3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2011 1:04 PM by Rick Gerard

How do I improve performance of FLV movies exported from AE?

Lot_2_Learn

Hello,

I just created three animations in AE that I am using in Flash  I  "embed FLV in the SWF and play in teh timeline" .  When I test my scene they are jumpy and don't look very good. I am very new to Flash, AE, & web development so I'm certain there are several things I should change...

a list of guidelines and tips would be great.

This specific example is very simple.  Three shapes, each is a thick white line surrounded by one color (Cyan, Magenta, & Yellow), hard edge, black BG.  (The reason I used AE is because I needed the stroke effect to trace a path)

Some recommendations and best practices for my example would be greatly appreciated.

Or maybe I'm thinking about this wrong... maybe I should be outputing as something different or exporting or saving... IDK

Thank You!

• 1. Re: How do I improve performance of FLV movies exported from AE?
          bogiesan Level 4

when you add effects to vector art it gets rasterized. Flash only plays video files as movies, not Flash animations.

Stick with the fundmaental tutorials for Flash and Dreamweaver unitl you have a firm grasp on all of the different ways pixels can get painted onto a screen. Then start using After Effects do serious work that you know Flash cannot perform.

• 2. Re: How do I improve performance of FLV movies exported from AE?
            Lot_2_Learn Level 1

I'll do it.  Can you help me find a way to give the appearance of tracing a path?  Right now I am using two MCs that are shape tweens repeatedly... it seems tedious and lining up all the MCs is getting difficult.

*edit*

I have two MCs.  A line that grows 21px and an arc that goes 11.25 degress.

The reason I am repeating MCs every frame is because when I put keyframes every 90 degrees or even 45 the shape tween wouldn't curve around.  It would go straight to the next point then snap to a curve on the last frame.  When I tried hints the morph broke into several pieces and reformed on the last frame.

Message was edited by: Lot_2_Learn

• 3. Re: How do I improve performance of FLV movies exported from AE?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Flash questions are best answered on the flash forums. Most of the time when I'm doing anything in AE that's destined for flash I'll export a XFL file, open that in flash, then replace the elements that I can that show up in the library with shapes from flash.

The only other thing I ever do in AE for Flash is render a movie that's turned into an FLA file in Media Encoder and used as a reference movie (not embedded) in Flash.

I'd spend a few bucks and go through the flash courses from Total Training or Lynda.com if your primary goal is creating Flash animations.