9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2012 3:32 AM by nealeh

Project Settings for AVI files

yjfujgym

Hi,

I want to import vide AVI files (as well as pictures) from my CANON IXUS 990 IS camera to Premiere Elemets 10.

What will be the optimum Project Settings for that?

• 1. Re: Project Settings for AVI files
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the full details of those AVI files, and especially the Frame Size and CODEC used?

This ARTICLE goes into more detail on file formats, like AVI, which are but "wrappers," and can contain almost anything. This ARTICLE goes into more detail on CODEC's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Project Settings for AVI files
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's also possible that, since this is a pocket still camera, it shoots video in MJPEG, which won't edit well in Premiere Elements no matter which settings you use.

As Bill says, open the video file in Media Info or G Spot and see what it lists for resolution/dimensions, frame rate and, above all, codec.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

• 3. Re: Project Settings for AVI files
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Besides the MJPEG CODEC, it has become more common for some camera mfgrs. to wrap H.264 (most often seen in an MP4 wrapper, or variation of that), in the AVI wrapper. This can cause issues with both PrE and PrPro, as the programs are not coded to expect MP4 in an AVI.

If the files ARE MJPEG, then this ARTICLE might be helpful. While there are some universal MJPEG CODEC's, like Morgan, or MainConcept, it's usually better to get the one furnished by the camera mfgr. This might be via a separate install, by the installation of the camera's driver, or even by installing a supplied utility from the camera's utility disc. That would be the best, since most camera mfgrs. love to tweak things a bit.

Good luck, and I only wish that camera mfgrs. would standardize more, but instead, they seem intent to make things even more confusing?

Hunt

• 4. Re: Project Settings for AVI files
                yjfujgym Level 1

Thanks a lot for your comments.

By checking one of the AVI files with Gspot I got the message that Video Codec is MJPG named Motion JPEG and that Audio Codec is PCM Audio

ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 01 19.07.gif

John

• 5. Re: Project Settings for AVI files
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for that screen-cap. It appears that you have an MJPEG CODEC installed, but it might not be one that PrE can use. In very general terms, there are three "types" of CODEC:

1. The installed CODEC is used for playback - pretty universal here
                  2. The installed CODEC can also be used to Encode - fairly common, but not 100% universal
                  3. The installed CODEC can be used to edit the files - this depends on the CODEC and on the NLE program

If you can install the exact version of the MJPEG CODEC, used by your camera, you will be more likely to have success. As mentioned, this might be a separate installation, might be part of the camera driver, or might only be installed, along with included editing, or cataloging software, even if you do not use that to edit. It's the installation of that particular MJPEG CODEC, that is important.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Project Settings for AVI files
                    yjfujgym Level 1

Thanks for all the information. I have tryed to install the software belonging to my camera but PrE is telling me that the software is not installed so I suppose your last comment that SW is installed along with their editing SW is correct.

John

• 7. Re: Project Settings for AVI files
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

It would be so much easier, if each camera mfgr. just included a CODEC installer, right on the utility disc. However, they seem to want to hide them within other software on that disc. My wife has three cameras, that shoot video, and I just installed the various software programs on each cameras' disc, though I use only Premiere. Those other editors, and cataloging programs take up some space on C:\, but I have yet to encounter any conflict with the Nikon, Canon or Panasonic/Lumix programs.

I suppose that because CODEC's can be rather a daunting concept, most camera mfgrs. try to hide them from their users, and just assume that those same users will just want the rudimentary editing capabilities of the provided software. Heck, most camera mfgrs. assume that most users will only want to display the video on a TV, or upload un-edited material to YouTube, or similar. They do not seem interested in helping their users do more serious editng of the material, and I feel that is a shame.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Project Settings for AVI files
                        yjfujgym Level 1

Hi,

I think I found a solution. Maybe other people can use it.

I opened my .AVI file with Windows Movie Maker and after letting it generate a wmv file PrE was able to open it and generate a mpg file.

Seems to work well with both Video and Sound.

John

• 9. Re: Project Settings for AVI files
                          nealeh Level 5

To maximise your quality using Windows Movie Maker use the 2.6 version (it works with XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit) and export to DV-AVI(it's tucked away under 'show more choices' during the Save Movie Wizard).

1.png

More details in the FAQ What tools can I use to convert my video to DV-AVI?.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children