10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2011 4:42 PM by shooternz

sequence settings

crandolph1234

I am still trying to wrap my head around sequence settings.  I am migrating from FCP and I need to understand how the sequence settings affect final output.  I have installed the AJA settings and use them frequently, because I use an external monitor for clients.  Lets just assume I want to edit 1920x1080. Of course I want the best quality so I choose uncompressed. But what if I want to work compressed? In FCP I could choose my compression settings and understood that I was transcoding all footage to the compression setting I chose in sequence settings. For example: Footage is all over the map but I choose 1920x1080 ProRes22 and I understand that the final sequence will be playing back in that codec. And, file exporting will be based off of those settings as well.  I could also choose to work uncompressed or use an apple animation codec or whatever.  Once you picked a format it would do all rendering using that codec.

In Premier I am disappointed at the limited choices when working in compressed formats. The only choice is MPEG I-Frame for renders/previews? and what about clips that don't need to be rendered are they uncompressed?  what about exporting a file, does it also use the I-Frame compression?  I don't understand how it is handling all the clips under the hood.  Can anyone help me understand these settings? 

Chris Randolph

• 1. Re: sequence settings
          shooternz Level 6

The joy of Premiere is that you can edit your footage natively.

ie. no need to transcode. (unlike FCP)

It is normal practice to work/edit  with your original source footage ( you cant get better quality than that no matter what it is).

Exporting is the time you make your decisions as to what you encode as.   The edit sequence settings and preview files  make no difference to the export  because AME uses the source footage .  ie native footage.

• 2. Re: sequence settings
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Switching to Premiere Pro often requires more than just learning some new terms and keyboard shortcuts, it often requires a new mindset on how to edit in general.  FCP had some limitations that forced users into a certain mode of thinking.  PP doesn't have those same limitations, so that mode of thinking is often no longer relevant.

In general:

1. Use the original footage.  Don't transcode anything.

2. Your sequence settings should match your footage.

3. Previews are only necessary if real time playback is required during editing.

4. The preview codec is largely irrelevant, as it's only used within the program.  You normally won't use those previews for export.

5. The export format will be dictated by the needs of your final delivery.  The quality will be determined by the settings chosen.

• 3. Re: sequence settings
              crandolph1234 Level 1

Thanks shooternz and Jim. I am starting to get it a bit now. The "preview" setting was throwing me.  If I apply effects and resize a clip in the timeline the preview (render) will not affect the final quality of the export? That quality will be determined by the media encoder settings? so if I resize a clip, color correct it and then add some text on the timeline the final render is determined by media encoder?  if so, thats cool!  What if you wanted to print to tape (no laughing), I would assume the preview setting WILL make a difference?  This reminds me a bit of After Efffects.  Using Dynamic Link works the sameway?

One last thing. With your previous responses the only difference between AJA compressed and uncompressed is bit depth. Compressed using 8bit and uncompressed using 10bit. The other difference would be the preview settings. Does that seem correct?

Thanks for all the help

Chris

• 4. Re: sequence settings
                Jim Curtis Level 3

Some of the info you've gotten here conflicts with my understanding.  It may be me who's wrong, but here's what I've gathered:

The Preview setting is the codec you render to when you render your timeline.  Rendered Previews allow you to play your complex sequences with effects in real-time.

It also is relevant when doing exporting.   If you select "Use Previews" in the Export window (or AME), it can greatly speed up your export time, as it's using the already rendered previews instead of rendering everything (again) on export.

I generally master to ProRes422, so I set most of my Sequence Settings Previews to ProRes422.  And so, when I export, and I've rendered my timeline, the exports go very fast.

• 5. Re: sequence settings
                  lasvideo Level 4

Here is a link to an extended discussion I had with Adobe programmers and other users about the role of Preview files. Bottom line at this point is that they function very differently in Premiere then they do in FCP, in a less then desireable way.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3945436#3945436

• 6. Re: sequence settings
                    shooternz Level 6

Rendering the timeline is only rendering a preview for edit purposes and is different to export encoding fully from AME

If you use the previews when you render from AME ...you get the Preview codecs instead of the Source footage codecs.

Thats o.k if thats all you want.

• 7. Re: sequence settings
                      lasvideo Level 4

The kicker was for me, unlike FCP, using previews didnt speed up the export process, since, according to Adobe ...

"The 'Use preview files' option in PPro is exactly that - if there's a preview file, it decodes the frame out of it, & re-encodes it into the final file.  So while it'll help in (non-CUDA) effects heavy compositions, it also incurs a generation loss.  Generally, we don't recommend using it (hence the default to off) unless you really are sure that's what you want.

• 8. Re: sequence settings
                        shooternz Level 6

The kicker was for me, unlike FCP, using previews didnt speed up the export process, since, according to Adobe ...

The time you may have saved in FCP was lost along with the additional hard drive space when and because you had to transcode all your source footage.  You could even call that a generational loss before you even started editing.

The note from Adobe regarding the use of render files in a final output is a simple advisory not to do so unless you want to. 

FCP creates preview render files as well because it does not have the time saving advantage of MPE ...although I do not know how it utilises them for export and encodes.

• 9. Re: sequence settings
                          lasvideo Level 4

Shooternz - "FCP creates preview render files as well because it does not have the time saving advantage of MPE ...although I do not know how it utilises them for export and encodes.".

How FCP uses its previews was included in the same discussion with Adobe about the differences in workflow and why Premiere takes so long to export long form and graphic intensive projects ...

"What you're looking for is what we commonly refer to as smart rendering, and it doesn't exist in PPro.  That's a Final Cut 'ism, where it splices rendered data from the preview QT files into the final render.  Keep in mind that's a QuickTime centric feature, & doesn't translate automatically to all file formats."

• 10. Re: sequence settings
                            shooternz Level 6

I now understand what I didnt know about FCP before .