18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2012 5:47 PM by jplamarca

Can't view Premier Elements 10 help file or export

jplamarca

I just upgradef from Premier Elements 7 to Premier Elements 10. I am unable, however to view the help files and I also cannot export my video ("export" is grayed out). When I click on help (and alos F1), all I get is a license agreement for Adobe Air. When I agree to that, the window closes and nothing happens. Help!

• 1. Re: Can't view Premier Elements 10 help file or export
          the_wine_snob Level 9

For # 1, what is the default browser in your OS?

For # 2, all video Export is now on the Share Tab. Note: when you go there, be sure to see the Scroll Bar on the right of that Panel, and with it, you can then see all possibilities - otherwise, you will only see but a few options.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Can't view Premier Elements 10 help file or export
            jplamarca Level 1

I use Google Chrome as my default browser - I use Windows 7, 64 bit.

I found the export under share. I guess "export" shouldn't be listed under file (that one is grayed out).

Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Can't view Premier Elements 10 help file or export
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I have had issues with Adobe Help files and Chrome, and toggle back to IE for those. Not sure what the issue is, but with IE as my default, all works well.

As for Export, one can still Export Titles as Template under that older Toolbar entry. Not sure why, for PrE, Adobe chose to go with Share for everything else, but they did. That fooled many of us old Adobe users.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can't view Premier Elements 10 help file or export
                jplamarca Level 1

Thanks. Is there a way to toggle to IE just for Premier?

• 5. Re: Can't view Premier Elements 10 help file or export
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Not within PrE, but you can quickly set up the "default" browser in the OS, or from within the various browsers. The location will depend on the particular browsers.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Can't view Premier Elements 10 help file or export
                    jplamarca Level 1

Thanks, I was afraid of that. I hope Adobe fixes this situation. Their help files should be available without having to use IE. Again, thanks for your help.

• 7. Re: Can't view Premier Elements 10 help file or export
                      jplamarca Level 1

I just change the default browser and rebooted the computer to play it safe. It still didn't work I recieve a notice that asks me to accept the license agreement for Adobe Air (whatever that is), I click "I agree" and then nothing happens. Any other ideas?

• 8. Re: Can't view Premier Elements 10 help file or export
                        Preran Adobe Employee

I will check with other people about how to solve your problem. Meanwhile, you can access this help content from the following locations:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/index.html

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/elementsorganizer/using/index.html

Also, check out this link for other resources.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WSeffff8bffc802084-7b5de6931308d7ff99c- 7ff4.html

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Can't view Premier Elements 10 help file or export
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Hm-m, I am surprised that going to IE did not help there, but see that Preran kindly furnished URL's for Help.

Since I used to do Web site design, I keep a small (smaller as the years go by) supply of different browsers installed, mainly for testing. Chrome is my "main" browser, though IE 7 (in my case) always works when Chrome does not. As Adobe programs use the "default" browser for on-line Help, it just goes by what the user has set.

Hope that those URL's do the trick, and maybe Preran will have more tips, and we can both learn something there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Can't view Premier Elements 10 help file or export
                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The Help files can also be read with Safari and FireFox. So maybe it's Chrome that needs to be fixed.

BTW, you did download and install this program, didn't you?

http://get.adobe.com/air/

• 11. Re: Can't view Premier Elements 10 help file or export
                              jplamarca Level 1

Thank you very much - at least I can now access the help files (even if I have to do it externally). Thanks!

• 12. Re: Can't view Premier Elements 10 help file or export
                                jplamarca Level 1

Thanks, Bill. As a rule, I use Chrome for most things. I can access help files using the links that Preran provided.

• 13. Re: Can't view Premier Elements 10 help file or export
                                  jplamarca Level 1

Steve, I'm going really blunt here - the problem is Adobe's. If they're not going to provide a printed manual and insist on providing help files that can't be accessed unless a certain browser is used, then they need to provide printed manuals I am, however, very glad that one of Adobe's employees is monitoring this forum and as provided me with a temporary solution. BTW, I already have the latest version of Adobe Air (you'll note my posts kept asking me to accept Air's "licensing agreement" - attempts to see if I have the latest version also inform me that I have the latest version of Air installed.

• 14. Re: Can't view Premier Elements 10 help file or export
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I am a big fan of printed manuals, but then come from a different era. Heck, I still have my old WordPerfect 1.0 ring-bound manual, and back then, dutifully added each addendum page to it - loved the high-gloss spot lacquer for the screen shots!

Now, things are electronic, and that is the wave of the present, and the future. I miss the printed manuals (could take them on the airplane and read in flight), but with electronic, on-line manuals/Help files, it's now easy to update things instantly, rather than mail a bunch of pages to the user, to insert into the ring-bound manual, like the "good old days."

Though it works for most things, Chrome seems to be the weak link here. Not sure why, as it works much better for me, in these Adobe forums - it's something with the danged Help files, that is not right. I have been away from the "guts" of browsers for too long to even begin poking around for the reason.

Good luck, and I do feel your pain, being the "book person," that I am,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Can't view Premier Elements 10 help file or export
                                      jplamarca Level 1

Hi Bill, yeah, I'm from a different era too I'm afraid I no longer have my old WordPerfect manual though!

Although I'm all for the latest "wave", Adobe really needs to do something (it's really silly that we need to get help to obtain the help files)! As I mentioned, switching my default browser to IE (which I don't like), still produces the same problem

Book people need to stick together! (FYI, I do use .pdfs all the time but, as a rule, I still prefer paper).

Thanks!

• 16. Re: Can't view Premier Elements 10 help file or export

You've installed Adobe Air and you still can't view the Help files? Even after switching to IE?

Something is definitely wrong at your end, jp. The help files have always installed automatically onto my computer the first time I've tried to access them. I can see the Help file on my Desktop. (It's an Adobe Air file.) It launches automatically whenever I got to any program's Help dropdown menu, and it supports several of the Adobe programs I have installed on my computer.

There is no reason this should not also be the case for you.

• 17. Re: Can't view Premier Elements 10 help file or export

UPDATE

I just did some tests. Even with Chrome as my default browser, the Help files open just fine. So it's not a browser issue.

• 18. Re: Can't view Premier Elements 10 help file or export
                                            jplamarca Level 1

I've been busy and am just getting back to this thread. The problem has just been solved and it was caused by Adobe Air.

(Warning - I'm going to go into a rant!) After dealing with this for so long, I contacted Adobe Tech Support only to be connected to someone in INDIA (I find it REALLY OFFENSIVE that American's aren't hired to provide tech support). As is typical when calling INDIA, it takes about 3 or 4 times longer than if an American was providing tech support. I had to continually ask the guy to repeat himself as I couldn't get past his accent. He practically wanted me to uninstall everything (I don't him NO) - including programs that I don't have on my system!

Finally, after being placed on hold, he had me create another user account and then open Premiere Elements 10 using the new account. Lo and behold, the help files worked. Then the guy tried to get me to download the help files as a pdf (which means that they wouldn't be accessible from within the program on the regular account. The clown then tried to tell me that "they would still be accessible anytime I wanted to view them" (so much for the argument that placing the help files on the Internet helps ensure that you've got the latest information). That idea, of course, was absurd.

In the meantime, I had logged back into my computer - using my regular account, opened up Premiere Elements 10 and, surprise, surprise - the help files now show up. So, the solution to this problem (at least for me) was the following:

1. Uninstall Adobe Air (uninstalling and then reinstalling, by itself, does NOT fix the problem),

2. Create a new administrator user account on your home computer,

3. Open up Premiere Elements in the new account,

4. See if the help file shows up,

5. Log out and then back into your regular account,

6. Open Premiere Elements and check to see if the help files show up (mine did),

7. Uninstall the new user account

Again, merely uninstalling Adobe Air, rebooting the computer, and opening Adobe Premiere from within your regular account does NOT solve the problem.

At last, the problem is now solved. I remain VERY IRRITATED at Adobe's refusal to hire Americans and let their customers waddle through the nightmare of outsourcing to India.

End of rant . . .

Thanks everyone for your help - fortunately, the problem has been solved.