20 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2012 3:29 PM by RFMclaughlin3

Newbie New Build - i7 3960x

RFMclaughlin3 Level 1

After tons of reading (much thanks to Harm M. and many others), I still vascilate from gung ho to paralysis.  I would greatly appreciate help in this process.

My objective is to build a respectable system for editing HD Video (mostly AVCHD).  Here is what I am considering:

1ASUS P9X79 WS LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 SSI CEB Intel Motherboard with USB BIOS
      ASUS P9X79 WS LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 SSI CEB Intel Motherboard with USB BIOS
      $399.99-$20.00 Instant$379.99
      1G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-19200CL11Q-16GBZHD
      G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-19200CL11Q-16GBZHD
      $299.99
      $299.99
      1Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.3GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73960X
      Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.3GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73960X
      $1,049.99
      $1,049.99
      1ASUS ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5 GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
      ASUS ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5 GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video ...
      $499.99
      $499.99
      1CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
      CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
      $119.99
      $119.99
      1CORSAIR Professional Series HX1050 1050W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Power Supply
      CORSAIR Professional Series HX1050 1050W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Power ..
      $229.99-$10.00 Instant$219.99
      1ASUS Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS
      ASUS Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS
      $99.99-$10.00 Instant$89.99
      1Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
      Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
      $139.99
      $139.99

4Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
      Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
      64MB Cache
      $129.99-$5.00 Instant$124.99

Am I crazy to go with the i7 3960x?  Is it overkill?  I don't see the i7 3930 available nor the i7 2700k.  If I went to the i7 2600k, would it be 5%, 20% 40% less of a machine than what I propose?  Would love an estimate to help with the cost benefit analysis?

I am very unclear what to do with my storage.  Harm says go with 1HDD (1x1TB) for OS/Programs, 2HDD (2x1T) in Raid 0 for editing, and then 1HDD (1x1T or 1x2T) for other.  I have a 2T NAS for backup.  Does the Raid0 significantly improve performance.  Is it easy to make the Raid0? 

Do I need the 1050W power?  Do I need the H100 cooler?

Can the BluRay Burner also burn DVD?  If not is there such a thing?

Assume that Windows 7 Pro is best? 

All help/comments appreciated...

• 1. Re: Newbie New Build - i7 3960x
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          1. Unless you are thinking of extreme overclocking or are operating in non-airconditioned tropics I see no need for a liquid CPU cooler.
          2. Generally a full tower case is a better investment.  Better for future expansion and good air flow.
          3. At this point in time I would not buy the ST31000524AS drives, they are very good and I have alot of them, look at the newer generation which have 1 TB per platter and you will get much faster transfer rates.
          4. Do not know anyone using ASUS Blu-ray burners, but simply looking at the specs--it does DVD's.
          5. If I were to buy memory for this system myself I would go with slightly less speed and more density and twice the capacity with 4 x 8 GB like this for only $25 more.
          6. Get a power supply calculator.
          7. I would imagine that the i7-3930K will be in stock within a few days
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Newbie New Build - i7 3960x
            RFMclaughlin3 Level 1

Thanks for your help.

1. Not OC'ing, live in SF Area.

2. Isnt that case a full tower - any other suggestions?

3. I'll look at the suggested 1T per platter drives.  I've read many Harm M post where he advocates breaking up the storage into preferably 5 drives. with 2 separate 1T Raid0 - does that provide substantial benefit over simply having say 3 separate 1T drives of your description.  If I go with a single Raid0 of 2x1T - what does it take to implement?  Overall - what is youstorage strategy?

4.  Any recommendation or specs to look for in BlueRay/DVD burner?

5. I like yout memory idea.

6.  Will do.

7.  Given that the 3930 is roughly 1/2 of the 3960 - which do you prefer?  And relative to that answer - how does that compare to the 2700k (which appears unavailable) or the 2600k?  In other words, there are great savings at the 2600k llevel - is the added expense of the latest/greatest 3960x justified?

Thanks so much for your help.

Richard

• 3. Re: Newbie New Build - i7 3960x
              Harm Millaard Level 7

To add to Bill's reply,

2. Cooler Master HAF 932 is a popular choice for a full tower. My personal favorite is the Lian Li PC-A77, but it is far more expensive.

3. With a raid0 you almost double the speed over a single disk.

6. Look at eXtreme Power Supply Calculator v2.5 and get the Pro version. Enter all your components, including planned ones, set CPU load to 100% and capacitor aging to 30%, then add 10-15% to the calculated wattage for safety and carefully check the required amperage on each rail. Not all PSU's deliver the required amperage on all rails. Select a gold label model, not a silver label.

7. The 3930K has a better BFTB. If I were to build a new system now, I would opt for the 3930K. The 2600K would be too limiting in comparison to my current system and effectively be a downgrade.

• 4. Re: Newbie New Build - i7 3960x
                JEShort01 Level 4

RF,

Agree totally with both Bill and Harms's comments so far and would add:

- HAF 932 is excellent, but Corsair's 600T is pretty good too if you cannot stand the "gamers look"; I only say pretty good because it uses fans that do not have a common "bolt pattern" (where the holes are which dictate which replacement fans you can choose)

- Definitely wait for the 3930K

- From what I've been seeing lately, you would likely be much better served by going with slower, less expensive RAM but populating all 8 slots for a total of 32GB

Jim

• 5. Re: Newbie New Build - i7 3960x
                  Studio North Films Level 3

Hi,

Lian-Li PC-P80N is a very good Tower,  Also the gtx 580 you have choosen is taken up 3 slots, I would go for a standard 2 slot and the 3gb version.

Good Luck

Baz

• 6. Re: Newbie New Build - i7 3960x
                    Turgut Unal Level 1

Please also  Check if Marvell® PCIe 9128 controller : (2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), navy blue) works well.

• 7. Re: Newbie New Build - i7 3960x
                      Crist OC/PC Level 2

This is a present for you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx2z07sFM2I&feature=relmfu

100%safe, apruve by ASUS.

Whit that tutorial and the corsair h100 your board will rise 4.7 ghz SUPER STABLE.

Change the 3960 for a 3930

Ram-> 64gib. Corsair is saling then now more cheep.

Use some money for a RAM CACHE - RAM DISK program and get ready to fly.

• 8. Re: Newbie New Build - i7 3960x

Could you give more info on the Ram Cache - Ram disk,

Baz

• 9. Re: Newbie New Build - i7 3960x
                          Crist OC/PC Level 2

Hi Baz, the software Im using is SuperSpeed. for Ram Cache and Randisk.

For ramdisk as you probably know you most have a big amount of Ram Installed, but as big is your RanDisk as slow windows bot become.

I guess this can be solve with windows 7 64bit home, however whit the speed gaind I dont care that much how slow is the bot of windows....

RAM CACHE.:

IF you make a raid0 let say 5 regular 1TB 7200rmp 64mb cache you will have aprox a Write speed of 450 MB/s With a very hight Acces time which delay your speed. Ram Cache will make your Read and Write Speed aprox 100 times faster If is well installed is not you will impruve most only in the read speed.

I let you pic whit a simple comparition of Ram Cache, RamDisk and a Regular Disk.

RAM CACHE, RAMDISK, ORIGINAL WD.jpg

• 10. Re: Newbie New Build - i7 3960x

could you please PM me, need to ask a few questions.

Baz

• 12. Re: Newbie New Build - i7 3960x
                              RFMclaughlin3 Level 1

So I went in the chat room at Newegg and everyone there was uniformly against the build I suggested in this thread, even after making everyones suggested changes - ie 3930k, Gtx 580 and mobo.

Essentially they felt that the 2700k was sufficient, that the 3930k only provided a 20% advantage: that a high end mobo was a waste , nor a high end gpu since the z68 mobo had strong built in graphics and since video editing and rendering was done in the cpu.  They say that  only thing they recommend is large ram.

I am totally confused.  Certainly their plan would save a ton of money, but I dont want to be pound wise and penny foolish.  I would be really disappointed to build this new system and have it not scream.  I would rather spend the extra $1000 and have the best.

Any thoughts before I pull the plug?  Anyone know where or when I can get the 3930?

Thanks again to all.

• 13. Re: Newbie New Build - i7 3960x
                                Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Would the Newegg forum people be mostly gamers?  If so, my understanding is that there are very few games that make use of more than four cores, and 3930K would not make a lot of sense for them.   A 2011 board can have eight DIM sockets - that's up to 32Gb of cheap 4Gb memory sticks. More arguments HERE

• 14. Re: Newbie New Build - i7 3960x
                                  RFMclaughlin3 Level 1

Thank you!  That was a great link.  (Actually your "Here" link was broken, but I found my way).  It is a big investment, so I am maybe a little too accepting of "good" reasons to save money.  This article seems very definitive. Appreciate your help.

What are your thoughts on the gpu?  Also, any idea when we will see 3930k's?

• 15. Re: Newbie New Build - i7 3960x
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Remember the story I told you about the garden hoses? That is the big difference between the two platforms. The people on Newegg are right in the sense that CPU-wise the difference between the 2700 and 3930 is relatively small, but the difference for an editing machine comes from a balanced system that performs great with ALL its components, not only the CPU. It is a delicate balance between CPU, memory, GPU and disks that make a great system. For gamers that is a completely different story, but for NLE systems, all these components need to be in balance to get the best performance, and preferably at an economical price, so you get the best bang-for-the-buck.

This is the exact area where the two platforms differ significantly. The 1155 socket platform has only 4 memory slots, the 2011 socket platform has 8 memory slots. Utterly meaningless for gamers, but for editors it can make a huge difference in the amount of memory available and thus in performance. The 1155 platform has only 16 PCI-e lanes available, the 2011 platform has 40 PCI-e lanes available, so if you want to add a dedicated raid controller, a dedicated hardware card like BM, Matrox and the like or a Maximus configuration with a Tesla card, you are out of luck on the 1155 platform. Only the 2011 platform gives you that option (notice this is meant with the full bandwidth available, not with throttled down connections). Again irrelevant for gamers, since there is no need for more or bigger garden hoses, which is only relevant for NLE editors.

IMHO the i7-2xxx platform is for good performing budget systems, the i7-39xx platform is for the most demanding systems albeit at a premium price.

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 16. Re: Newbie New Build - i7 3960x
                                      RFMclaughlin3 Level 1

Excellent answers - everyone.  THanks very much.  While I was reading I was notified by Newegg that they got the 3930 in - sold out before I could get my order in...oh well patience.

Last question - I think.

Video card - Gtx 580 or 570?

Ram size?

Core Clock?

Shader Clock?

Memory?

I have read (in this stream) that max may not be necessary for non-gaming?

Thanks

• 17. Re: Newbie New Build - i7 3960x
                                        Crist OC/PC Level 2

GTX 560 448 CORES.

64GB RAM

Core Clock?

Shader Clock?

Memory?

If you buy a Asus X79 I will tell you exactly how to rise a 4.7Ghz with a good Water cooling system Like corsair h100.

• 18. Re: Newbie New Build - i7 3960x
                                          RFMclaughlin3 Level 1

My last post was referring to the various distinguishing features of the different GPU options...some have said that I dont necessarily need the most expensive gpu?

SUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

• Chipset Manufacturer: NVIDIA
                                          • Core Clock: 742MHz
                                          • Stream Processors: 480 Processor Cores
                                          • Effective Memory Clock: 3800MHz

ASUS ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5 GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

• Core Clock: 782MHz
                                          • Stream Processors: 512 Processor Cores
                                          • Effective Memory Clock: 4008MHz

EVGA 015-P3-1582-A1 GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) Superclocked Batman Arkham City Edition 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

• Core Clock: 797MHz
                                          • Shader Clock: 1594MHz

GIGABYTE GV-N580UD-3GI GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

• Core Clock: 772MHz
                                          • Shader Clock: 1544MHz
                                          • 19. Re: Newbie New Build - i7 3960x
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

From the four you mentioned, my first options would be the SUS 570 or the EVGA 580. However, the performance difference in practice is so small, that I might give the nod to the 570 for budget reasons. If budget is no obstacle, then the EVGA 580 would be my choice, provided all other components are up to par, meaning a very good dedicated raid controller with the biggest cache memory available, up to 4 GB, a reliable BBM (battery backup module) and a good range of hard disks for one or more large raid arrays.

• 20. Re: Newbie New Build - i7 3960x
                                              RFMclaughlin3 Level 1

Thanks - I guess I wasnt too clear.  I kind of threw these 4 out as examples of the features on the many alternatives, which I dont really understand.  Some have 1.5 GB and some have 3.0 GB, some have 512 cores vs 470, some have Memory clock differences, etc.  I just dont know what the really important factors are for consideration, especially given the range in price.  Further I dont really know how much the video card impacts editing pics or HD video.  I thought I read that GPUs are more important for gamers, in which case I should not pay up.  I would look at a more expensive card if it made a meaningful difference in the performance f what I want to do, especially relative to the less expensive cards withing this tight range...Hope that is a bit more clear.