3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2011 7:05 PM by pwillener

Inserting symbols in forms using Reader X

ukdeejay Level 1

Can you insert a Symbol into a fillable form with Reader X, similar to Character Map in MS Word? If so, how do you do this? So far, I have only been able to use alpha-numeric characters a-z & 0-9.

• 1. Re: Inserting symbols in forms using Reader X
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It depends on how the form was set up. If you are unable to enter characters other than alpha-numeric, the creator of the form probably set it up that way. If this is the case, you can try disabling JavaScript and entering the symbol character you want.

Most form fields are set up to use a single font, so you're limited to the characters that are available in the font, unless scripting is used to further restrict what can be entered. You can use the character map utility (on Windows) to see what characters are available, assuming you know which font is used for the field. You can copy the character you want with the utility or deterine the numeric code of the character to enter via the keyboard.

Though obviously unlikely in this case, a field can be set up to allow rich text formatting. This allows the user to set the font that's used for certain characters, as well as other attributes. So a user would be able to use a symbol font or a symbol from some font other than the default one.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Inserting symbols in forms using Reader X
            ukdeejay Level 1

Thanks, George. I admit I hadn't realised - or maybe I just forgot - that Character Map was available in Windows System Tools & not just in MS Word! Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Inserting symbols in forms using Reader X
              pwillener Level 8

Another method (on Windows) is using Alt Codes - search Google for alt codes.

Example: hold down the Alt key while you type 0235 on the numeric keypad; it will result in the character ë.