10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2012 9:16 AM by Premultiplied

Free Transform multiple layers at the same time (only selected part)

Premultiplied Level 1

Hi,

i have two layers - one contains color and second one contains outline. I want to select a part of the image and free transform both the layers at the same time. (so when i for example move or rotate the selected part of my example, both the color and outline moves at the same time). Layers must stay separated, process must be sort of quick, i would love to use this all the time when drawing etc.

- Only way i managed to make this somewhat happen was to select the desired part of the image -> save the selection -> new layer via copy (on first layer) -> reselect the saved selection -> new layer via copy (on the second layer) -> select both of the new layers -> free transform. Warp doesnt work but other transforms do. But still this process is too slow and distracting even when having all the required commands hotkeyed. Is there a faster way?

Any tips are welcome!

• 1. Re: Free Transform multiple layers at the same time (only selected part)
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

Not sure you can streamline the process that much, but you don't need to save the selection.  Make your selection and copy first layer to new layer, and ctrl click the new layer to instantly reload the selection.  You can then select and combine the two copied elements, and use FT.  Not sure why Warp would not work for you - when you start the FT process you can right click and change to any of the FT options.  The whole thing would take you about five seconds!

• 2. Re: Free Transform multiple layers at the same time (only selected part)
            Premultiplied Level 1

If the layer has some transparent pixels, then the selection i get from ctrl click after the first copy will only grab the visible pixels in that new layer  (and those are different from the other layer, for example a color layer + thin outline layer, both of which i need to transform at the same time, if i select part of outline layer and copy to new layer, when i then ctrl click it, it will only make thin selection around the outline, not the full rectangle selection i made originally). Also i dont want to combine the two new copied elements together to do the transform, i want to transform them simultaneously but after that still be able to merge them separately with their appropiate layer that they were copied from (outline with outline, color with color). And yep warp doesnt work, probably because im transforming two layers at the same time. I cant merge the two new layers together, it would defeat the purpose of why im trying to do this

• 3. Re: Free Transform multiple layers at the same time (only selected part)
              D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try Select > Reselect. But even if you save and reload the selection you could make an action to kick in after you've made the initial selection. Then it's just one keyboard shortcut (if you assign one).

If you want to reuse the action in complex layer structures it should be possible if you include renaming the layers in the action. The action will work on specific layer names. You'll have to try it out; actions are powerful but have limitations.

• 4. Re: Free Transform multiple layers at the same time (only selected part)
                Semaphoric Adobe Community Professional

Try this: select and transform the first layer. Select the second layer, and Edit > Transform > Agian (Shift + Control + T).

• 5. Re: Free Transform multiple layers at the same time (only selected part)
                  Premultiplied Level 1

@D Fosse:

Select - reselect is greyed out after ive made the first selection and hit new layer from copy, even in the current layer already.

@Semaphoric

Transform - transform again  requires the same selection else it applies the transformation to the whole layer (that means i have to save the selection again anyways to be able to perform exactly the same one)

Also those two would not let me see the transformation of both in "realtime" as i work on the transformation.

I will look into actions and try to see if my current method could somehow be automated as far as the selection saving and then reselecting to copy the second layer goes. (the method mentioned in the OP).

• 6. Re: Free Transform multiple layers at the same time (only selected part)
                    Semaphoric Adobe Community Professional

So, the important thing is to see both layers transform simultaneously as you edit? Not just see one, and have the second occur automatically  immediately after you commit the transform?

• 7. Re: Free Transform multiple layers at the same time (only selected part)
                      Noel Carboni Level 8

Could you duplicate the document, transform the entire image, then copy parts of it back?  Just trying to think outside the box a bit...

-Noel

• 8. Re: Free Transform multiple layers at the same time (only selected part)
                        Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

I wonder if you did not understand my suggestion above.  

Make your selection on the first layer, and copy that selection to a new layer.

Ctrl click that new layer, which will reload the exact same selection.

Go to your second layer and copy that to a new layer.

Select the two new layers, and merge (ctrl e)

Use Free Transform on the merged layers.

Right click to change to warp.

Place the original two layers and the merged copies into a named group for the sake of good house keeping.

---------------------------------

When ever you make a complext selection it is not a bad idea to copy that selection to a new layer.  It is much quicker to reload that selection by ctrl clicking it, than saving and reloading the selection.  With your selected image element on it's own layer, you can edit layers lower down the palet without affecting your selected image element.  You can add shadows, you can fill the shape with other pixels, you do heaps and heaps.

• 9. Re: Free Transform multiple layers at the same time (only selected part)
                          Noel Carboni Level 8

Not sure if you were intending to reply directly to me, Trevor, or just using the last Reply link in the thread... I wasn't putting down your suggestion, just offering a bit different possible way to think about the problem.

-Noel

• 10. Re: Free Transform multiple layers at the same time (only selected part)
                            Premultiplied Level 1

@Trevor.Dennis

i did understand, but as i said ctrl clicking the new layer only selects visible pixels in it, and my layers dont cover the whole canvas, especially not the outline layer, so ctrl click will only select that noodle of pixels and thats not usable in the other layer. (doing selection in the other layer first isnt a solution)

Better description of what exactly im after:

im manually drawing characters and i keep the their black "ink" lines/outlines on separate layer from the color layer. From time to time i want to transform small part of the character, lets say warp or rotate just its leg to fix or iterate, but i want to transform both the outline and color layer at the same time with that rotation so i see realtime how it looks. I would use this all the time if it was doable quickly. Transforms and puppetwarp are so powerful when drawing that as last resort i will have to switch to drawing everything on single layer.