6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2011 11:46 PM by Ted Smith

How to prepare for install of Premiere Elements 10 and Photoshop 10

socmoe

HI everyone - just rec'd the disks and want to prepare my pc as best as possible before installing. I have a HP Pavilion dv7 running Windows 7 64 bit

8gb ram, 640 gb hard drive

Performace info tells me:

intel core i5 CPU M 480 @ 2.67 GHz, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6370,

GAming graphics - 3571 MB total available graphics memory, dedicated graphics memory is 512 mb

Primary Hard disk 387 GB free

performace score is 5.0

I have run Advanced System Care5, spybot search and destroy, malwarebytes anit-malware, AVG free and everything looks good.

Any other suggestions to run or check beofre I do the install? I am trying to prevent any issues like I've had with Pinnacle Studio Ulitmate 14 and Windows MM  in the past - virtual memory problems(with MM) and lots of crashes (with Pinnacle)....

Thanks in advance,

Maureen

• 1. Re: How to prepare for install of Premiere Elements 10 and Photoshop 10
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Add at least a 2nd 7200rpm hard drive for your video files

My 3 hard drives are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folder and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (*)

(*) for 4 drives, drive 3 all source files & drive 4 all output files

Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows swap file

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing

You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions

Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work

You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand

A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video editing

You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708 for more) with Windows (or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything

I find that the three drives I use work very well for me, for editing AVCHD video... some people use a 4th drive, so video INPUT files are on drive three and all OUTPUT files are on drive four... I only bought a mid-tower case instead of a full tower case (my bad... but had to fit in the space available on my office desk!) so I use the three drives that will fit

Depending on your exact hardware (motherboard brand & model AND USB2 enclosure brand & model AND external hard drive brand & model) AND the type of video file, you may... or may NOT... be able to use an external USB2 hard drive for SD (Standard Definition) video editing

Steve Grisetti in the Premiere Elements forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856208 and Jim Simon in the Premiere Pro forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856433 use USB externals for editing

A USB3 hard drive connected to a motherboard with USB3 is supposed to be fast enough for video editing (I don't have such, so don't know) but eSata DOES have a fast enough data transfer for video editing... I have not used the eSata Dock below... for reference only, YMMV and all the usual disclaimers

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=cm_cmu_pg_ t

• 2. Re: How to prepare for install of Premiere Elements 10 and Photoshop 10
            socmoe Level 1

Thank you John for all of the info. I do have 3 external hard drives:

Fantom with 1.48 TB free space

WD My Book with 113 GB free

WD My Passport with 146 GB free

Just so I understand, I should use all three of these when editing after I redirect my Windows swap file (I have to read the article - tx for the link)?

I will be mainly working with photos and videos from my Canon T2i and my Canon point and shoot Elph500 HS which both have H. 264 MOV files.

Maureen

• 3. Re: How to prepare for install of Premiere Elements 10 and Photoshop 10
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The H.264 files may give you trouble. Often Mp4s from still cameras don't fit load well into Premiere Elements. (I recommend experimenting with the DSLR settings before you spend too much time on a bigger project.)

And don't forget to resize your photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels!

• 4. Re: How to prepare for install of Premiere Elements 10 and Photoshop 10
                socmoe Level 1

Thanks Steve - I will experiment, I guess.....hopefully I won't have  a lot of issues...

tx for the tip on resizing, I read that in another post and made a mental note....

• 5. Re: How to prepare for install of Premiere Elements 10 and Photoshop 10
                  nealeh Level 5

Defragment your drives (but first clear temporary files, empty recycle bins, run advanced disk cleanup to remove all but most recent restore point).

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: How to prepare for install of Premiere Elements 10 and Photoshop 10
                    Ted Smith Level 3

Re photo resizing, I would resize and crop all photos to 16x9 and exactly the number of pixels you intend your final production to have, using Photoshop.

Any change to size done in with PE will deterioate the picture quality - sometimes quite badly particularly if only a small change is made.

Another thing, if this is material that will be viewed by people in the future, it is better to make a Blue Ray version (full HD) as this is fast becomming the norm.

I predict in a few years, DVD and standard def will go the same way that VHS tape has already gone (here in Australia at least it has)

This means making your projects and resizing your pics to 1920x1080 now.

Finally make a DVD version of this only for those who cant afford a blue ray player (available for $50) and a Full HD set (available for $600). Blank DVDs are cheap.While this might look a bit fuzzy on a computer, it will look the same as an original DVD production on an old TV set because it is not able to resolve the "fuzzyness".