• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you create a "flat" PDF file in Acrobat X for Mac?

Dec 30, 2011 Dec 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Adobe Acrobat X on a Mac.

I have made some edits to a PDF by adding text  and lines.  I want to save the file as a flat file so that no one can delete/edit my edits.  In Windows, you can just print the PDF to PDF.  When I try to do this on a Mac, it says "Saving a PDF file when printing is not supported. Instead, choose File > Save."

When I just choose File > Save, it just saves the PDF in the same format that allows those edits to be changed.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Tool menu > Print Production look for Flatner  Preview, see if you can flatten from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out this nifty JavaScript-based utility that allows you to flatten pages, converting annotations to regular page contents: http://www.uvsar.com/projects/acrobat/flattener/

You can also flatten annotations with PDF Optimizer and Preflight, or the following JavaScript executed in the interactive JavaScript console:

// Flatten all pages in the document

flattenPages();

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 14, 2013 Jun 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a great utility---thanks for sharing it!  The Javascripts folder can be hard to find--here's what worked for me:

For Macbook Pro users using Acrobat Pro X with OS X version 10 or greater,  you’ll want to copy the unzipped “UVSAR_selectiveFlatten.js”  file into the JavaScripts folder located in this path:

/Applications/Adobe Acrobat X Pro/Adobe Acrobat Pro.app/Contents/Resources/JavaScripts

*** IMPORTANT:  To be able to see the Contents folder, you must Right-Click (Ctrl-Click if you don't have a right button) on the filename "Adobe Acrobat Pro.app", then select Show Package Contents from the pop-down menu.  The Contents folder will appear in a new window and you can navigate to  Contents/Resources/JavaScripts, and put the “UVSAR_selectiveFlatten.js” into the JavaScripts folder.

Once you've done that, restart Acrobat Pro and you'll find the "Flatten" option in your Edit menu.  VERY handy!  Tip:  might want to save your original PDF file as a different version just to be safe---once you flatten the PDF, it can't be undone, so either just print and don't save, or save as different version if need be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines