24 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2012 12:42 PM by bethybags

CS5.5 wants me to locate all my media manually...

bethybags

...and when I do, it freezes up and shuts down right in the middle of retrieving. This is a really important project that I've been working on for months. I had 3 sections done and was working on sections 4 and 5 and now it's all screwed up. I really, really don't want to redo it all. I also did keylighting in After Effects and the actual footage is on my external hard drive still but it also comes up with all the media blank. What the. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: CS5.5 wants me to locate all my media manually...
          shooternz Level 6

Main suggestion is to use local drives and not externals.

A hopefully not too late suggestion is ..I hope you made manual incremental back ups as you went. eg "save as"

Now..what are you doing to re-link to the media?

This should be simple if you had the media organised efficiently.  eg. finding and linking to one file should relink to all in that location.

I would suggest moving everything from externals to a local drive and then "re linking".

If you have a corrupt Project...you may need to use an autosave or your back ups.

• 2. Re: CS5.5 wants me to locate all my media manually...
            bethybags Level 1

Well I have it on my external b/c I don't think my computer can handle all the media (I have 350 HD clips that I'm working with for this project). I kept it on the harddrive so I didn't have to move the media after the project b/c then if I ever needed to edit again it'd be all displaced. I have different copies of the project on my external hard drive but the problem is the program force quits every time I try to open a project. it just shuts down. The thing is, the media never moved - I don't know why it suddenly can't find it b/c the media is in the same exact place.

I don't know why, but my applications all said they weren't on my actual computer anymore so I reloaded them back onto my computer from my external hard drive and now it says that the program location changed do I want to update or not update the location. I click "update" and then it makes me put in my computer password and then begins trying to open the media for the project. If I skip trying to relink the media (one by one it asks "where's xyz file" and I have to find it manually) it'll open the program but all the clips are just blank but the editing is still there (transitions, clip edits, timing, etc). If I begin loading the media (by manually locating it) the program will freeze and have to shut down.

If I try to open a backup copy of the project from my external, the program also freezes up and needs to shut down.

What gives? If the media's in the same place, why do I have to manually find every single clip for it?

I appreciate your quick response, Shooternz. I'm panicked This is for a band and the producer/manager is wanting the videos to release them....telling her I just lost the project wasn't the coolest thing.

Cheers!

• 3. Re: CS5.5 wants me to locate all my media manually...
              shooternz Level 6

Are you saying that Adobe Premierre ( or the Adobe SUite) was once running from the external drive and not a local drive?

Then you re installed it on the local drive?

Does Premiere Open and can you create a NEW project?

BTW - dont panic too much yet as long as you have your original source files  safe...you will be o.k once you get Premiere running again. (Even if it eventually means a new edit). 

BTW- what is a b/c?

• 4. Re: CS5.5 wants me to locate all my media manually...
                bethybags Level 1

No I was never running Premiere Pro from the external; Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 was originally in my applications on my local drive and then suddenly it just said all my applications were gone. So I thought "no big deal, I have them on my external still" so I reloaded them onto the local drive and then this all happened. So I guess that means I reinstalled it?? All I did was drag them from my external onto the local again - no big production or anything.

Yes, I can create a new project.

Sorry - "b/c" means because

• 5. Re: CS5.5 wants me to locate all my media manually...
                  shooternz Level 6

Not sure if dragging an application from an external to an internal actually is correct b/c surely the registry needs to come into play somewhere.

but what ever.

Assuming all your source files are somewhere neat and tidy (organised) and you know where the project file is.

Try Creating a NEW  project and then Importing the project file into it.

• 6. Re: CS5.5 wants me to locate all my media manually...
                    bethybags Level 1

Where should I import the project from? Like I literally create a new project then try to import the project I've been trying to open? My clips are uber organized. Everything labeled by number and what's in the clips and in folders within folders

And that's what I found weird about the whole application thing. It wasn't like I reinstalled it, ya know? It was like it somehow got moved and I was moving it back? Idk. I have no idea why the apps just disappeared. I didn't touch them.

• 7. Re: CS5.5 wants me to locate all my media manually...
                      bethybags Level 1

The program froze trying to import again. I have to force quit... Screen shot 2011-12-31 at 4.27.16 PM.png

• 8. Re: CS5.5 wants me to locate all my media manually...
                        shooternz Level 6

Was that a NEW Project?

as in .....Create a NEW Project and then IMPORT the old project into the NEW one.

• 9. Re: CS5.5 wants me to locate all my media manually...
                          bethybags Level 1

Yep. This is a new project. I click "Import," select my project (I've tried both the one I was working on, plus the autosave version too). It asks if I want to import the entire project or just the sequnce. When I select just the sequence, it tells me the program has moved and do I want to update the location. If I select the entire project it gets stuck on the "Import Files" screen as shown above.Screen shot 2011-12-31 at 5.05.53 PM.png

• 10. Re: CS5.5 wants me to locate all my media manually...
                            bethybags Level 1

Is there a way to just have adobe link the media again (find it on its own?). It lets me import the version of the project I exported already, but then it's just one big clip. I right click and select "Edit Original" and it'll open the project but unless I manually locate all the media, it will just leave all the clips blank again (editing in tact). I really, really hope I don't have to re-edit. There's so many details that would be highly time consuming to redo.

So, my question is - do you know how to relink the media? Like I said before, the media didn't move AT ALL. Still in it's original location and organized to the nth degree. Thanks! I really appreciate your help!

• 11. Re: CS5.5 wants me to locate all my media manually...
                              shooternz Level 6

Sounds like progress to me.

If you IMPORTED the old project into the New project the original edit sequences will be there as well.  (In the Bins)

The edit sequence will be there referencing all the clips.  (Look in the Imported bins for sequence and OPEN it)

At the moment you have Nested the sequence that you imported ( ie one big clip) by dragging that onto a new sequence (timeline)

BTW:You can even import sequences from the old project by them selves.

• 12. Re: CS5.5 wants me to locate all my media manually...
                                bethybags Level 1

Whenever I try to import the whole project, it freezes and force quits. When I try to import the sequence, it doesn't bring up any options for me: Screen shot 2011-12-31 at 7.37.13 PM.png

I don't know how to get to my sequences within a project b/c it won't load them ugh.

Do you think something is wrong with my actual program??

• 13. Re: CS5.5 wants me to locate all my media manually...
                                  Powered by Design Level 4

try loading the project with the Skip button.

Then when the project is loaded try right clicking a video and choosing link media.

See if you can at least get one video linked back up.

If you can then so a "save as" calling is something else.

Repeat if it works maybe linking more than one video till you get the whole thing re-linked.

Hope this works.

GLenn

• 14. Re: CS5.5 wants me to locate all my media manually...
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are using an external HDD, and have your media located on that, but then PrPro is not finding the original Path, it is very likely that something has changed, such as the drive letter, that the OS is assigning to that external. This ARTICLE goes into more detail on using externals, and setting a permanent drive letter in the OS.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: CS5.5 wants me to locate all my media manually...
                                      shooternz Level 6

I don't know why, but my applications all said they weren't on my actual computer anymore so I reloaded them back onto my computer from my external hard drive and now it says that the program location changed do I want to update or not update the location. I click "update" and then it makes me put in my computer password and then begins trying to open the media for the project.

All that in post #2 is what has me concerned.  It doesnt make sense (the way it is explained)

Anyone got ideas on that?

try loading the project with the Skip button.

Then when the project is loaded try right clicking a video and choosing link media.

See if you can at least get one video linked back up.

If you can then so a "save as" calling is something else.

Thats definitely worth a try.  ( with "Skip ALL")

• 16. Re: CS5.5 wants me to locate all my media manually...
                                        bethybags Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions guys. When I right click on a clip, it doesn't give me an option to "link media". There's a "link media" option in the menu bar under Project > Link Media but it's grayed out. It's not an option to click. My friend (an IT dude) suggested that I uninstall Premiere Pro and reinstall it fresh. Will it still keep my files? I backed it all up on my external. Is it safe to uninstall and reinstall the program??

Hunt - I'll check out the article, thanks!

• 17. Re: CS5.5 wants me to locate all my media manually...
                                          bethybags Level 1

Oh wait! Nevermind, I see what you're talking about now. I was trying to do it in the actual sequence. I did it in the project box and it worked! It replaced it in the video! So I just "save as" and do this for each clip? Will it lose it again or should it be ok? I'm just afraid there's something wrong with the actual program, and it'll do this again...?

• 18. Re: CS5.5 wants me to locate all my media manually...
                                            shooternz Level 6

Unlinked media will show in your Project Bin as an "Offline File" ( there is a column especially for this)

You go through everything and re link it to the original source files. (your uber organised files)

The "save as" suggestion is so that you save your PROJECT as a NEW PROJECT.

Re link the files then do a save as for the Project.

Here is a tip: do a back up copy by doing a Save Copy also .  ( I call my back ups  'BACKUP projectfilename #x')

• 19. Re: CS5.5 wants me to locate all my media manually...
                                              bethybags Level 1

I've had to force quit the program at least 30 times since starting this process. That's concerning to me. Every time I click on a title to see what it its (in the project box) it freezes and I have to force quit. Every time I try to link multiple clips at once, it freezes. Why is it freezing so much? Any thoughts?

• 20. Re: CS5.5 wants me to locate all my media manually...
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

This sounds like a possible issue at the system level. PrPro takes some horsepower to run efficiently. Maybe now is the time to list your complete system specs., and how you have things set up. Also, list the running processes/programs, that launch at bootup. Some of the hardware gurus can probably spot an issue, or issues. This ARTICLE might be useful to getting things tuned up a bit.

For more detail on Media Offline, see this ARTICLE.

For more background on Project files and Saving, see this ARTICLE.

Good luck, and please let us know more about your system.

Hunt

• 21. Re: CS5.5 wants me to locate all my media manually...
                                                  bethybags Level 1

Hunt, your amount of knowledge blows my mind haha. I'm such a noob in this world.

I read your article on the external hard drives - it sounds like using an external with a USB 2.0 could be causing me some trouble? I don't completely understand the eSATA - what kind of external do I need to use that? It sounds like I just need to get another external that has the eSATA hookups or FireWire so I can edit from the external with greater ease?

Right now I'm using a USB hookup 2TB Western Digital hard drive that has everything stored on it (documents, music, pictures, videos, etc.), my whole computer is backed up on it. I have another 2 TB WD to backup my other external (I've had a hard drive crash before and it's devastating so I try to be as secure as I can making backups of backups). My downfall is not knowing anything about how computers and programs actually work. Hunt, your article on Save, Save As, and Save As A Copy was really helpful - I didn't know the difference.

Here are pictures of the information I think you want (I'm not even sure how to get to all of my specs ha!) Screen shot 2012-01-02 at 4.13.04 PM.pngScreen shot 2012-01-02 at 4.17.54 PM.pngScreen shot 2012-01-02 at 4.19.54 PM.pngScreen shot 2012-01-02 at 4.20.21 PM.pngScreen shot 2012-01-02 at 4.24.26 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-01-02 at 4.34.33 PM.png

I don't know how to tell what processes/programs are running startup?

From what you see...is there a problem? I just got this computer in the spring of 2011. It told me my startup disk was full earlier this week and I don't understand why b/c I keep all my documents, etc. on the external so my computer can be freed up for editing. Hunt, I'll take your advice on the cleanup process before editing.

I really appreciate all of your input, everybody! One last question, should I start linking media now or wait to hear if I should uninstall and reinstall the program?

• 22. Re: CS5.5 wants me to locate all my media manually...
                                                    Bob_McConnell Level 1

You are running near the minimum free space just to have your system startup and run.  I would free up a lot more space.  411 GB used is a lot more than just OS and Applications.  Make sure you have videos, Itunes library etc. moved to your externals.

Bob

• 23. Re: CS5.5 wants me to locate all my media manually...
                                                      bethybags Level 1

I don't know how to make more room. i've unloaded all my videos on my external, I've unloaded all my documents onto the external....I have my music on my local drive and I have my applications on my local drive...I don't know how else to clear up space? Suggestions?

Hunt, the article you wrote about "cleaning up" before editing...will that free up more space on my startup disk?

• 24. Re: CS5.5 wants me to locate all my media manually...
                                                        bethybags Level 1

Screen shot 2012-01-05 at 2.37.41 PM.pngHow does this look now? Will this stop my program from continually force quitting? I don't keep pictures on my local drive but apparently there were archived pictures in the iPhoto library?? So I cleared those and have a ton more free space. Should I be good to go in linking all my media back up?

Thanks again for all your help guys!