4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2012 8:14 AM by Flipped Nickel

Workflow Question

Flipped Nickel

Greetings all and Happy New Year.

I have a workflow question that I have been struggling with.

I am shooting AVCHD 1080p/24 fps and quite often I need to take clips from Premiere CS5.5 to After FX for stabilization and back to the timeline in Premiere.

I have tried dynamic link and everything works fine as far as linking, but the dynamically linked clip is sluggish playing back in Premiere.

What is my best export option in After FX to keep the quality and playability of the original file without going uncompressed and having a huge file that will not play.

I am using an I7 with 12 gigs ram and internal raid with an Nvidia 560 TI with 2 gigs of ram, with Mercury playback engine enabled. This machine flies through this source material real time and most of the time it will handle uncompressed files, but not all of the time.

Am I missing something or is there another way to get in and out of After Fx maintaining the properties of the source footage. What do most people use as an intermediate codec for this workflow?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Workflow Question
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

is there another way to get in and out of After Fx maintaining the properties of the source footage

There is none. AE does not do any pass-through, it always fully decodes and expands all data to uncompressed RGB buffers and re-compresses it anew. For Premiere, image sequences work quite well (TIFF,TGA,JPEG, not PNG or PSD!), but depending on the kind of footage, H.264 with a very high data rate may also be acceptable, even if it adds anotehr level of compression.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Workflow Question
            Flipped Nickel Level 1

Thank You for the reply!

I am starting to get my head wrapped around this workflow as I have been experimenting all evening. It only makes sense that if you dynamically link a clip from Premiere to After Fx and apply some pretty heavy fx that at some point in time it will have to be rendered before it will  play smoothly in Premiere.

I experimented with rendered comps tonight and uncompressed avi's data rates were just too high, however I did get good results using Black Magic HD 4:2:2 codec at reasonable bitrates with no noticeable loss compared to the source file. The Cineform X 64 vs 6.0.0 looked good as well at decent and workable bitrates.

I really wish there was a checkbox in After FX like there is in Premiere that said "Match Sequence Settings", but as you stated it uncompresses it at import, so now I get it.

Still struggling with my Decklink card and having unsolveable audio sync issues using Black Magic sequence settings in Premiere...that is a pretty expensive piece of hardware that I am just about to give up on, but that is another issue all together.

Thanks for your help!

ES

• 3. Re: Workflow Question
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Anything you do in AE has to be rendered. The same is true for any compositing app I've ever used. Even Motion must render before things can playback smoothly. Motion renders in the background and uses the GPU so it works very quickly and appears to be generating real time effects until you stack so much on it that it starts to bog down.

Any NLE worth it purchase price should playback several streams of unaltered video and unaltered audio without issue. I use Black Magic codecs all the time at several locations where I've freelanced over the years. If I ever have an audio sync problem in the PPro or FCP I simply render the audio and they go away. Have you tried this? Rendering audio only in a PPro sequence takes only a few moments.

renderAudio.png

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Workflow Question
                Flipped Nickel Level 1

"If I ever have an audio sync problem in the PPro or FCP I simply render the audio and they go away. Have you tried this? Rendering audio only in a PPro sequence takes only a few moments."

Thanks for the reply Rick,

I have tried this, but it really didn't change anything. Video appears to be a few frames behind audio using the Decklink HDMI out.

The video appears to play slightly smoother using a Blackmagic sequence, but if I choose  anything other than Blackmagic Extra or Blackmagic Uncompressed in the settings tab of the New Sequence pallete, I cannot get the output to go to the HDMI out of the Decklink card. All other settings such as  Blackmagic AVCHD 1080p/23.976 ( which you would logically pick to match the footage) will not output through the decklink card and continue to use my 560 ti's output, then the player settings within Premiere do nothing different when switching from Adobe playback to Blackmagic playback. I have also had some fairly serious crashes using Blackmagic sequences in Premiere. Still don't know what the answer is, but I have never had a successful project with the Decklink card and sequence settings in all of the years I have owned it...

I'll keep searching though.

Thanks

ES