personal use, with obscure films from my DVD & VCD collection of foreign films.

Thanks!

Howard