6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2012 7:06 PM by the_wine_snob

APE 10: How to select a frame be the thumbnail for the exported video file?

ramros44@live.com

I have Adobe Premiere Elements 10 and using Windows 7. I create a title and place it as the first clip in the Sceneline. When I export the video and look at the file using Windows Explorer folder view, the thumbnail shown is a frame from another clip and not the clip containing the title. How can I get the title to be used as the thumbnail for exported video files?

• 1. Re: APE 10: How to select a frame be the thumbnail for the exported video file?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not quite sure what you're saying, ramros.

Can you show us a screen capture of this thumbnail issue?

It really sounds like a Windows issue. Premiere Elements has nothing to do with how the thumbnails are displayed in Windows Explorer.

• 2. Re: APE 10: How to select a frame be the thumbnail for the exported video file?
            Ted Smith Level 3

Have you selected the sort order in Windows Explorer to be the same as in PE?

Eg. by creation date, earliest first

• 3. Re: APE 10: How to select a frame be the thumbnail for the exported video file?
              ramros44@live.com Level 1

Thank you Steve and Ted for your attention to my inquiry.

Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree here and this is not an issue with APE. I would just like to pick a frame and have that frame be shown in Windows Explorer when I view the list of files in a folder and the file is a video file. I'm using APE 10 and Windows 7 (64-bit).

Here is a screenshot showing the first two clips of the APE sceneline. I want to use the first clip (the title) as the thumbnail (icon).

Sceneline.jpg

Here is a screenshot showing the icon displayed by Windows Explorer for the video file that I created. As you can see, the first clip (the title) is not used.

WE Screenshot.jpg

• 4. Re: APE 10: How to select a frame be the thumbnail for the exported video file?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

This is odd indeed, as most cataloging programs, from Organizer to Windows Explorer, usually show the first Frame of an AV file, even if it's a black Frame, if those programs can show a thumbnail. Why your Title is not showing is a mystery to me.

Only thing that I can think of is that you have either not Exported/Shared the edited version from your Project, or have located that somewhere else. Remember, when editing in PrE (or any Non-destructive editing program), changes made in the Project exist ONLY in that Project, until one Exports/Shares it to the HDD. The original is NOT altered in any way. I would do a test, and do the Export/Share to an otherwise empty folder, and then check it in Windows Explorer to see if the Title appears then. Also, if you have used a Dip-to-Black Transition to that Title, the thumbnail Frame will be black.

How does this AV file show in Organizer, if you have Thumbnail View selected?

Good luck, and just thinking here,

Hunt

• 5. Re: APE 10: How to select a frame be the thumbnail for the exported video file?
                  ramros44@live.com Level 1

Hi Bill, thanks for your thoughts on this.

The file created is indeed the one intended and in the correct folder. When I double-click on the file the video is played and the first thing I see is the title. So the video created has what I expect. Go figure.

I'm starting to think that there might be a Windows setting that determines how Windows Explorer picks the frame to be used as the thumbnail for video files. I have not found any reference to it so far.

Here is some new info...

If I replace the first clip that has the title with another clip, then the thumbnail is created from that first clip. As soon as I add the title as the first clip, then the thumbnail is created from the second clip.

OK ---- I just found information that states that the thumbnails are created by Windows and placed in a file that act as a cache for the thumbnails. This prevents Windows Explorer from generating the thumbnails each time the folder is viewed. In my computer (64-bit Win 7), the thumnail cache files are stored in folder "C:\Users\Ramon\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer". They have an extension of ".db". I found the information at this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_thumbnail_cache

• 6. Re: APE 10: How to select a frame be the thumbnail for the exported video file?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Hm-m, I do not recall any setting in Windows for a Poster Frame. Historically, it is Frame 01, and that should be your Title.

Now, with some CODEC's, Windows Explorer (and some other cataloging programs) have problems displaying any Poster Frame, but I have never seen a display that is NOT the first Frame. A puzzle there????

Maybe some Windows guru will have a bit of insight, and we will both learn something.

Wish that I had more to offer, but good luck,

Hunt