3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2014 1:40 PM by bryan.gough

composition: duplicate and "make unique"

lmaclanphere Level 1

hi all

I am curious if there's a way in AE to duplicate a comp, then somehow "make unique", so that changes to the duplicate don't effect the original--

so far, I've been copy/pasting layers from the original into a newly created comp, and this seems to do the trick.. but perhaps there's a quicker way?

thanks!

LML

• 1. Re: composition: duplicate and "make unique"
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just duplicate the comp in the Project Panel by selecting the composition and pressing Ctrl/Cmnd + D. This will give you a unique copy. You can re-name it and change everything in it without changing the original.

If there is a precomp in the original then changing something in the pre-comp will make a change in every comp that contains the pre-comp.

You can also duplicate the precomp, re-name it, and then replace it in the the timeline of whichever comp you want. You do this by selecting the precomp in the timeline, then selecting the duplicate pre-comp in the Project Panel, then while holding down the Alt/Option key, you drag the duplicate to the timeline and release. This is the standard technique for replacing footage in a timeline.

• 2. Re: composition: duplicate and "make unique"
            lmaclanphere Level 1

thanks very much Rick, that seems to work

so it looks like you do have to actually replace the comp (alt+drag), not just add a duplicate from the project panel--or else the animation/effects get cleared out?

LML

• 3. Re: composition: duplicate and "make unique"
              bryan.gough Level 1

IS there a way to do this via scripting? For example... I have a calendar grid formed by a solid square and a text object for the number. I'd like to generate these calendars without having to make a unique "day" comp for each instance.... does that make sense?