6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 31, 2011 3:23 PM by Tai Lao RSS

Background Layers Locked on all Images

Jack Community Member

All of my images are coming up with background layers locked. This was not a conscious setting on my part. How do I unlock them?

• 1. Re: Background Layers Locked on all Images
          Community Member

That's the way it's supposed to be and how it works.

If you want to unlock a background layer, go to the Layers panel and double-click on the name of the layer.

• 2. Re: Background Layers Locked on all Images
            Community Member

How come you've only noticed this now?  You seem to have been using Photoshop at least since 2002.   

• 3. Re: Background Layers Locked on all Images
              Jack Community Member

That is because I never b4 had this problem. Until now, I could always edit (clone stamp, etc.) to my heart's content, and never had to unlock anything.

'02 is likely the date I started on Adobe forums in general (probably Dreamweaver). Have been a PS user since about '06.

Just tried your earlier suggestion. Double-clicking the layer name gives me a dialog box for layer name, color, mode and opacity, but no "Unlock" button. Also tried creating a  new layer from BG, but that seems to inherit the "locked" property, since my clone stamp will make no changes, same as in the BG layer.

Happy new year

Frohes neues Jahr

jwc

• 4. Re: Background Layers Locked on all Images
                Community Member

The re-named layer will be unlocked.

• 5. Re: Background Layers Locked on all Images
                  Jack Community Member

Right, thanks, the lock is gone, but use of the clone stamp tool will not change anything. Any ideas on that?

• 6. Re: Background Layers Locked on all Images
                    Community Member

John,

You should be able to use the Clone Stamp Tool even on a locked background layer.

You're either doing something wrong you're not telling us, or you need to trash your Photoshop preferences.

To re-create the preferences files for Photoshop, start the application while holding down Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS). Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

Next time, please give details on your version of Photoshop and the OS.  Also "use of the clone stamp tool will not change anything" is not nearly descriptive enough for us to figure out what you're doing or what is happening.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了