3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2011 9:34 AM by Garethi

Problem with bullets and numbering

Garethi Level 1

Hi All.

I am trying to format a contractul agreement, the text of which has come from word.

Contracts being what they are, there is many levels I need to bullet and number for instance:

1. Agreement

We will:

i Clean the floor

a. With a mop

b. With a Bucket

c. Properly

ii Clean the walls

a. with a cloth

b with cleanser

etc etc

So I am trying to define this lot with the paragraphs, bullets and numbering style options.

I have the i/ii/iii sorted out nicely. however when I want to put the A/B/C as a continuation from this it starts at say C or D depending how many numerals were above it. If in the mode I tell it start from 1, it marks each paragraph A, as opposed to A/B/C etc.

I am sure its something simple I have missed, could someone point me in the right direction?

• 1. Re: Problem with bullets and numbering
          Green4ever Level 3

In the bullets and numbering options enable the option "Restart Numbers at This Level After:". And Check it. (not applicable for level 1)

----

Green4ever

• 2. Re: Problem with bullets and numbering
            peter minneapolis Level 4

Garethi wrote:

Hi All.

I am trying to format a contractul agreement, the text of which has come from word.

Contracts being what they are, there is many levels I need to bullet and number for instance:

1. Agreement

We will:

i Clean the floor

a. With a mop

b. With a Bucket

c. Properly

ii Clean the walls

a. with a cloth

b with cleanser

etc etc

So I am trying to define this lot with the paragraphs, bullets and numbering style options.

I have the i/ii/iii sorted out nicely. however when I want to put the A/B/C as a continuation from this it starts at say C or D depending how many numerals were above it. If in the mode I tell it start from 1, it marks each paragraph A, as opposed to A/B/C etc.

I am sure its something simple I have missed, could someone point me in the right direction?

Search Google for terms like "indesign multi level lists tutorial," without quotes for details on working with the complexities of multi-level lists. It takes some practice to become comfortable with how they work, but the time and effort you invest repays big dividends. One important key is always working with numbered-list paragraph styles. Avoid using manual overrides to bash a numbered-level item into obedience - this will almost always create havoc sooner or later, especialy when making changes when deadines loom.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 3. Re: Problem with bullets and numbering
              Garethi Level 1

Thanks guys will give it a look