2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2011 7:43 AM by nefl777

Automatically Ripple Delete?

Lewis Lovhaug

Hello!  For Christmas this year, I not only got a shiny new, ultra-fast computer for video editing (my job), I got Premiere Pro!

Up until now I've been using Elements 7 and needless to say I'm enjoying Pro so far.  However, there are a few things that I'm having issue with and wanted to know if there was anything I could do about it.

Admittedly, they're tiny questions and I can work aorund them, but I figured I might as well ask and the first one is the one that's in the title.

In Elements 7, when you deleted a clip from the timeline, the rest of the clips afterwards would automatically ripple delete back.  Like I said, it's a minor thing, but is there a way to automatically have it ripple delete like in Elements or do I have to manually choose to have it ripple delete every time?

Also, to save on topic space, the other two questions (though, again, easy to work around and one may ont be Pro's fault).

-The first is a matter of mouse scrolling.  I've gotten used to using the mouse wheel to horizonally scroll across the timeline.  While it seems Pro is doing so, it seems to be having trouble with it.  Sometimes it won't react to the mouse wheel or it will barely scroll at all.  Admittedly, this may be a problem with the mouse and not Pro, but I've noticed that in the help files, the wheel won't scroll it at all.

-The other is splitting clips.  In Elements, there was a button for splitting clips, but there doesn't seem to be a button for it here, instead preferring to use the slicing tool.  Now I can still split the clip by using ctrl-k, but I'd like to know if there's a button available for it that I can put on the screen.

• 1. Re: Automatically Ripple Delete?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Premiere Pro is a professional level editor.  Very little is done automatically, because that's the way professionals want it.  Control is needed, so most editing operations are manually initiated.

There is no screen button for cutting a clip.  Instead there is a Razor tool, which allows you to click on the cut point.

Not sure about the mouse.  Maybe try a different model, just to see if it behaves any differently.

And definitely give the Help file a thorough read.  Start at the beginning and go in sequence.  Try each new thing as you learn it.  Look up any words you don't fully understand.  Doing this will go a looooooong way towards resolving these kinds of basic questions.

• 2. Re: Automatically Ripple Delete?
            nefl777 Level 1

My advice to new users; google for your problem.  You will be stunned to find so many answers are online !  The video tutorials available are incredible.

I believe there might be help specifically for folks going from Elements to Pro.  give it a try and be patient.

N