6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2011 6:00 AM by b2martin_a

big problem with DNG converter

rene_ladole

Hi

I would like to convert all my RAW CR2 canon to DNG (The format RAW CR2 change every time) and work with my PSE

I downloded DNG converter 6.5 and make a test but there is a big problème, the date of the .dng is not the date of the RAW, it's date of the convert...for me, it's impossible i want keep the original date.

Please, could you help me......

Thanks

René

• 1. Re: big problem with DNG converter
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The DNG converter does not actually "convert" your raw images, but rather creates a DNG additional copy of that image. It uses the computer date as a source for the time of the creation of that file. However, the original date and time will still be part of the metadata for each file.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: big problem with DNG converter
            rene_ladole Level 1

Hi

Thanks but

The problem is that the file date is changed by dng converter, when I want to rename the file with DNG as a parameter of the date of creation of the photo, the renamer is in the name of the date of creation dng, it can not go to my ranking of my photos .... I do batch converting all my pictures are dated the same date
            crowns my English, I'm french

• 3. Re: big problem with DNG converter
              Level 4

Well, this is the way it works.    C'est la vie!

Perhaps there's a way of achieving what you want through scripting, by writing a script that can read into the metadata of the file, where the date taken is preserved.

You may want to post in the Bridge Scripting or Photoshop Scripting forum.

Bridge Scripting

Photoshop Scripting

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 4. Re: big problem with DNG converter
                Jeff Schewe Level 5

rene_ladole wrote:

The problem is that the file date is changed by dng converter, when I want to rename the file with DNG as a parameter of the date of creation of the photo, the renamer is in the name of the date of creation dng, it can not go to my ranking of my photos ....

There are three potential dates with a digital capture, the Date/Time the file was created, the date/time the file was modified and the EXIF metadata Date/Time Original which is recorded by the camera at the moment of exposure. It is this final Date/Time that you would want to use in a name. Any time you create a new file–which is what DNG Converter is designed to do, you'll get a new date/time of that file's creation. That's not something the DNG Converter can change. If you take the DNG into ACR/Lightroom and modify the settings, you'll get a new date/time of the modification. However, the EXIF metadata will still correctly indicate the moment the capture was created in the EXIF Date Time Original tag.

So, what are you using to rename the files? If you are using Bridge to rename the file, the Date Time option when set to Date Created should be using the EXIF Date Time Original tag as the source of the date/time. Other apps should also be able to be set to use the EXIF Date Time Original tag.

• 5. Re: big problem with DNG converter
                  Vit Novak Level 3

You can use exiftool utility to set the date of dng file according to exif - something like

exiftool  "-DateTimeOriginal>FileModifyDate"  <filename.dng>

or for all files

exiftool  "-DateTimeOriginal>FileModifyDate"   *.dng

However, when you edit a dng with ACR, date will be updated again - unless ...

• 6. Re: big problem with DNG converter
                    b2martin_a Level 2

Can you rename the file before you do the DNG conversion?