4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2011 5:07 PM by RjL190365

What to add / switch to make encoding faster?

Videad

I'm looking to add or swap something in my system to improve encode time as much as possible. Currently it's taking 2-3 hours to encode 5 minutes of video.

The video is AVCHD encoding to H.264 and it's put through After Effects first with a Keylight effect to remove green screen. Then imported into Premiere and published there.

What's the best hardware improvement I can make to speed up encode time? RAM?

Here's what I have currently:

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R ATX LGA1366 X58 DDR3 4PCI-E SATA3 USB3.0 Sound GLAN CrossFireX SLI Motherboard

Corsair XMS3 TR3X6G1333C7 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1333 CL 7-7-7-20 1T Core i7 Memory Kit

Intel Core i7 930 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.8GHZ 8MB L3 Cache 130W 45NM Retail Box

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM

I also recently removed this SSD drive as it seemed to be causing it to crash.

Corsair Storage Solutions Reactor Series 60GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD

Also, had this.

NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 by PNY 768MB PCI-E16 DVI Dual DisplayPort Workstation Video Card

but just switched to GTX 570  - Was this worth it?

Any advice on what I can add to help pick up encode time and what kind of improvement I can expect would be much appreciated. RAM?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: What to add / switch to make encoding faster?
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Memory, memory, memory!  24 GB will help.  Are you changing the frame size?  Do you only have a single drive?  What version of Premiere?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What to add / switch to make encoding faster?
            RjL190365 Level 4

Good thing that you switched out that old, slow Quadro FX 1800 (which IMHO was based on an underclocked GeForce 9600 GT) for the GTX 570. However, you still have two big problems:

1) Not enough disks. You have only one hard disk (from your list; however, you actually have two hard drives, which is the absolute minimum required of Adobe to run Premiere Pro to anyone's satisfaction) - and the SATA interface itself is only half-duplex (meaning that it cannot handle data in both directions simultaneously, but rather it only allows data to travel in one direction at a time). Get at least two more (preferably identical) hard disks for that system.

2) 6GB of RAM is not quite enough for CS5.5. Since RAM is relatively cheap nowadays, go with 24GB of RAM (6 x 4GB sticks). However, in order to use more than 16GB of RAM, you should upgrade to Windows 7 Professional if you are currently running Home Premium.

In addition, I recommend an overclock on that i7-930. But to overclock above 3.4-ish GHz, you should get yourself an aftermarket CPU cooler, such as a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, that's compatible with LGA 1366 CPUs.

• 3. Re: What to add / switch to make encoding faster?
              Videad Level 1

Thank you!

Frame size is generally staying the same all though I sometimes do publish at lower frame sizes.

Two drives (now that the SSD is gone)

Premiere CS5.5

• 4. Re: What to add / switch to make encoding faster?
                RjL190365 Level 4

Well, consider adding one or two more hard drives.