16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2012 10:00 AM by Bill Gehrke

New user needs help with HD choices

JobJoe

I just found this forum and it looks like something I am going to enjoy.  I have Premiere Pro CS 5.0 and use it to process AVCHD video.  My hardware is made up of Asus P9X79 Pro, i7 3930k, 16 GB memory, and GTX 470 vid card.  I also have an SSD as my main boot drive - it is an OCZ Revodrive.

I would like help in setting up my hard drives for the Adobe software, so have listed my storage drives along with current usage and ATTO benchmark results:

Drive 0 - Revodrive - ATTO = 800 - Used for Win 7 -64 Pro and Adobe software

Drive 1 - WD Black 2TB - ATTO = 140 - Used for MTS file storage

Drive 2 - WD Black 2TB - ATTO = 140 - Used for Scratch Files

Drive 3 - Samsung 1TB - ATTO = 60 - Used for Finished files (Encore files and for saving MP4 files for web upload)

Drive 4 - WD Black 1TB - ATTO = 120 - Used for backup

Drive 5&6 - 2 each Hitachi 750GB in Raid - ATTO = 180 - Used for backup (Drives are attached to Marvel Raid port on Motherboard)

I realize that drive #3 is the slowest drive and should probably be used for other things.  I am open to suggestions.

• 1. Re: New user needs help with HD choices
          JEShort01 Level 4

Happy New Year and wecome to the forum!

Sounds like a strong system, and it should be just fine for AVCHD video.

Suggest:

Boot / OS / programs - Revodrive is fine; you can also assign media cache and media cache DB (CS5 setting) to this drive

Data drive - create a RAID 0 array from your current drives 1 and 2 - use this for projects and media, and pretty much whatever other data needs you have for your PC

scratch / output drive - use for current matching 5 & 6 Hitachi's in RAID 0 for scratc and render outputs

all others - use 3 & 4 for backups

You should probably run PPBM5 and report the 4 "scores" to the PPBM5 site and also back here to get a reality check that everything is configured and working properly for your system.

Jim

• 2. Re: New user needs help with HD choices
            Jim_Simon Level 9

Drives 3 and 4 are the same size, so put the Exports on the faster, and the backups on the slower.

• 3. Re: New user needs help with HD choices
              JobJoe Level 1

You should probably run PPBM5 and report the 4 "scores" to the PPBM5 site and also back here to get a reality check that everything is configured and working properly for your system.

I just did that and submitted my results.  My computer's name is "Joe-P9X79-64", so will be looking to see how it compares to all the others.

• 4. Re: New user needs help with HD choices
                JEShort01 Level 4

What were the "scores" (they have not posted on the PPBM5 site yet)?

• 5. Re: New user needs help with HD choices
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The scores have not been posted but I did find them--Harm does the posting but he is off-line until the end of the week

"116","25","55","5","65"  These scores are from CS5.0.3

The disk I/O score is 116 which is not great but there is only one other i7-3930 with CS5.0 tested so it is hard to tell if that is a characteristic of the motherboard/cpu or not.  Definitely a second hard drive in RAID 0 would improve these results. .Have you turned compression off on the project drive

The MPEG2-DVD and H.264 CPU intensive scores of 25 and 55 are resonably good for CS5.0.  More RAM might help a little.and a better GPU would help slightly

The two Render Timeline scores are quite normal

Bill

• 6. Re: New user needs help with HD choices
                    JobJoe Level 1

How do I turn compression off on the project drive?

Also, unless I am missing something, the benchmark only seems to make use of one HD.  OK, well maybe two drives, as the project is on one and the OS and CS5 program is on a second HD.

• 7. Re: New user needs help with HD choices

Right click on the drive, go to "Properties" on the bottom of the "General" tab make sure both options do not have check marks .

People have so many different disk combinations that making a test to fit everyone is impossible.  So we simplified it to do the essential disk testing.to have all the benchmark project on one disk drive.  If for your own preposes want to use mutiple drives but for the script to work you will have to cut and paste into the folder that has the project file.  Notice do not copy and paste!

• 8. Re: New user needs help with HD choices
                        JobJoe Level 1

"116","25","55","5","65"  These scores are from CS5.0.3

Not sure what these numbers mean.  Is a lower number better?

• 9. Re: New user needs help with HD choices

Did you bother to read the rest of that post?  Look at the test results page

Yes, lower is better.

• 10. Re: New user needs help with HD choices
                            JobJoe Level 1

Definitely a second hard drive in RAID 0 would improve these results. .Have you turned compression off on the project drive

I did some work and created a raid0 array using my two 2TB WD Black HD's on the 6GB/s ports.  The ATTO score is about 300, which is the fastest drives in my system.  Add to that my other two HD's in raid 0.  I re-ran the test and submitted to the database.  I did see the original test results, but not the updated one.  The output-MPE.txt shows 84-25-54-69

• 11. Re: New user needs help with HD choices

Well that is a significant improvement in that your disk intensive test went from 116 to 84.  But unless there is something pecuilar about CS5 and the i7-39xx family a good score for Disk I/O I would guess is about 60.  We only have one other i7-39xx score with CS5.0.3 so it is hard to be certain what a good score would be, it has a high score also.  With other chip sets we find that CS5 and CS5.5 Disk I/O scores to be close to each other.  It will take several days typically to update the database.

If your Output-MPE file last number is 69 you made an error.  Your first submission the last number was 5

• 12. Re: New user needs help with HD choices
                                JobJoe Level 1

I appreciate the work you guys do.  Without the database of benchmarks, people like me would probably just go out and purchase different pieces of hardware without knowing what effect it would have on our systems, so again, thanks for the efforts.  Along those lines, I have been thinking that the weak point in my system is the video card.  I think I fixed the disk I/O as much as I want.  Can you tell by the benchmark results if the video card is now the bottleneck?  I am not interested in getting a better score just to say I have a better score, but rather to improve render time or transcode time.  Also, if and when I do the video card upgrade, is it OK to submit another test to the database?

• 13. Re: New user needs help with HD choices
                                  JEShort01 Level 4

JobJoe,

Yes, 3 cheers for Harm and Bill for supporting PPBM5 and also their ongoing work on PPBM6 that will replace it some day!!! This really is a useful way to identify bottlenecks and compare relative performance for various HW and configuration setups.

Jim

• 14. Re: New user needs help with HD choices

Jim,

If you just resubmit your results with the correction to your Rendering the Timline (Output-MPE.txt and Output.txt files) above you will find that your actual score is probably 168.  This would be the best score for a CS5 with an i7-39xx processor (do a sort on these two tabs).  Because you did not submit a proper score for MPE-on we had to use the MPE-off score you mistakenly submitted to give you a total score.

Really buying the best current graphics card (GTX 580) would be a waste of money.  The important criteria is the number of cores.

GPU-Cores.jpg

• 15. Re: New user needs help with HD choices
                                      JEShort01 Level 4

Bill,

I think that you meant to say "Joe or JobJoe" instead of "Jim".

Jim

• 16. Re: New user needs help with HD choices

Yes Jim, thanks for you being awake and catching my error.