2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2011 12:10 PM by mlevin7777

this simple html page won't render properly in Dreamweaver

mlevin7777

I'm using DW 5.5 on a Mac (tried DW4 as well).  I have a web page (no attachments here, so I put it at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23232804/Books.html ) which is simply a list of permanent links to Amazon.com books - I need this for my website. Oddly, I can't load it in DW's preview window to edit it - the top part loads ok but about half-way down the page, it's blank - it's like it gives up on fetching the data from Amazon, so I can't edit it in true WYSIWYG fashion like I can with any other page. What's going on here - how do I fix this?

thanks in advance

• 1. Re: this simple html page won't render properly in Dreamweaver
          MurraySummers Level 8

Assuming what I see when I go to your link, it's a wonder that DW can display anything there.  This is not a valid web page - it's a collection of 520 <iframe> tags placed between two <center> tags.

Who created this?

I can't edit it in true WYSIWYG fashion like I can with any other page. What's going on here - how do I fix this?

DW is not a WYSIWYG editor. There is no such thing as a WYSIWYG HTML authoring system....

• 2. Re: this simple html page won't render properly in Dreamweaver
            mlevin7777 Level 1

> Assuming what I see when I go to your link, it's a wonder that DW can display anything there. 

> This is not a valid web page - it's a collection of 520 <iframe> tags placed between two <center> tags.

this is not meant to be a stand-alone page - I was going to import this content into a bigger web page. It was created for me by someone who went through and grabbed all these Amazon links.    Firefox has no problem displaying the code as-is (and correctly); I would have thought that the DW preview could do at least as well - showing me the images and their associated images even if it's not a valid page in itself. Seamonkey displays (and edits it) just fine as well. It has a <head>, <body>, etc. - what is it missing that DW shouldn't be able to display it? All I want for this is to have a page with a bunch of "tiled" rectangles each representing a book and its link at Amazon.

> DW is not a WYSIWYG editor. There is no such thing as a WYSIWYG HTML authoring system....

I'm not versed enough in the details to understand the distinction you're making, but DW comes pretty close, no?   It shows me how the html code will look in a browser, in a side-by-side preview pane. Clearly it doesn't work 100% of the time (as in this case), but it seems to do pretty well usually.  In any case, I concede the (no doubt subtle) point - all I want is to be able to see the page and edit it as DW allows me to do for any other page I've used with it.

thank you,

Mike