10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2011 12:11 PM by Tai Lao

CS3 RAW converter

Natalie Edy

Hi there. Please can someone assist me. I had CS3 and RAW 4.6 loaded onto my computer. I have now got a new computer and have manged to install the CS3 but the RAW converter will not load and I keep getting an error message saying that my request cannot be completed as it is the wrong document. At present I am therefore unable to open my CR2 files (I use the Canon 450D camera).

Please can someone advise as to how I can open my RAW files with which RAW converter.

Thanks Natalie

• 1. Re: CS3 RAW converter
          Level 4

Hi Natalie,

With CS3 you have to use ACR 4.6.  Your version of Photoshop cannot run any later version of the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in.

Your Canon EOS 450D camera model has been supported since version 4.4 of ACR, so you now need to update your Adobe Camera Raw plug-in to version 4.6 once again.  I doubt the Adobe automatic updater will work for that older version of ACR, so you need to look for the 4.6 plug-in on the Adobe site, download it and install it manually.  Follow the instructions to the letter.  There is only one correct location for the installation of the ACR plug-in. 

Again, you want the ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) plug-in, not the Adobe DNG Converter.

You don't specify whether you're on Macintosh or Windows.  If you are on a Mac, please note that the path begins with the name of your hard disk and the location is in your ROOT LEVEL Library, not your user Library:

Path_to_ACR_in_CS3.jpg

If you're on Windows someone else will have to jump in. 

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 2. Re: CS3 RAW converter
            Natalie Edy Level 1

Hi Tai

Thank you very much for your e-mail. I have just been onto Adobe and did as you said. But it still keeps coming up with it being invalid.

I have a Windows computer so am also not sure where to save the document.

Thanks again

• 3. Re: CS3 RAW converter
              athegn Level 2

I have Photoshop Elements 6 on my Vista setup. In this I go to Help menu then About Plugin then Camera RAW. A splash apears which tells me I have Version 5.6 of ACR installed.

Does CS3 have this function, on the Help menu, and if so what ACR version is it showing?

You could read this TechNote that fully explains what to do if ACR will not work:-

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407110.html

• 4. Re: CS3 RAW converter
                Level 4

Natalie Edy wrote:

…Thank you very much for your e-mail…

You're welcome, Natalie, but I have to clarify that I did not send you an email.  I used the forum's web interface to reply to your post with my web browser, as the forum was designed to be accessed.

There are at least two distinct disadvantages to using email to access the forum:

1.— You will never see any edits others make to their posts, as edits are never broadcast; and

2.— If you try to attach an image to an email, it will simply disappear into cyberspace and no one will ever see it.

Glad to see another Windows user has jumped in. 

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 5. Re: CS3 RAW converter
                  athegn Level 2

Tai Lao

Did you mean to send this to me?

Alan Farthing

• 6. Re: CS3 RAW converter
                    Level 4

athegn wrote:

Tai Lao

Did you mean to send this to me?

Alan Farthing

Alan,

You are confused too.    I did NOT send this to you.  Neither am I sending you this response. 

You must have subscribed to the thread or to the whole forum, so the forum will now send you an email every darn time anyone replies or posts, until you yourself stop the email notifications you have subscribed too. 

Read my post again:

I used the forum's web interface to reply to Natalie's post with my web browser, as the forum was designed to be accessed.

…but I have to clarify that I did not send you an email.  I used the forum's web interface to reply to your post with my web browser, as the forum was designed to be accessed.

There are at least two distinct disadvantages to using email to access the forum:

1.— You will never see any edits others make to their posts, as edits are never broadcast; and

2.— If you try to attach an image to an email, it will simply disappear into cyberspace and no one will ever see it.

I never use emails to access the forums or to reply to posts, EVER!  These forums are designed to be accessed primarily through their public, open web interface.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 7. Re: CS3 RAW converter
                      Level 4

Private email responses would defeat the purpose of the forum, which is for everybody to benefit from all questions and answers, not just the original poster.

Additionally, we are all users just like you, just trying to help each other out.  You are not addressing Adobe here.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 8. Re: CS3 RAW converter
                        ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I almost always use E-mails to read and post to this or any forum.  This is so I have a record of what everyone has said, including myself, that I can search anytime without being connected to the internet or for years to come even after the forum and perhaps Adobe have ceased to exist. 

It annoys me to no end that the feedback forum cannot be accessed by e-mail, because I have no record of what I’ve said in context that is easily searched for.

• 9. Re: CS3 RAW converter
                          Level 4

Allow me to show you, ssprengel:

You will never read in your emails the edits I'm about to make to this post, so you will have no private record of anything I say after my signature, but the web interface of this forum will be available for you to search at will.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

…and here comes the EDIT:  now you won't know whether this is to comment on your exemplary willingness to help in these forums, or to criticize your unkempt front lawn. 

• 10. Re: CS3 RAW converter
                            Level 4

You should also know that you can Google the forum messages, even after Adobe ceases to exist, simply by adding site:forums.adobe.com to your Google keywords.