15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2012 6:21 AM by BobLevine

Running Mac InDesign on a Microsoft SBS Windows server

charplow@earthlink.net

Our outside IT company has several users who simultaneously run Macs and Windows machines on their Microsorft Small Business Server 2008. We are a Windows shop using Quark for Windows and are considering switching our ad design and page layout to Mac InDesign on Mac machines. We want to continue running Microsoft Office and other PC applications on a few PCs on the same network. Is this possible and practical? Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Running Mac InDesign on a Microsoft SBS Windows server
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

So what's the question here? Whether InDesign will run on your Macs? If they have the power, yes. Can you run both Mac and PC on the same network? Lots of folks do it, but I can't trell you waht specific configurations they use (I'm not one of them).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Running Mac InDesign on a Microsoft SBS Windows server
            charplow@earthlink.net Level 1

Thank you, Peter. We do not own any Macs now. I'm hoping to learn if it is practical to run Mac InD on Macs connected to our Microsoft SBS 2007/2008 network.

Charlie

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Running Mac InDesign on a Microsoft SBS Windows server
              Stix Hart Level 5

Given the popularity of Micosoft SBS server the answer would be a 99.9% yes.  The 0.1% no is because of the myriads of ways you can set up a server.

However why switch from Windows to Macs just for InDesign?  If you've got good Windows machines just bung InDesign on them and you're away.  As far as using inDesign goes there is basically no difference at all between platform, indeed we seem to see a few more unsolvable problems on the mac side.

• 4. Re: Running Mac InDesign on a Microsoft SBS Windows server

Your problems, if any, willn ot be with running ID on the Macs, but in integrating the Macs in the SBS network. As Stix says, this is a fairly common task, but no two networks are identical. I'll echo his question, too. Why spend money on Macs just to run ID? Is there some other reason you want to have them?

• 5. Re: Running Mac InDesign on a Microsoft SBS Windows server
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I’ll throw that out there, too. There is zero reason to move to Mac just to run InDesign.

Bob

• 6. Re: Running Mac InDesign on a Microsoft SBS Windows server
                    John Hawkinson Level 5

Bob wrote:

I’ll throw that out there, too. There is zero reason to move to Mac just to run InDesign.

Nah, there are plenty of reasons.

They are mostly reasons of personal taste, but that doesn't make them non-existant. I tend to think they aren't compelling, but as a multiplatform user, I certainly prefer ID on the Mac.

(Some reasons might be: prefer the Mac interface for design software -- a controversial opinion perhaps, but definitely true for some; better diagnostics when the program crashes, this is big for me but not for you;  one more modifier key, you get Cmd,Opt,Control,Shift instead of Control,Alt,Shift, which means you can bind local functions to Control that you can't under Windows; you can turn off the Application Frame!; support for both AFP and SMB; drag-and-drop to icons as well as windows. Hmm, that's it off the top of my head, though there are probably others, though, and probably some windows advantages that I can never summon to mind...)

• 7. Re: Running Mac InDesign on a Microsoft SBS Windows server
                      [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

On Windows I haveinstant access to all of the menus with the Alt key, and I can use Tab to quickly navigate around dialogs. (It's a shame Adobe decided to create their own dialog interface, 'cause they still missed out on a number of basic moves. Stll, on the Mac none of that'll work so the re-write was useless after all.)

But ... the modern Macs are so *pretty*. Yeah it does count. Although not a day goes by I regretted stepping up from Snow Leopard to Lion.

• 8. Re: Running Mac InDesign on a Microsoft SBS Windows server
                        John Hawkinson Level 5

and I can use Tab to quickly navigate around dialogs.

Wait, how is this Windows-specific?

On Windows I haveinstant access to all of the menus with the Alt key

"On the Mac I have instant access to all the menus with Ctrl-F2." Yeah, just kidding, that doesn't really compare.

• 9. Re: Running Mac InDesign on a Microsoft SBS Windows server

No…there aren’t. And FWIW, if the situation were reversed I’d say the same thing.

There is ZERO reason to switch platforms one way or the other just to run InDesign(and yes, there are exceptions to every rule, but I’m guessing this isn’t one of them) .

Bob

• 10. Re: Running Mac InDesign on a Microsoft SBS Windows server

John Hawkinson wrote:

and I can use Tab to quickly navigate around dialogs.

Wait, how is this Windows-specific?

On regular Windows apps you get to visit every single control in every dialog. Native Mac apps ought behave the same if you set Full Keyboard Access (although it's a bit of a shoddy "hack", I guess, because there are plenty dialogs where it doesn't work as intended), but since InDesign dialogs are not "native" dialogs, they do not respond to tabbing even though I set a system-wide preference. Tabbing only jumps from one input field to the other on my Mac:

Screen Shot 2012-01-02 at 9.36.11 PM.png

• 11. Re: Running Mac InDesign on a Microsoft SBS Windows server

Let me even out things by mentioning my favourite most-hated InDesign On Windows bug: the one where you press Alt accidentally and release it, and then the menu bar steals focus away and you can bang away at the keyboard for noth', until you finally notice the tiny "highlighted" File menu and press Escape.

• 12. Re: Running Mac InDesign on a Microsoft SBS Windows server
                                charplow@earthlink.net Level 1

Thank you. All these comments are very helpful. My general take from comments I have heard over time have been very favorable about InD on Macs. Our own experience with a fairly current version of Quark for Windows is only one of tolerance over the years. It seemed reasonable to consider Mac InD, but I get the feeling from your response and that of others that switching to Windows InD may make more sense.

• 13. Re: Running Mac InDesign on a Microsoft SBS Windows server
                                  John Hawkinson Level 5

Jongware wrote:

On regular Windows apps you get to visit every single control in every dialog. Native Mac apps ought behave the same if you set Full Keyboard Access (although it's a bit of a shoddy "hack", I guess, because there are plenty dialogs where it doesn't work as intended), but since InDesign dialogs are not "native" dialogs, they do not respond to tabbing even though I set a system-wide preference. Tabbing only jumps from one input field to the other on my Mac:

Oh, this problem! I seem to recall you mentioning it before (deja vu...). Yeah, InDesign does not reflect the Ctrl-F7 preference. I don't think it's a hack per se. I assume it is an InDesign bug. Mumble mumble OWL/EVE. I'll try to find out if it's considered a bug... Maybe this will be fixed for free whenever they get around to moving to Cocoa?

Let me even out things by mentioning my favourite most-hated InDesign On Windows bug: the one where you press Alt accidentally and release it, and then the menu bar steals focus away

Err...isn't that a feature?

Honestly, I find myself using Ctrl-F2 on Macs a lot more than I use Alt under Windows. I'm not sure why it is, it certainly doesn't make any sense. I guess it's probably a tangential artifact of the different purposes I use both OSes for.

I'm really puzzled by Bob:

There is ZERO reason to switch platforms one way or the other just to run InDesign(and yes, there are exceptions to every rule, but I’m guessing this isn’t one of them) .

That's just not so. There are plenty of reasons; some might not agree with them, and they might not be compelling for any particular purpose, but they are reasons. Opinions, yes, but reasons too. I guess Bob doesn't feel strongly, which I find surprising. Even though both of us use both platforms. Go figure.

Anyhow, back to Charlie:

Thank you. All these comments are very helpful. My general take from comments I have heard over time have been very favorable about InD on Macs. Our own experience with a fairly current version of Quark for Windows is only one of tolerance over the years. It seemed reasonable to consider Mac InD, but I get the feeling from your response and that of others that switching to Windows InD may make more sense.

This is in many ways a deeply personal issue. You can make good arguments about why you should switch between Quark and ID, and that switch is not really just a religious issue. There are clear differences between features among the producs. (Though there were times where the case was a lot stronger than it is now). But for Macs versus PCs, it is definitely an issue that affects how people work, almost one of religion.

So you need to look at what your design staff want, what they feel comfortable with, and whether they want to be challenged by moving to something new, or are thankful to throw away what they have today. You also need to look at what your IT staff (maybe it is you?) are willing to support [and what they are capable of]. While supporting Macs is not harder than supporting PCs, it is different, and supporting an environment with both is definitely harder than supporting an environment with only one. (Of course, it has some nice redundancy benefits too).

I would definitely say, if your designers/users want a particular OS and your IT staff can support it and the budget is available for the requisite hardware and software, you should absolutely let the users pick. Happy users are productive workers.

• 14. Re: Running Mac InDesign on a Microsoft SBS Windows server

Why not install a trial of ID on one of the Windows machines and see how it goes? There is definitely a paradigm shift and a learning curve, and there will be grumbling from Quark users while they learn to think like ID users. Learning a new platform (If they don't already know Macs) is going to increase the pain. ID files are completely cross-platform as long as no third-party plugins that are only available on one side or the other are used and as long as you limit your use of fonts to either OpenType, Windows TrueType (both of which work natively on Macintosh OS X) or Windows Type 1, which will work in InDesign if placed in the private InDesign Fonts folder on Mac systems.

• 15. Re: Running Mac InDesign on a Microsoft SBS Windows server

Actually, I will back off that stance a little bit. For DPS work you will need a Mac to build an app and submit it to Apple.

But the actual design work and folio building can be done on either platform.

Beside that, I still say it’s personal preference.

Bob