7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2012 9:21 AM by Jon Chappell

Premiere CS5.5 (5.5.2) crashing on linking Quicktime media

David S Bellino

I have been trying to reproduce consistently for the past 3 days (with no luck).  Premiere 5.5.2 on Macbook Pro (2010) Lion 10.7.2.  Premiere launches a project with nothing in the timeline, only files in the the project window.  The application either successfully launches and the media links (several formats QT ProRes, H/264, R3D, etc...) or crashes while trying to link media.  I have tried differnt types of media and removing others.  Never seems to be a problem with MPEG-4, R3D, etc... but the Quicktime movies (ProRes, but not only) seems problematic.  This is completely inconsistent.  I am not changing anything, just simply binging up the same project over and over.  The application will crash or successfully launch randomly.  May get 4 or 5 successful launches and then next one is a crash.  May crash 2-3 times in a row.  Then successfuly launch again for the next serveral tries.  I can tell when the application launches whether it will crash or not.  I can hear my drive when the app tries to link media and everytime it succesfuly launches.  When I don't hear my media drive after lauch, I know it will crash - and does every time.  If I remove  all Quicktime media references/links and only leave MPEG-4 and/or R3D I cannot get it to crash. However, no consistency in the crashes with the Quicktime media.  Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Premiere CS5.5 (5.5.2) crashing on linking Quicktime media
          Stephen_Spider Level 3

Quicktime = 32bit file handling?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere CS5.5 (5.5.2) crashing on linking Quicktime media
            David S Bellino Level 1

Thanks for the response.  Not very much of a techie, but understand the basics.  Would that mean that all Quicktime movies (regardless of the CODEC used) exported from my Quicktime Pro 7.6.6 (or FCP conversion) be problematic since the app that generated the movies is 32-bit? Since I have been a FCP user for many years, I have mostly ProRes video that was transoded one way ot the other.  Wish to stay on a mac, but trying to migrate to Adobe products (and Premiere).  Just don't understand the inconsistency when it works then doesn;t work - assume it would be consistent if it was a problematic movie file.  Just had a bunch of Epic footage transcoded to ProRes 4444 from RedCIneX and seems to be the same result.  Not sure how that was done, but assume RedCine may use QT to transcode?  In any case, just trying to understand what to do or if this is a show-stopper for Premiere and legacy QT.  .  Since I can seem to finally get the app/project up and running after a few times, maybe I can live with it.  Doesn't seem to have anything to do with corrupt media files or bad project file, so maybe the risk is low and will eventually not be an issue?

• 3. Re: Premiere CS5.5 (5.5.2) crashing on linking Quicktime media
              David S Bellino Level 1

Used Adobe media Encoder CS5.5 to transcode a legacy Quicktime ProRes 4444 that was created with older Quicktime 7.6.6.  New QT ProRes 4444 was created and imported into project window (no other media in test project).  Never crashed.  Tried importing the older Quicktime ProRes into the same project (just two media files in project window, new ProRes, older ProRes, nothing in timeline).  Worked a couple of times then crashed!  Went into project and unlinked media for the older ProRes QT file.  Premiere has launched successfullynow about 15 times with only the new ProRes from Encoder and has not crashed yet.  Don't really understand this, but wouldn't there be an overload of problems reported on this if it were as easy as importing Quicktime files made from 7.6.6?  Is is something peculiar to my macbook (2010) Lion system possibly?  Anyway to compare these two Quicktime files to diagnose and narrow down, or does the test say enough?  in comparing the two files with info:  only difference seems to be no audio track in the original (imports into Premiere as a video clip icon vs. movie clip).  New ProRes made from Adobe Encoder has audio tracks (although there is no sound, just blank tracks).  This imports as a movie not video clip icon.  Of course, the one that works was re-created with CS5/5 Adobe Envoder.

• 4. Re: Premiere CS5.5 (5.5.2) crashing on linking Quicktime media
                Jon Chappell Level 3

32-bit is not the issue here. The QuickTime API is 32-bit and Premiere uses a 32-bit process to read the files.

I suspect the crash is caused by Premiere's handling of the files rather than something corrupt in the files themselves. The lack of audio tracks may be a factor.

• 5. Re: Premiere CS5.5 (5.5.2) crashing on linking Quicktime media
                  David S Bellino Level 1

After further testing, looks like nothing to do with Quicktime CODECs, media files, etc...  It is happening regardless of the media files and seems to be related to restoring windows when the app comes up.  Narrowed this down to inconsistent crashes of the application launching and trying to restore its windows, which is the message I get when trying to relaunch after a crash "Premiere is trying to restore its windows RESTORE Y or N.  top section of the crash report.  just seemed originally that it was related to linking media (due to noticing that the media files we not linking when the crash occurs).  Again, no way to reproduce on demand, but is happening randomly pretty often.

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:

objc[38491]: garbage collection is OFF

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0   com.apple.CoreGraphics         0x00007fff89d25cbd sseCGSFill8by1 + 289

1   com.apple.CoreGraphics         0x00007fff89e62049 rgba32_mark_constshape + 538

2   com.apple.CoreGraphics         0x00007fff89e52e3b rgba32_mark + 215

3   libRIP.A.dylib                 0x00007fff8db30444 ripl_BltShape + 1737

4   libRIP.A.dylib                 0x00007fff8db2d6f3 ripc_Render + 362

5   libRIP.A.dylib                 0x00007fff8db29ffa ripc_DrawRects + 660

6   com.apple.CoreGraphics         0x00007fff89d553e7 CGContextFillRects + 135

7   com.adobe.dvaui.framework     0x0000000103248c20 dvaui::drawbot::OSSurfaceInterface::PaintRect(dvaui::dr

• 6. Re: Premiere CS5.5 (5.5.2) crashing on linking Quicktime media
                    David S Bellino Level 1

noticing now that the crash reports are all different... see below vs. previous post... any thoughts on this?

Process:         Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 [587]

Path: /Users/USER/*/Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5

Identifier:      com.adobe.AdobePremierePro

Version:         5.5.2 (5.5.2)

Code Type:       X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [155]

Date/Time:       2012-01-02 10:21:45.420 -0500

OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.7.2 (11C74)

Report Version: 9

Interval Since Last Report:          226452 sec

Crashes Since Last Report:           133

Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  51322 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   128

Anonymous UUID: 66E51863-E78E-4BCA-ABB4-CA5E33B1C693

Crashed Thread: 0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:

dyld: in dlopen()

objc[587]: garbage collection is OFF

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0 com.adobe.dvacore.framework 0x00000001000e2bfb dvacore::utility::InitializeAllocator() + 123

1 com.adobe.dvacore.framework 0x00000001000e2e4b dvacore::utility::SmallBlockAllocator::Dispose(void*, unsigned long) + 27

2 com.adobe.dvacore.framework 0x00000001000f13fc std::basic_string<unsigned short, std::char_traits<unsigned short>, dvacore::utility::SmallBlockAllocator::STLAllocator<unsigned short> >::reserve(unsigned long) + 156

3   com.adobe.dvacore.framework               0x00000001000f17cc

• 7. Re: Premiere CS5.5 (5.5.2) crashing on linking Quicktime media
                      Jon Chappell Level 3

I've seen these crash signatures many times and I'm starting to think they're a red herring. It's crashing in the interface code but I'm not sure that's actually anything to do with it.