12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2014 6:42 AM by RyanPaine

InDesign 5.5 ePub TOC: Suppress Automatic Entries For Documents

JPotter328

I used separate .indd files to create chapters in a ePub book using CS 5. I upgraded to CS 5.5 and created an ePub from the same files (after conversion), and noticed that the TOC was simply a listing of the filename of each .indd. I checked "Use InDesign TOC Style" under "Content" in the "EPUB Export Options" and selected the proper style, but this made no difference. In CS5, there was an option called "Suppress Automatic Entries For Documents" that eliminated this problem, but for some * dumb * reason Adobe decided to remove that check-box in CS 5.5. So how exactly do I suppress the TOC from listing every filename in CS 5.5 and instead list the selected TOC style?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: InDesign 5.5 ePub TOC: Suppress Automatic Entries For Documents
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Did you generate a TOC in the InDesign file?

Bob

• 2. Re: InDesign 5.5 ePub TOC: Suppress Automatic Entries For Documents
            JPotter328 Level 1

Hi Bob, thanks for replying!

I don't know exactly what you mean. I learned one way to do this and that's pretty much all I know. Perhaps there is a better way to do what I want, but I will tell you what I did in CS 5 that worked, which does not appear to work in CS 5.5. In CS5, I created a "book" in ID (.indb file) and I then created individual document files (.indd) for each chapter of that book. I think this creates individual xhtml files, which I read is more efficient in some eReaders. It also causes definite page breaks between chapters. The title of each chapter is written with its own paragraph style called "TOC," which I use with nothing else. In CS 5 I added the paragraph style "TOC" under "Layout>Table of Contents" under the box "Include Paragraph Styles." In CS5, this created a perfect TOC with each chapter heading as one entry in the TOC. There was nothing else to do, no .ncix files (or whatever they are called). No other files at all. It just worked. Now, in CS 5.5, every single document is listed in the TOC by its filename, which just isn't going to work. There are some separate .indd files that are images only. I don't want the images to be part of the TOC. I only want the first page of each "chapter" to be included as a link in the TOC. The simple way to ensure this would happen in CS 5 was to (1) export the .indb file to ePub, (2) under "EPUB Export Options" select "Use Indesign TOC Style:" and select the paragraph style "TOC" in the drop-down menu, and (3) click the box marked "Suppress Automatic Entries For Documents." The whole purpose of this third step was to ensure that the individual filenames did not show up in the resultant ePub file's TOC. Now, that option seems to have been removed in CS 5.5, even though in CS 5.5 the option "Use InDesign TOC Style" is still an option under the "EPUB Export Options" pop-up window.

If the option "Suppress Automatic Entries For Documents" exists elsewhere in CS 5.5, please let me know. Otherwise, if there is a better way to do this, please let me how.

Thanks!

James Potter

http://www.janesworks.co

JANES Works develops entertaining and educational games, books, and apps

• 3. Re: InDesign 5.5 ePub TOC: Suppress Automatic Entries For Documents

In CS5.5 there’s no reason to use a book as you can use the chapter title styles to break it into chapters. This will create new HTML files.

Try this though. Create the TOC and place it on the paste board of the first page of the first file and use the TOC style in the export.

Bob

• 4. Re: InDesign 5.5 ePub TOC: Suppress Automatic Entries For Documents
                AnneMarie Concepcion Adobe Community Professional

Bob, it's actually still quite useful to use the Book feature in CS5.5, if only for file management of large books. (and fwiw, CS5 could break a doc into separate chapters too...)

James, in CS5.5, if you specify a TOC style in EPUB Export options, the separate file names will *always* be supressed. That's why the checkbox is gone, as far as I can tell. I did a test book export just now and I was able to include various INDD files in the EPUB (like an image-only one) without their filenames showing up in the device (ncx) TOC.

My guess is that something else is going on. Did you remember to choose the TOC Style name in the EPUB Export dialog box (in the Contents tab)?  Sorry ... have to ask

Have you updated CS5.5 to the latest patch, 7.5.2?

AM

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: InDesign 5.5 ePub TOC: Suppress Automatic Entries For Documents

Hi AM,

I was looking more at his reason for using it, which was spliting the EPUB into chapters. Of course, for very large documents, a book is good idea no matter how you're going to output it.

And I'll plead ignorance on CS5. Really got into this more when CS5.5 came out but I'd be interested to see if generating a TOC and just sticking it on the pasteboard will override the problem he's having. I recall seeing this before from a propective client but the job never panned out so I never followed up on it.

Bob

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: InDesign 5.5 ePub TOC: Suppress Automatic Entries For Documents
                    JPotter328 Level 1

Thanks for your input Bob and AnneMarie!

I finally got it to work, although I'm still confused how it did work because the results were very unpredictable, and I encountered an additional problem with CS 5.5. I have two versions of the same book, a children's book, one with 2x the number of pics. The one with 22 pics eventually worked and saved off at 1.89MB. The one with 44 pics saved off at 40MB. I checked the images folder inside the epub. Half were PNGs the rest JPGs. I told the ePub exporter to make them all JPG. I then clicked on the "overide" checkbox, and they still came out as PNGs. I had all my documents open (49 total) when I did this. I closed InDesign, then only opened my book file (.indb) and then it finally worked where all were JPGs, and the file came out to around 4MBs. This is important because Barnes&Noble only accepts ePubs up to 20MBs.

As far as the TOC, under "Layout>Table of Contents>" I had to select "TOC" under the "Style" drop-down menu, and then it worked. It put a box or something around my mouse cursor that I think was the TOC. I clicked in on a page once and it put a TOC with page numbers there. However, when I just left it hanging on the mouse and didn't place it anywhere, it still worked. Not sure what is going on because I never had to do that before. I started from scratch and made a new book, but still had to do the same thing. I did not make new documents though, so maybe something is messed up with my paragraph styles or TOC styles.

James

http://www.janesworks.co

JANES Works develops entertaining and educational games, books, and apps

PS: For those who do not know how to open an ePub and you just happen to find yourself reading this: (1) make a copy of your epub, (2) rename the extension from .epub to .zip (epubs are just renamed zips), (3) extract the zip, (4) open the extracted folder and you will see a META-INF folder and OEBPS folder. Open the OEBPS folder and you will see all the html (each chapter of my book). You can open these html files in an html editor to adjust them if you wish. You will also see an "images" folder in the OEBPS folder. That is where my images were stored half as JPGs and half as PNGs. Probably obvious, but don't just go and change PNGs to JPGs here if you find the same problem That would break it because you have to modify the html file to point to the new file extension. That would be a pain. All my problems with the file size were because all the documents were open when I exported to ePub. When I just opened the book alone, it saved off properly.  

PSS: To turn the extracted zip back into an ePub, open the extracted folder so that you can see the META-INF and OEBPS folders. Select everything in that folder and then zip it. You must be inside that extracted folder. If you try zipping the extracted folder then you will have embedded the OEBPS and META-INF folders inside that extracted folder, 2 levels deep inside the zip. For the rezipped ePub to work, these two folders have to remain on the first level of the zip. You have to zip it back up just like you found it, file-structure-wise.

PSSS: And a final note about making ePubs for the Nook eReader: you have to delete the file "encryption.xml" inside the META-INF folder that InDesign puts there in order for B&N to accept the ePub. That will leave just "container.xml" inside that folder.

• 7. Re: InDesign 5.5 ePub TOC: Suppress Automatic Entries For Documents
                      HopelessManu Level 1

Hi. I've had the same problem with 5.5, but I've discovered that if you export for EPUB from the Book menu, then you get the file names (annoying) but if you export directly from the single file of the book in which you have placed the TOC, then you get the right headlines in the EPUB.

• 8. Re: InDesign 5.5 ePub TOC: Suppress Automatic Entries For Documents
                        Robertalbu

I may have solved your problem. I too have books with chapters each in a separate file. Using the book menu to generate a TOC for ePub failed in spite of everything seemingly set up appropriately i.e. a TOC style set up in the prelims file and then chosen in the book menu. Then whatever I did resulted in a TOC in ePub with just the file names. Eventually after 6 hours trying different things I think I have discovered the solution. Every file has to be synchronised in the book. (It was HopelessManu's observation just above which gave me the clue). I went through every file in the book and found that the TOC style varied with the files. I synchronised the files through the book menu and also checked each file manually and it finally worked - a TOC of the contents of the chapters - not the file names. Now all I have to do is to work out why the TOC entries are not nesting in the ordinary indd file but that is just a comparative minor glitch.

• 9. Re: InDesign 5.5 ePub TOC: Suppress Automatic Entries For Documents
                          RyanPaine Level 1

Hi folks,

I'm also wondering about how to create a navigational TOC that doesn't just replicate the document names. I haven't been able to fully understand each of the above replies, so have added some specific comments.

I'm sure it will be a simple solution—i just can't get my head around it right now.

Ryan

• 10. Re: InDesign 5.5 ePub TOC: Suppress Automatic Entries For Documents
                            RyanPaine Level 1

I have also had file names replicated when exporting from the book menu, and i have tried to export directly from the document containing the TOC, but perhaps i haven't understood you correctly.

When i try to export directly from a single document (using the File menu instead of the Book panel), all i get is Export to Buzzwords (and even Buzzwords is greyed out).

Any ideas about where i'm going wrong?

• 11. Re: InDesign 5.5 ePub TOC: Suppress Automatic Entries For Documents
                              RyanPaine Level 1

@annemarie,

I have specified a TOC style in the export dialogue box and the navigational TOC in the ePub file is not suppressing the document titles. What is this patch you mention? I currently have version 7.5.

Ryan

• 12. Re: InDesign 5.5 ePub TOC: Suppress Automatic Entries For Documents
                                RyanPaine Level 1

Hi folks,

For what it's worth, i solved my problem after being prompted on some forum somewhere to consider whether i had set up my TOC Style on the Document listed in the Book panel as the Style Source.

I hadn't, so the TOC Style i had created was not available in the drop-down menu for Use InDesign TOC Style.

By applying Style Source to the Document that had a TOC Style, i was able to output my ePub file with a navigational TOC that referenced the styled title headings instead of the file names.

Ryan