6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2012 8:26 AM by Peter Spier

Upgrade Costs / Policies Changes

Daniel Flavin Level 4

Having realized the potential to lose upgrade eligibility, I just visited the Adobe Store and spoke with a representative.

It is a bitter pill to swallow - upgrade now or lose upgrade eligibility completely. http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2011/11/adobe-creative-cloud-and-adobe-creative-suite -new-choices-for-customers.html

And there is, although not stated as such, a $250 penalty to upgrade to 5.5 from CS4.  ($649 from CS4 vs $399 from CS5)

There is a 20% discount if the upgade is made before December 31

I don't think my workstation will run CS5.5 effectively, but it is going to cost me not to purchase the seat I cannot run.

• 1. Re: Upgrade Costs / Policies Changes
          John Hawkinson Level 5

I'm going to repeat my post from another thread here verbatim; but are you talking about upgrading InDesign only or upgrading from suite package? Because the latter has been extended to March.

New Information: Suite edition (only) 20% discount extended to March for North America

I don't know when this happened, but I noticed it this morning and Google's Cache dates it back to Dec. 23. Per http://store.adobe.com/store/en_us/popup/offer/discount_off_products.h tml, Adobe has extended the 20% upgrade discount window to March 15, 2012:

Subject to Creative Suite upgrade eligibility requirements, save 20% off the standard upgrade price when upgrading from one of the qualifying products listed below* to Adobe® Creative Suite® 5.5 Design Premium, Design Standard, Master Collection, Production Premium, or Web Premium software  purchased through the Adobe Store, Adobe Customer Service, or a participating reseller in North America between October 3, 2011 and March 15, 2012.

Customers with valid licenses to use one of the following Creative Suite editions are eligible to upgrade to any current suite edition with this offer: 

• Creative Suite 4 Design Premium, Design Standard, Web Premium, Web Standard, Production Premium, or Master Collection
          • Creative Suite 3 Design Premium, Design Standard, Web Premium, Web Standard, Production Premium, or Master Collection
          • Creative Suite 2 Premium or Standard
          • Adobe Production Studio Premium or Standard
          • Adobe Design Bundle (Adobe Creative Suite 2 Premium and Macromedia® Flash® Professional 8)
          • Adobe Web Bundle (Adobe Creative Suite 2 Premium and Macromedia Studio 8)
          • Adobe Video Bundle (Adobe Production Studio Premium and Macromedia Flash Professional 8)
          • Macromedia Studio 8

Previously, this offer expired at the end of this calendar year. For non-North American stores (at least the one I checked -- Netherlands), this offer still expires on Dec. 31.

It also does not apply to upgrades to a suite edition of the product from a point product, e.g. it does not apply to an upgrade from InDesign CS2 to Design Standard CS5; 20% discount on that upgrade expires on Dec. 31.

I suspect it might be a good idea to start a new thread on this (as well), but I thought everyone subscribed to this thread would want to see it.

• 2. Re: Upgrade Costs / Policies Changes
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I wouldn't jump just yet. Scott kelby made a very compelling argument last month on behalf of the NAPP membership, and I think there's a possibility that Adobe may be rethinking the timing on the eligibility change, though I certainly can't say with certainty that they will reverse themselves. I would anticipate though, that if there is going to be any news, it would be coming in early January, and withthe extension of the discounts that makes waiting a few more weeks a little less of a risk.

• 3. Re: Upgrade Costs / Policies Changes
              Daniel Flavin Level 4

It appears I have an extra quarter to make my decision. I have the Design Suite Premium, not a stand alone product, the last release of the ASN Print Service Provider Program.

• 4. Re: Upgrade Costs / Policies Changes
                Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@John:
                Adobe extended its offer on the German store to March 15, 2012:

http://store.adobe.com/store/de/popup/offer/CS55_save20_201110.html

Uwe

• 5. Re: Upgrade Costs / Policies Changes
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

And here's more.... CS3 and CS4 users will be eligible for upgrade pricing to CS6 until 12/31/12.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq/upgrade-policy.html

Bob

• 6. Re: Upgrade Costs / Policies Changes
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Looks Like Adobe needs to update the links from that page, though. Click on the Upgrade Policy link and you find the old terms, so while it now seems that users have been heard, we still don't know exactly what the offer will be, but I suppose that's because CS6 is not yet released so no pricing of any sort is available.