7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2012 7:20 AM by the_wine_snob

Importing a Video from Sony Handycam

Paul_JKR

I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 8.0 / Premiere Elements 8.0, and when I've been importing videos from my Sony Handycam (HDR-CX7), the Adobe software is downloading the entire video, but it seems to be putting an incorrect duration on the video.  For example, the imported video is 5 minutes, but it shows up in Elements at 1.5 minutes.  I do know that the entire video is being downloaded b/c if I scroll to the end and rewind back 30 seconds it will play the last 30 seconds of the 5 minute video, however if I start from the beginning it will only play the frist 1.5 minutes. Any way that I start, it will only play the 1.5 minues in total. If I watch the vide in Windows Media player, it will play the entire 5 minute video.  Anybody have a solve for this, or an explanation on why its happening?

• 1. Re: Importing a Video from Sony Handycam
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

How are you getting the video from the camcorder to your computer? Are you using Premiere Elements' Get Media tool to import the video from the cam to your project over a USB connection?

Have you ensured you're only recording the video on that camcorder in XP mode? (That camcorder shoots in several modes.)

Which settings did you select when you set up your Premiere Elemnts project? You should have selected 1920x1080 with 5.1 audio. (Make sure you've selected 5.1 audio!!!)

Once you've imported the video into your project, have you waited for it to fully conform before you began editing? (You'll see the progress in the lower right of the program's interface.)

• 2. Re: Importing a Video from Sony Handycam
            Paul_JKR Level 1

Answers to your questions:

I'm importing it using Photoshop Elements' Get Media tool from the card reader (taking out the card from the camcorder and putting into my computer's card-reader).

Yes, I'm ensuring that the recording is in the XP mode.

I didn't change any settings that what was default in Premiere Elements - to say I'm a novice is an understatement. I only download photos/videos - haven't edited any photos or videos. I posted this question originally on Photoshop elements, but was directed over to this forum. I just opened Premiere and looked for the options you've suggested, and can't see where I would change the settings and/or if that would make a difference.

Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Importing a Video from Sony Handycam
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Being new to Premiere Elements, this partial LIST of resources might be useful. I especially recommend Steve's Basic Training Series, as the place to start.

Good luck and happy editing,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Importing a Video from Sony Handycam
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Part 1 of my free 8 part Basic Training tutorials at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com will show you how to properly set up a project.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685

As I've said, properly setting up your project is VITAL to a success video editing experience with Premiere Elements.

• 5. Re: Importing a Video from Sony Handycam
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I agree, and feel that this is an area that Adobe does not stress enough, with either PrE, or PrPro. I am glad that you do.

My guess would be that 20% of all issues would be solved, if only users understood how important matching the Source Footage to the Project's Preset (Sequence Preset in PrPro) is.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Importing a Video from Sony Handycam
                    Ted Smith Level 3

I have a HDRCX350 and I usually just simply copy all the pic files to my computer with Windows Explorer (The camera looks like another USB hard drive)

I then GET MEDIA from these copied files when using them in Premiere elements. Works every time.

If you use just your card in a reader, same thing would be for you to first copy your videos on your card to a hard drive folder, then use only the files on the disk for PE (not the card files)

As others keep saying you must initially select the correct setting for the project the same (or compatible) as the settings you shot the video in.

If you are going to make a DVD later from  HD edited stuff, then this is set later when you make the DVD (Share)

• 7. Re: Importing a Video from Sony Handycam
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Ted,

Your suggestion to Copy the files ot the HDD is a good one, and for two reasons:

1. If the files ONLY exist on the card, then it must be available to PrE to edit those files
                      2. The Copy onto the HDD, allows one to reuse the card, overwriting the files on it

For others, all that PrE does is link to the location from where the Get Media/Imported files were. There are NO media files in the Project - ONLY links to where they were, when one invoked Get Media/Import. One is then NOT editing the actual Source Files, but proxies representing those files. No changes are ever made to the Source Files, and all editing changes are ONLY applied to a new file, when one Shares/Exports.

Thanks for offering that useful tip,

Hunt