7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2011 12:35 PM by Rick Gerard

AE alpha layer not recognized in html

SFS.PDX

AE alpha layer not recognized in html.  .MOV rendered in After Effects.  Import same .MOV back in to AE to check transparency = OK.  Embed same .MOV into HTML doc  but no transparency when the webpage is pulled up.  I'm using AE 6.5 pro (no tech support) - Help

• 1. Re: AE alpha layer not recognized in html
          bogiesan Level 4

HTML is not hte issue, it's the player you're using. HTML construction implies you're trying to build Web pages and that's not a funciton of AFter Effects.

A movie is a movie. How the movie file is parsed depends on the player's ability to see the alpha flag and to play it back as transparency. Also, many players do see transparency but it's seen as empty so you see the default background showing through which is usually black.

• 2. Re: AE alpha layer not recognized in html
            SFS.PDX Level 1

The background for the webpage is blue but the .mov file (just animated text) shows a black box around the text. this led me to believe it was being read as a black matt.  I just want to animate some text and have it dispayed with fidelity on the web with a transparent background.  I understand After Effects' general function isn't for the web, but it's the best way (that I know of) to animate text.

• 3. Re: AE alpha layer not recognized in html
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Web based player for mov and avi don't support alpha channels. You'll have to use flash.

• 4. Re: AE alpha layer not recognized in html
                SFS.PDX Level 1

thank you -

However, i-devices don't support flash.  Is there a file type that encodes alpha chanel and is viewable by an ipad?

• 5. Re: AE alpha layer not recognized in html
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

No.  It's an iPad.  iPads don't do flash.  Be sure to thank Steve Jobs in your prayers.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: AE alpha layer not recognized in html
                    bogiesan Level 4

Dave LaRonde wrote:

No.  It's an iPad.  iPads don't do flash.  Be sure to thank Steve Jobs in your prayers.

ah, Dave, you hopeless curmudgeon. This means you do not have an iPad. Clearly. If you did, you'd know producing content for the iOS is the Current Big Thing, it's where the money is!

To SFS, developing all manner of media for the iPad can be researched fairly easily. Start with the iOS, iPad and iOS developers' section of the discussion forums at apple.com. Can't be too difficult!

• 7. Re: AE alpha layer not recognized in html
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have written 2 apps for IOS and I can tell you from experience that the way xcode handles video player is extraordinarily clunky, and transparency isn't supported for standard playback. You can create objects and animate them and have them move over a background, but trying to get a .mov file to playback in anything but the video player way beyond the standard SDK.

It would really help if we knew what the project requires. If it's a standard video walk on for a web page I'm not sure that it can be done. It was crazy difficult just to get a hot spot overlay on a video player. HTML 5 is still going through growing pains. IOS isn't HTML, and xcode for IOS isn't xcode for OSX.