6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2011 8:11 PM by markerline

possible to play a single embedded audio clip over multiple pages?

rayelz15

hi

i'm wondering if it's possible to have a single audio clip play over more than one page in an interactive pdf generated in indesign cs5.5?  in the media preview it seems to work but when i export to pdf the audio stops playing when i move to the next page, even when the "stop on page flip" is NOT checked in the media object options box.

what i want is the oppositite of an object with multiple states; looking for a single media object with multiple pages.  thoughts?  i'm publishing song lyrics, need to have the audio playing through the whole text of the piece when it runs to the next page.

thanks

• 1. Re: possible to play a single embedded audio clip over multiple pages?
          markerline Level 4

In the other forum I stated:

It can be done by choosing the right option but it has been my experience that the continuous playback only works in Adobe Acrobat and not in any version of Adobe Reader across different devices including computers.

Your best bet would be to publish an interactive Flash file and if you need that to be on an iOS device get someone with an iOS developer license to convert the published Flash file into an iOS app.  You might even be able to convert the Flash file into an epub like a digital magazine but I am inexperienced with this aspect of InDesign.  There are good tutorials that I've seen briefly on creating epub digital magazines from InDesign though so do some research on it and report back. 

Have you explored any of this thus far?  I hope you get some good results.

• 2. Re: possible to play a single embedded audio clip over multiple pages?
            rayelz15 Level 1

hi thanks for your feedback.  an swf file doesn't help me, however, as I need a pdf.  i am in fact working on a digital magazine but the epublishing site i'm using requires a pdf version; it doesn't support flash. i'm checking out epub through indesign but i'm on a schedule for this project and need a quick fix. don't know if it's possible.

• 3. Re: possible to play a single embedded audio clip over multiple pages?
              markerline Level 4

Do you need this to work on an iPad, iPhone, HP TouchPad, or Android Tablet?  Or is it just for desktops and laptops equipped with either Adobe Acrobat or the desktop version of Adobe Reader?

If it's the latter then all you have to do is:

1) create a Button with a shape object

2) choose the Buttons palette

3) assign an action to the Button with the Buttons palette.

4) make sure the action is "Sound"/"Play" and make sure it is "On Focus(PDF)"

5) make sure you choose the proper sound in the drop down menu of the action.  To be safe, put the mp3 in the same location as the InDesign document

6) Save or Export to Adobe PDF (INTERACTIVE).

7) You can repeat the steps for a "Pause-sound" button using the "On Focus(PDF)" action.

Try it and let me know your results.

• 4. Re: possible to play a single embedded audio clip over multiple pages?
                rayelz15 Level 1

thank you yea i tried that and it works great... one one page.  As soon as i scroll to the next page, the sound stops.  I need one media object to play over at least three pages and then to respond to pause/resume buttons built on all three pages.  see what i mean?

• 5. Re: possible to play a single embedded audio clip over multiple pages?
                  markerline Level 4

The technique I described above is not 100%.  I should have included the fact that you have to use the MEDIA Panel and make sure that the checkmark is NOT next to "Stop on Page Turn".  You can also apply the Loop as a checkmark in case time runs out before people finish reading your content.

Now, overall my technique works in Acrobat.  I haven't troubleshooted in Adobe Reader on all computers, just one Windows Slate and it works just fine.  I navigate away from the page and the music is still playing.  That is because I used "On Focus (PDF)".  If I had simply chosen "On Click" or one of the top 4 actions it wouldn't work right.  You have to choose an option with the parentheses statement "(PDF)".

Does it work so far for you in Acrobat?  Try it again with the Media Panel options set properly.

• 6. Re: possible to play a single embedded audio clip over multiple pages?
                    markerline Level 4

One thing you might want to consider is the following.

Since you are placing your buttons on the master pages whenever you navigate to one of the internal pages the audio playback replicates itself.  So if you initiate playback on page 1 and then on page 3 again the sounds overlap and you have to be on the correct page to pause the playback of the correct audio "session".

So you might take advantage of the audio playing until it stops on Page Turn and then have the user start the audio over again with a new button instance.  That way the user won't accidentally "echo" or double up the sound playback.