11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2011 9:31 AM by Laubender

Problem with Tables

Imworkinghere Level 1

InDesign CS5.5

Opening a blank document.

Creating 3 Paragraph styles: "Table Header" (bold font), "Table Footer" (italic font), "Table Body" (normal font).

Creating 3 Cell styles: "Header" (black fill), "Footer" (gray fill), "Body" (white fill).

Assigning Paragraph styles to the respective Cell styles.

Assigning Cell styles to a Table style called "[Basic Table]".

Creating a text frame.

Inserting a table: 4 rows, 2 collumns, 1 header, 1 footer. Table style: "[Basic Table]"

Result:

Header row/cells, Footer row/cells, and Body rows/cells all have proper color fills, but the cell styles for all of them is shown as "none", except the Footer row, which for some reason has "none+" style. Inspite of cell styles not being properly assigned automatically, the paragraph styles for Header and Body rows are automatically set correctly. But the footer row/cells is having the "Table Body" paragraph style assigned to it. Even manually assigning the "Table Footer" cell style to the footer row/cell does not pick up the paragraph style corresponding to that cell style.

If I choose "[No Table Style]" when creating a new table, and then assign the "[Basic Table]" style to it, all the rows/cells pick up proper paragraph style, but the cell styles are still set to "none".

Where does this magic come from? Will Adobe ever put their isht together and start making software that actually works for the amount of money it costs? Or are we forced to pay ridiculous prices for using beta software for the rest of our lives?

--

Mac OS X 10.7.2

• 1. Re: Problem with Tables
          MW Design Level 4

Hello Working,

I probably did something incorrect as regards your recipe for the failure you are experiencing. But I thought I followed it OK.

But then, I'm pretty new to ID and likely am not following something.

Untitled-2.jpg

Take care, Mike

• 2. Re: Problem with Tables
            Imworkinghere Level 1

Are you on Windows or Mac?

Judging by the cursor, you are on Windows. So, probably, this is a bug of the Mac version.

• 3. Re: Problem with Tables
              MW Design Level 4

Yes, Windows. It would be good if a Mac person would try the recipe.

Take care, Mike

• 4. Re: Problem with Tables
                Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Imworkinghere:
                I confirm that bug for Mac. I'm on OS X 10.6.8, InDesign CS5.5 (7.5.2).
                This is not new. All the same with InDesign CS3, CS4, CS5 (all German versions updated to the latest bug fixes).

In my case all the body cell styles also show: [None]+

Did not know that InDesign on Windows is not affected. But I think this is not the case with Mike's table. See that "[None]" cell style at the bottom of his Cell Styles panel screenshot. This indicates the definition of the cell style defined in the applied table style (Regional cell style defined in the table style). And this is obviously  set to "[None]". So Mike did not apply the cell styles in the table style.

Uwe

• 5. Re: Problem with Tables

@Imworkinghere:

A little OT: one can question to change "[Basic Table]" style at all. There will arise problems if you copy your table to another document. So best would always be using a new table style.

Uwe

• 6. Re: Problem with Tables
                    MW Design Level 4

Well, I did warn I am pretty new to ID...

The link is to an mp4 video that is about 5 megs in size.

You don't need to watch it though. Have your table definition all set up. Then insert a new table but base it on [No Table Style]. Highlight the table and click on your defined table style. All should be good.

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/id/id_table_style.mp4

In a couple days I'll be deleting the screen recording...

Take care, Mike

• 7. Re: Problem with Tables
                      Imworkinghere Level 1

It doesn't matter which table style, default or new -- the problem still manifests itself.

• 8. Re: Problem with Tables
                        Imworkinghere Level 1

Have your table definition all set up. Then insert a new table but base it on [No Table Style]. Highlight the table and click on your defined table style. All should be good.

That's what I already said in my initial post.

• 9. Re: Problem with Tables

True.
                          I did only question changing "[Basic Table]" style and declared this slightly off topic (what it is).
                          To get a bullet-proof table style one should never base it on "[Basic Table]". Of course, the problems with applied cell styles through table styles will persist.

There is a script by Martin Fischer that will address these problems. But we (Martin and me) will have to iron out some problems with it before publishing. It will not be ready this year . And I cannot tell if it will be available in public.

Uwe

• 10. Re: Problem with Tables
                            Jeremy bowmangraphics Level 2

Imworkinghere wrote:

If I choose "[No Table Style]" when creating a new table, and then assign the "[Basic Table]" style to it, all the rows/cells pick up proper paragraph style, but the cell styles are still set to "none".

Aren't they set to "none" for the same reason as the Character Style Panel says "none" when the formatting of a character style is applied because it is specified as a nested style by a paragraph style? The formatting of the lower-level style is applied because the higher-level style is referenceing or "grabbing" it, but not the lower-level style itself. Such lower-level styles can be superimposed by explicitly applying them in the relevant style panel.

The interplay of styles and formatting involved with tables+cells+paragraphs are even trickier than the two levels of paragraphs and characters, because there is an even more complicated, multi-level "cascade" involved. A cell style's formatting (but not the style itself) is applied by the higher-level entity's style, and that formatting sets the lower-level entity's style itself. I would argue that that alternating pattern is logical, but maybe I'll attempt it some other day! The difficulty is compounded by various other factors, such as a paragraph style's "next style" automatically setting the following paragraph's style when a table is created.

The complexity of whole business makes me reluctant to call it a "bug", it's so easy to get lost here!

• 11. Re: Problem with Tables

Jeremy wrote:

The complexity of whole business makes me reluctant to call it a "bug", it's so easy to get lost here!

Ok. Let's say its not working as we like it . Or as it is "advertised" by (cough) the misleading phrase "applied style"…

Uwe